Exhaust Velocity | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

aklmfreak

Reaction score
City, State
Pensacola, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport 4.0 SOHC
Ok so just like everyone else on here, i have come to a point where i would like to redo my exhaust...

I know on exhaust you have to find the correct pipe size that balances exhaust gas velocity and back pressure (a pipe small enough to keep exhaust velocity up, but big enough that it's not restrictive).

my question is... if i switch to a less restrictive aftermarket muffler, does anyone think it would be beneficial to reduce the stock 2 1/4" piping after the cats down to 2" and use dual 2" tailpipes from the muffler back?

in my mind it seems like you could...
1. replace the factory muffler with a performance muffler to decrease backpressure, then...
2. decrease the pipe size to increase exhaust velocity since you dont have to worry about the restriction of the factory muffler

does this make any sense, and does anyone understand what i'm asking?

here are some diagrams to describe what i'd like to do...
this is my factory exhaust....
notice the 2 1/4" piping all the way up to the stock muffler
FactoryExhaust.jpg

Here's what i would like to do for my custom cat-back exhaust...
notice the smaller 2" piping that, in my mind, would increase exhaust velocity and improve performance
FutureExhaust.jpg

any ideas? suggestions? comments? does anyone else have this setup? does my question make sense or should i take it to a "Fluid Dynamics and Molecular Physics" forum to get an accurate answer?:D

Back