Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

How to: Explorer 3rd row delete & police package install

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods' started by jrgoffin, December 24, 2014.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. jrgoffin

jrgoffin Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '14 Explorer Sport 401A
      Part 2
      - - - - -

The brace is now mounted up with all the trim panels re-installed (shown with the original side access covers back in temporarily). The two studs at the front of the brace are used to hold a bracket that is part of the police package, but I left them and nuts there for no real reason (they will be covered anyway). If you don't have the need to add the supports and panels, you could probably even leave everything just like this:

[​IMG]

Next up, the foam supports. With the original liner left in the spare tire area, I couldn't wedge the side supports in, so I had to loosen the brace slightly to make some room. The side supports actually each have a clip underneath that holds them in place in the police version, but they aren't present in the civilian versions (and were lost when I bought the parts). I may remove the liner at some point anyway, so if the supports aren't tight, a strip of velcro could come in handy, but for now I left it there. Note the fuel funnel in its new location.

[​IMG]

For reference, here is another picture from a PD version that shows all the foam supports and floor panels removed. You can see the forward bracket on the top of the brace (it bolts to the floor pan just behind where the center console would attach if it has that option). I don't think the lack of that bracket in a civilian version is a big deal, but some guys have apparently just cut those studs since they aren't used. Also circled are the forward holes (from the "U"-supports) that will hold those long bolts for the forward floor panel:

[​IMG]

After all the supports were in, I knew the spare tire cover wouldn't fit, but that was not a big deal since this is just storage now. If I want even more room, I'll just remove the tire and put an inflator kit in there (here is one of those kits for reference - this particular one residing in my Cobra). This is how the complete area looks in the police version with the full-sized spare:

[​IMG]

This is the underside of the main panel in a PD version I looked at before I acquired my parts. It is pretty beefy:

[​IMG]

Once the brace was tightened back up, the forward floor panel goes over the top using the two 80mm long bolts. The original "U" supports that came out, again provide one hole for this bolt, you just have to line it up and use an awl to poke a hole in the carpet on each side. After that panel is lined up and snugged down, the larger panel slips right in. You can't see the long filler panel that is right below the latch for the liftgate (has to be removed to get the spare tire cover up), but it had to be left out for the large panel to seat itself.

As an alternative, there is also the Havis (<---Link) steel floor with the hydraulic kit which looks to be very solid and might be adaptable to the civilian versions. It looks as it covers most of the floor and has a space towards the front for a small cabinet or additional floor plate. In any case, its price is slightly less than the plastic floor panels from Ford!

Here is how it everything looks (and cleaned up more after I took the picture):

[​IMG]

The area under the forward panel actually has a couple recesses for some more storage, so that is nice too since it also hinges up. I was planning to use some of my black felt to cover most of it so it looks better (especially since someone at the original PD, again, cut a chunk out of the center), but maybe I'll tackle that in the spring. For now, it is fine since it is completely hidden behind the second row:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After that, I tossed my Husky liner back in along with the cargo net and stuck my tool bag and some other odd's and end's under the floor where they will be out of the way:

[​IMG]

The Husky liner isn't actually a perfect fit since the edges of the floor panels sit a bit lower, but if you are real picky, you can get a new liner for the MKT or Flex (which is rectangular) and it will probably sit down nicely. For comparison, the picture below shows how my Husky liner fit with the original seats folded flat. Note that at its front edge, it was about 4" higher than it is now:

[​IMG]

Cont.

Last edited: April 22, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jrgoffin

jrgoffin Member

'14 Explorer Sport 401A
      Part 3
      - - - - -

One of the bummers about this swap is that you lose the tie-down rings (under the original access covers) that are part of the third-row hinge, shown in the diagram below. There is probably a way to fabricate a piece of steel to match the original end cap on the hinge if you really want the rings, but for now, that is just a minor inconvenience.

[​IMG]

Here are a couple more views from a new Police Utility showing again how the original stuff looks. I also added the two correct small insert panels but did not take specific pictures (the part numbers are also shown in the first post):

[​IMG]

In this picture, you can see the empty seat belt slots, and just below the liftgate, the open space is barely visible where the filler panel resides in the civilian versions (removed so the flat panel will fit):

[​IMG]

Also, here are the Ford diagrams for reference.

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]

As I edited this and was re-attaching all the images (through TinyPic - thanks peterk9 for the recommendation), I also decided to remove the Husky liner and replace it with one sized for the Flex/MKT so it sets down flat. I found these padded versions on eBay (seller ID "epesica") for a very reasonable $25 each, so this is on the way and should fit perfectly and make for a cleaner look:

[​IMG]

Any questions at all, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Last edited: April 22, 2018
    4. jrgoffin

jrgoffin Member

'14 Explorer Sport 401A
      Bumped since all the pictures have been restored, although the install is now spread over three posts.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Gilles Brassard

Gilles Brassard New Member

City, State:
      Alma, QC
      2012, Explorer, Limited
      If you kept the motor assembly for the left 3rd row seat. I am looking forward to huy it from you.

Please contact me or post reply here

6. jrgoffin

jrgoffin Member

'14 Explorer Sport 401A
      It’s mentioned in the very first post - mine is a ‘14 with the manual fold 3rd row.

7. JasonB13

JasonB13 New Member

City, State:
      PA
      2014 Explorer base model
      oustanding write up ,But I wish I had not read it Because now I want to do it LOL I even found a wrecked PIU at a pull a part by me need to go look if the parts are still there!!! UGH WHAT HAVE YOU DONE HAHA

8. jrgoffin

jrgoffin Member

'14 Explorer Sport 401A
      Glad this thread is still helping out. Definitely a mod I am happy to have undertaken since I do like having the storage space under the floor.

As an update, I did purchase a new liner since the one I showed two posts back, while decent, was a bit small and slid all over the place. What I did was pick up a new one from Maxliner (<----Link) that is for the '09-19 Flex and '10-'17 MKT which fits perfect. I would have gone with the Husky version, but this one had edges that weren't as pronounced (makes it look better back there), and was about half the price.

Here's the new tray as it looks laid flat:

[​IMG]

Installed, with some home-made bungee straps that cross the back to hold anything down that I stash there. The tray hasn't completely flattened out yet since it was a bit cold, but looks much better:

[​IMG]

I picked up a four-pack of tie-down rings off eBay and bolted them to the front panel bolts, so the straps hook to them nicely and then are attached to the cargo net on the back end (I just usually leave it tucked under the floor so it's handy).

[​IMG]

I'll eventually bolt the other two down to the mounting points that are under the side covers (they can be used any time if you pop the covers off) since those bolts have a sturdier attachment to the frame. For now, the two towards the front work perfect to hold lighter loads such as boxes, luggage, groceries, etc., and are easy to pop off if I don't need them.

9. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Looks a lot like the cargo liner I had for my 2014 MKT except that the MKT liner has a raised edge all the way around. I still use it in combination with my OEM Explorer liner when carrying things with the 2nd row folded.

Peter

10. VCFP153

VCFP153 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ormond Beach FL
      2017 PIU
      Which really should be CDO, because alphabetical.

• Like Like x 1