Experts, I need some help.. (Rear axle assembly) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Experts, I need some help.. (Rear axle assembly)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

replacing the pinion seal and crush sleeve. In which case it take about 190 ft pounds or torque to crush the sleeve.
I did mine in my driveway and it was a *****
I used a beam style foot pound 2foot long torque wrench
It was the rite length to do it under the truck
And sure enough it read 190 - 200 pounds

Alright have my new bearings and seal and will start working on it this afternoon. I also wanted to mark this video as well that I found to be helpful too.

Alright have my new bearings and seal and will start working on it this afternoon. I also wanted to mark this video as well that I found to be helpful too.

Yep. That pretty much adds video to the steps I provided earlier.

OK wanted to check before I move on

Removed crosspin and then went to push axles in. The slight spin caused this little cross pin cog fall out. Is this something that needs to be marked for specific replacement or do I just work it back in opposite the other when Im done.

Secondly, do the bearing caps have to be removed, I only ask because the vid in my last post they did not... But it was not a ford explorer.

Thanks!

IMG_20181025_183426.jpg

Yea looks like caps do have to come off... And holy crap do they reek. I thought gear oil in the diff smelled bad.... I turned the bolts and this new unholy stench punched me in the face. Like 1000 rotting differentials combined.

Actually scratch that.. I don't think you have to remove the caps afterall now that I'm looking at it

If your just doing axle bearings, then no, the caps stay on. If your removing the carrier gear assembly, then yes, they hold it in.

That small gear that fell out is a spider gear, and it just slips back in, the same as the other side.

Yea looks like caps do have to come off... And holy crap do they reek. I thought gear oil in the diff smelled bad.... I turned the bolts and this new unholy stench punched me in the face. Like 1000 rotting differentials combined.

I warned you that the spider gears may walk out. It's not a big deal, but you'll need to "walk" them back in during reassembly. Not sure what you mean by "caps". Do you mean the curved washers that go with the spider gears pictured? They need to go back with the gears. I like to replace them where they came out from, but it's probably not important.

Don't pull anything else out of the diff (like spacers or the carrier bearing caps). Just remove what's necessary to pull the axles out.

When the cross pin is out, try to only turn the differential slowly and keep the spider gears in place. It's not too hard to put the spider gears back in, they go in in pairs. It just takes some time to get the hand of putting one in and also get the opposite one in the right opposing location. Take your time, you'll figure it out.

Very good. How did the axles look, the surface where the bearing rides? Hopefully they look perfect, though you do have four to choose from.

No, the other end, where the axle rides inside the bearing. That's where the bearings wear out and begin to damage the axles. The tiny metal particles get between the axles and bearing rollers, and they wear down the axle. That's why I try to replace the axle bearings and seals regularly, those are the weakest links. The other parts seem to last longer or take some contamination better.

Ohh those look like this.

Guess I should really clean the ends up before reinstall.

Also I'm wondering why there is a seam on one side of the axle in the tube but not on the other side of the axle in that tube

15405182349618910441245415153536.jpg

My mistake there's seams on both sides. On one side I found a lot of little rubber pellets or something inside the tube I don't know what they are, been running a rag through trying to clean them out.

Maybe from cover gasket?

Guess I should really clean the ends up before reinstall.

Don't go crazy cleaning it up. The end you have pictured is where the bearing rides and is a finely ground surface.

Perhaps a small shot or 400 roll sand paper if they have any scoring on the faces?

Other than that just brake clean to get the goop off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seals are only on the outer sides of the tubes.

Some 8.8 Assemblies came with a small rubber O-Ring under the C-Clip on the carrier side.

I never put those back on and have never had problems.

Back