Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

Ford has a special service message about this problem and has to due with windshield mouldings

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford has a special service message about this problem and has to due with windshield mouldings

Thanks for the info. Is there any way to view this or reference it? Will my dealer know about this if I schedule service?

My xlt had the same problem. Brought it in and it was fixed. It appears that the early builds had a misaligned gasket and bracket. Alls well so far. 3500 miles so far and averaging 22.3!

We drove into a 30 MPH headwind today doing about 60 & we had the famous A piller noise. Ours sounded like a buzz or a trapped bumble bee, it was in the top corner of the passenger A piller & somewhat to the left. I looked for anything loose or a large gap when I got home & the only gap I saw was the leading edge of the plastic bar that the roof rail is fastened to. I see the fixes posted above & will be contacting the dealer to see if that is my problem also.
Thanks for all of you here posting this stuff, it's a great forum!

I've noticed what I would describe as a kind of "shutter" at highway speeds. Can just about feel it in the car but I wonder if this is what you are describing. I was not sure how to describe it to the dealer because it does not occur all the time and seems to be related to wind speed.

forgot to mention mine was built 2/22, so it's not one of the early ones either.

Hey gang,

I get a noticable rattle from the front A-pillars when on the interstate and there is a heavy cross-wind. Anyone else noticed this?

Just wondering if I should have it looked at or if there is a fix...

4,000 miles and climbing!

Yes, I have been battling this with Ford Dealer for the 3 weeks I've had vehicle. Ford claims they do not have a fix at this point. crosswinds get under the plastic windshield moulding, and creates vibrating noise! Blue masking tape along the moulding proves the problem. Obviously not an acceptable fix! Very frustrating and annoying! About ready to trade it off for a jeep Grand cherokee! Good Luck!

If somebody gives me a vin # i can print the ssm for you guys.

my vin is 1FMHK8D87BGA25012

Thank you in advance! My vin is 1FMHK8F80BGA25057

Waiting...........................I got the ok from my dealer to take mine to the body shop.

I ran those 2 vin # and the special service message didnt show up. Both those vins were february build dates and I think the issue is on early builds. If i find the message i will post it.

I also have this issue, noticed it just recently on my interstate trips to Omaha for both driver and passenger side A-pillars. I've heard it only when there's strong head-winds like others have mentioned. I can floor it to 85mph with no head-wind and not hear it but I can also drive at ~70mph with a head-wind and there it is.

Mine was an early February build date, 25017 VIN.

I ran those 2 vin # and the special service message didnt show up. Both those vins were february build dates and I think the issue is on early builds. If i find the message i will post it.

Swetrid - My vin # is 1FMHK7F84BGA10166

Would you be able to look-up mine as well?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for running it! It would appear to me ford has an inherent design flaw in the plastic A-pillar mouldings, and will be an issue until they come up with a new moulding design!
Thanks again for your effort--Lon

Waiting...........................I got the ok from my dealer to take mine to the body shop.
Terry, if you have any luck at the body shop would you please let us know? That would be a great help, as my dealer and ford don't seem to know what to do! Very Frustrating! On top of the problem riddled My sync/My touch, I have more rattles/squeaks/vibrations in this '11 explorer than in any vehicle I've owned in last 20 years!!

Terry, if you have any luck at the body shop would you please let us know? That would be a great help, as my dealer and ford don't seem to know what to do! Very Frustrating! On top of the problem riddled My sync/My touch, I have more rattles/squeaks/vibrations in this '11 explorer than in any vehicle I've owned in last 20 years!!

LON
I'll do that, got to find time to go now, kinda busy @ work plus the weather turned cold again. I'd like it to warm back up before I do it as I think the fix will have to dry for awhile & I'd rather not leave it overnight.

Swetrid - My vin # is 1FMHK7F84BGA10166

Would you be able to look-up mine as well?

Thanks in advance!

I ran yours and the message shows up. Here you go

OASIS RESULT:
1FMHK7F84BGA10166
USA
EN-US
03/23/2011
18:19:45
FCXWS446
© Copyright 2002-2010 Ford Motor Company. All rights reserved.

