Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Explorer 4.0 engine noise lifters or timing chain

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by danofoak, March 11, 2019.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. danofoak

danofoak New Member

City, State:
      Saint Louis Misspuri
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1997 Mountaineer
      . Hey guys, my 2005 Explorer 4.0 started making this noise shortly after I changed my oil. It had previously made a lifter noise , but only on startup.oddlywrnt pretty much away after oil change, the car couple days later started making this noise. Oil was full synthetic 5 w 30.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. swshawaii

swshawaii Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
      '05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
      Sounds very similar to the mystery noise I had. Try holding a piece of rubber hose or mechanics stethoscope to your ear and touching the rear of the passenger valve cover and front of the driver side valve cover where the plastic timing chain guides are. My rattle was coming from the rear of the passenger valve cover so I removed it and found the rear guide intact. Took a chance and drained one quart of oil and added one 32 ounce bottle of unconcentrated Rislone engine treatment. After 5 minutes of idling the rattle was gone. Got very lucky.

4. danofoak

danofoak New Member

City, State:
      Saint Louis Misspuri
      1997 Mountaineer
      Wow. Well I would feel very lucky if I did that also. Might try it because it couldn't hurt. If I do have damage it is already there anyway .

• Like Like x 1
    5. Jeff carr

Jeff carr New Member

City, State:
      Port orchard
      2005 explorer xlt
      Mine is making the exact same noise after getting my transmission replaced. What ended up being the problem?