Explorer 2008 stalling when slowing down for corners.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 2008 stalling when slowing down for corners..

Pang

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer XLT 2008
Hi everyone my first post so be gentle!!!

I have a 2008 explorer which i have recently serviced, Transmission fluid change and filter change as well.

For the past two weeks, my car has been acting up. When I drive it I feel like there is a lot of torque when I am braking, as if the car wants to go forward when I apply the brakes to slow it down, and when I slow it down to a near stop for a sharp turn it stalls. The last time this happened I nearly had an accident.

I took it for a computer check and nothing came up except a few PATS errors.

Please help, my wife is pregnant and the the last thing I want is an accident with her on board.:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are we talking about a 6 or 8 cylinder? Mine was jolting and shuttering until I replaced the coil packs in my 4.6l. Runs much smoother now.

Mines a 6 cylinder 4.0ltr.
Thanks for the reply, ok might try and replace all six plugs but before I do, shouldnt there be misfire or sputter if uts the plugs??? so far my engine has never sputtered...

My car works on the first crank and the computer doesn't throw out any codes. The cars just stalls intermittently after driving at around 80km/h and then having to brake for a sharp turn down to 20-30kmph and thats when I feel alot of torque in the engine like if I was to let go off the brake the car would lunge and then the engine would just die/stall...

It sounds like the transmission could have been over or underfilled after the service. You need to have the shop that did the work check the level. I really doubt that your spark plugs have anything to do with the issue at hand here.

Ok so was driving again and then my revs just shot up, causing my car to lunge all over the place.braked and the car revs went all the way to 4-5k rpm and then stalled. Then get engine light and RSC sign in dash. Restarted car and finally got a check engine light on so checked the code, turns out its a TP failure...? The guy said to buy some carburettor cleaner and to clean the air manifold. Problem has not reoccurred since, but hey it's only been 12 hours :)

Back