Explorer 2004 parasitic drain engine fuse #15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 2004 parasitic drain engine fuse #15

wade wynn

Reaction score
City, State
franklin tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
First time poster or maybe a poser. I own a Ford Explorer from 2004. I am the original owner and it has about 180k miles. I had a 4yr old battery die and I bought a new one about 2 months back. We had a recent cold snap and the battery was dead. I "think" I have a parasitic drain. Here is what I have done thus far. I charged the battery at my local shop. Bought a test light but that was not good enough so bought a multimeter. Did the parasitic test and was hovering around 3.4 amps. Currently I am hovering around .650 ma. When I pull the fuse under the hood #15 which is Memory (PCM/DEATC/Cluster) Courtesy lights it drops to .100 MA. ish. Reviewed wiring diagrams and pulled all my internal light, puddle lamps, mirrors, etc. I feel like I am out of options besides taking it to the dealership or mechanic. Anything I would be missing? Alternator?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't check it until after the battery saver relay has shut off. Not sure how long the timer is on it. 15 or 30 min I'm thinking.

You can know when it's turned off by leaving a courtesy light (the one that is aimed at a seat) and waiting for it to turn off.

If it then drops to .1 amp you're good as far as a drain check goes. .65 is high. how has charging been?

@wade wynn
F1.15 feeds only PCM Instrument Cluster: Air Bag light and Low Fluid Level, Master Cyl. light, and EATC (Electronic Automatic Temperature Control Module, is so equipped. 3.4 Amps. likely was a lamp on somewhere, which should have timed out and turned off. This info. from Ford Wiring Diagrams, 2004 Explorer.

Careful, don't confuse .650 AMPS with Milliamps, that's 650 Milliamps, over 1/2 Ampere. Pretty high, IMO. Alternator not likely, I think, but to prove it out, disconnect it and then look for battery drain. If still there, Alt. OK.

Don't go to dealer yet, some further discussion might solve it. A start might be the Accessory Delay Relay, located in the Central Junction Box, under the dash, C2075. After waiting 20 minutes, yank it out, check for current drain at batt. imp

@wade wynn
F1.15 feeds only PCM Instrument Cluster: Air Bag light and Low Fluid Level, Master Cyl. light, and EATC (Electronic Automatic Temperature Control Module, is so equipped. 3.4 Amps. likely was a lamp on somewhere, which should have timed out and turned off. This info. from Ford Wiring Diagrams, 2004 Explorer.

Careful, don't confuse .650 AMPS with Milliamps, that's 650 Milliamps, over 1/2 Ampere. Pretty high, IMO. Alternator not likely, I think, but to prove it out, disconnect it and then look for battery drain. If still there, Alt. OK.

Don't go to dealer yet, some further discussion might solve it. A start might be the Accessory Delay Relay, located in the Central Junction Box, under the dash, C2075. After waiting 20 minutes, yank it out, check for current drain at batt. imp
Yeah I pulled the Alternator but was still getting that reading. I have only pulled fuses under the dash. I will pull the relays there and see if that does it. Correct also on the MA vs Amps.

Did you ever solve this? I'm having the same issue, I think. .5 amp draw but drops when I pull fuse 15.

Did you ever solve this? I'm having the same issue, I think. .5 amp draw but drops when I pull fuse 15.
I'm in the same boat folks... yet to figure it out.. I'm holding at .40A... would love to know what anyone found thanks...

Yeah I pulled the Alternator but was still getting that reading. I have only pulled fuses under the dash. I will pull the relays there and see if that does it. Correct also on the MA vs Amps.
I'm in the same boat folks... yet to figure it out.. I'm holding at .40A... would love to know what anyone found thanks...

@wade wynn

First time poster or maybe a poser. I own a Ford Explorer from 2004. I am the original owner and it has about 180k miles. I had a 4yr old battery die and I bought a new one about 2 months back. We had a recent cold snap and the battery was dead. I "think" I have a parasitic drain. Here is what I have done thus far. I charged the battery at my local shop. Bought a test light but that was not good enough so bought a multimeter. Did the parasitic test and was hovering around 3.4 amps. Currently I am hovering around .650 ma. When I pull the fuse under the hood #15 which is Memory (PCM/DEATC/Cluster) Courtesy lights it drops to .100 MA. ish. Reviewed wiring diagrams and pulled all my internal light, puddle lamps, mirrors, etc. I feel like I am out of options besides taking it to the dealership or mechanic. Anything I would be missing? Alternator?
So, I'm guessing no one has ever ever solved this? I have the same issue on a 2002. I'm wondering if everyone just sells their Explorers, like the person I bought mine from, because no one ever figures it out...................................Hmmmmmmm...........???????????

I don't drive my 02 as much as I used to. Every once in a while noticed it cranking slower then normal. Thought the battery was going after jumping it twice in one day. Brought the truck home, and was ready to change the battery and noticed (but forgot) it was only 2 yrs old. Then started to check wires at alternator which were fine...changed that a couple yrs ago too. Checked ground wire off battery and I lifted it right out from left side of engine with the terminal end in tact. Rather then try to figure out how to reattach to the block (i couldn't really see where it was originally mounted), I drilled and burnished a hole in power steering pump bracket. No problem since. Just throwing that out there that before changing a battery have a look at the wiring.

I don't drive my 02 as much as I used to. Every once in a while noticed it cranking slower then normal. Thought the battery was going after jumping it twice in one day. Brought the truck home, and was ready to change the battery and noticed (but forgot) it was only 2 yrs old. Then started to check wires at alternator which were fine...changed that a couple yrs ago too. Checked ground wire off battery and I lifted it right out from left side of engine with the terminal end in tact. Rather then try to figure out how to reattach to the block (i couldn't really see where it was originally mounted), I drilled and burnished a hole in power steering pump bracket. No problem since. Just throwing that out there that before changing a battery have a look at the wiring.
Thanks rocco123, I'll check that tomorrow. I'm just out of ideas at this point, and any suggestion may help. Thank you

Thanks rocco123, I'll check that tomorrow. I'm just out of ideas at this point, and any suggestion may help. Thank you
Will check that on mine as well.. good thought…fixing to change-out all coolant hoses.. pull radiator and “maintenance” the plastic ends as they are leaking.. figure at this point it is not cracks but rather age.. so’ll uncrimp.. clean up.. inspect .. apply Form-a-Gasket .. reassemble & see it that corrects the leakage.. great time to check ground you mentioned there!.. thanks

Hav same problem in my case was gauge cluster

Thanks for the post jzak56, how did you track it down, and how did you fix it? if I may ask....?

Back