Vehicle Information
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION
2011 EXPLORER 4DR BODY STYLE
4 DR LIMITED 4X2 ENGINE
3.5L CYCLONE TI-VCT
TRANSMISSION
6F55 6 SPD AUTO AXLE CODE
3E ENGINE CALIBRATION
BUB1ST0A
PAINT COLOR
STERLING GRAY METALLIC RADIO
ELETR AM/FM STRO/DISC/CLK GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT
6160 LB. GVW
AXLE RATIO
3.16 FINAL DRIVE RATIO WHEEL SIZE
20 X 8.5" POLISHED ALUM WHL FRONT TIRE
P255/50R-20 BSW A/SEASON
SYNC VERSION
V3 VHR ACTIVATED
Y

WARNING MESSAGES
VERIFY STATE REGISTRATION, VIN MAY BE ELIGIBLE FOR CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS WTY
ARN MESSAGES
GENERAL WARRANTY INFORMATION
WARRANTY START DATE
02/19/2011 BUILD DATE
12/15/2010 SALE MILEAGE
00346 New Vehicle Base Warranty
OUTSTANDING FIELD SERVICE ACTIONS
NO CAMPAIGN MESSAGE(S) FOUND
EXTENDED COVERAGES
NO ESP INFORMATION AVAILABLE
WARRANTY REPAIR HISTORY
NO RECENT REPAIR HISTORY ON VEHICLE
Click Here for Full Warranty History
SYMPTOM CODE INFORMATION
702100 - NVH NOISE CONCERN -- FRONT

SPECIAL SERVICE MESSAGES
21760 2011 EXPLORER NOISE FROM THE A-PILLAR MOLDINGS
SOME 2011 EXPLORER VEHICLES BUILT THROUGH 12/17/2010 MAY EXHIBIT A WIND NOISE COMING FROM THE WIND SHIELD AREA AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS. THIS MAY BE DUE TO A LOOSE A-PILLAR APPLIQUE. WINDSHIELD RESEALING/REPLACEMENT IS LIKELY NOT NECESSARY. USE TAPE TO TAPE OFF THE A-PILLAR APPLIQUE GAPS AND RETEST. IF THE NOISE IS GONE, VERIFY THAT THE APPLIQUE IS FULLY SEATED TO THE BRACKET. IF FULLY SEATED, FOLLOW NORMAL DIAGNOSTICS TO DETERMINE ROOT CAUSE AND SERVICE APPLIQUE OR ATTACHMENT BRACKET AS NECESSARY.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 03/01/2011

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETINS
11-03-26
2011 EXPLORER LOWER VALANCE COMING LOOSE
SOME 2011 EXPLORER VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE THE LOWER VALANCE POPPING OUT OF THE RETENTION CLIPS AT EITHER END. THIS MAY BE DUE TO THE VALANCE COMING INTO CONTACT WITH AN OBSTACLE SUCH AS A PARKING BLOCK, SNOW OR SAND WHILE PARKING AND THEN BEING POPPED LOOSE WHEN BACKING UP. FOLLOW SERVICE PROCEDURE TO CORRECT CONDITION.
See TSB for complete details
EFFECTIVE DATE: 03/23/2011

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

702000 - NVH OTHER NOISE CONCERNS

SPECIAL SERVICE MESSAGES
MESSAGE TEXT DISPLAYED UNDER A PRIOR CODE

11-03-26
SOME 2011 EXPLORER VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE THE LOWER VALANCE POPPING OUT OF THE RETENTION CLIPS AT EITHER END. THIS MAY BE DUE TO THE VALANCE COMING INTO CONTACT WITH AN OBSTACLE SUCH AS A PARKING BLOCK, SNOW OR SAND WHILE PARKING AND THEN BEING POPPED LOOSE WHEN BACKING UP. FOLLOW SERVICE PROCEDURE TO CORRECT CONDITION.

11-03-12
2011 EXPLORER XLT NOISE THOUGH FRONT SPEAKERS - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 2/7/2011
SOME 2011 EXPLORER XLT VEHICLES BUILT ON OR BEFORE 2/7/2011 AND EQUIPPED WITH THE PREMIUM PLUS AUDIO SYSTEM MAY EXPERIENCE A POPPING NOISE THROUGH THE FRONT SPEAKERS AT KEY ON AFTER A COLD SOAK OR STATIC FROM THE FRONT SPEAKERS WITH THE KEY ON AND RADIO OFF. FOLLOW THE SERVICE PROCEDURE STEPS TO CORRECT THE CONDITION.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 03/11/2011

701000 - NVH WINDNOISE

SPECIAL SERVICE MESSAGES
MESSAGE TEXT DISPLAYED UNDER A PRIOR CODE

11-03-26

Request Hotline Assistance | Prior Approval | Cost Cap | SuperDuty/Econ CLP | On-line 1878
END OF OASIS REPORT FOR 1FMHK7F84BGA10166

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To all with noise concerns see post above me for a pillar info.

Back