Explorer 2002 horrible grinding noise while moving | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 2002 horrible grinding noise while moving

E.B.

Reaction score
City, State
New Orleans
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer XLS
I have a 2002 ford explorer. I've had it for about 10 years now. In the last year I've moved from new Orleans to Delaware. I was driving about 70 miles a day for work and after dealing with the winter I had to replace the tires. My brakes also went bad and needed to be replaced. That was about 8 months ago. For about 3 months now there has been a whirling noise coming from, what I believe is, the front passenger side wheel. It would only happen between 40 and 55 mph and go away while turning right. I believe it would get worse when turning left. (I haven't driven the car for a while now.) Now, in the last two weeks the car has developed a horrible grinding noise. It's very loud and came out of nowhere after I had parked the car and returned to it. The grinding noise happens in drive or reverse and any speeds. From what I can tell it comes from the rear or the car. Also it does not seem to be connected to tire rotation. It sounds like the bottom of the car is about to fall off. Constant grinding and the occasional clunk.

Also, I don't believe my car can shift into 4x4. I've tried pushing the buttons and nothing changed as far as the grinding noises.

Any advice?

-Mike

Kids in the car? Playing Miley Cyrus?

Noise comes only when moving ? Any unusual vibration or anything when you shift from park and still hold brake ?

Back