Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

Doesn't the wind rattling on the windshield gasket cause earlier than expected fatigue on the rubber? It could possibly come loose at a high rate of speed and cause a major safety concern/fatality. This should be a major recall.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PM sent. Waiting for someone to contact me.

Hate to say it, but this site is giving me buyers remorse.

Not happy here with my Explorer. Still have the extremely noisy interior and a Ford Field Service Engineer came out to my dealer and said there was no problem, hence they won't fix it. The hands-free phone is impossible to use as the person you're calling cannot hear a word your saying due to the excessive whooshing sounds from the noise.

This car has spent more time in the shop, (see at least 10 days), for a brand new auto than ANY other car I have ever owned. Oh, forgot to mention that the dealer had to replace the front left strut on delivery yet it still continues to make groaning noises when you make a right or left turn or go over a speed bump. I feel like I'm in the ship of a hold with the horrible creaking sounds it makes.

Would love to be the recipient of some sort of Customer service on your end Ford

There was another post on this forum about that noise- seems like there was some part which was not properly welded? Worth searching...

Doesn't the wind rattling on the windshield gasket cause earlier than expected fatigue on the rubber?...
charliez,
I was advised that the wind would not cause unexpected fatigue to the rubber on the windshield gasket. Not all issues result in a recall due to the fact that we have rigorous safety standards and constant testing. Are you asking this because you’re experiencing this as well? If so, I’d like to help. Please send me a PM with your VIN, dealer info, approximate mileage, and contact information if you’d like my assistance.

PM sent. Waiting for someone to contact me...
Thank you for the heads up, jrichracing. I received your PM and will send you a response back as soon as I can.

Cory

I must say that after spending a good hour reading all these updates I feel like you guys got off lucky! I love the new truck, but am not very happy with the finished product. I have a 2011 Limited, loaded and here are the issues that I have had so far (Only 15k on truck).

1# A pillar was rattling like all other posts - Had fixed, seems ok so far
2# Interior wheel well plastic panel was installed incorrectly, mounting clip poked through the middle of the unit - replaced / fixed
3# Exterior quarter panel beside gas tank was not installed correctly. Again, not clipped in and I could actually peel the panel back from the truck - reset / fixed
4# MFT - what a disaster to say the least... clock issues, screen black-outs, rear camera lines in screen sometimes work, sometimes don't, kicks my blackberry out of the memory from time to time, very slow processing speed, ... etc.
5) eternal grease on my windows... can't clean it off??!! (I think Ford needs to bottle this stuff and start applying it to squeaky door hinges...just a thought)
6) Blind spot sensor - broken on passenger side, was in for repair for 2+ weeks, got it back...still broken...
7) Hope there are no more issues.......

I guess I have to live with the fact that it's a 1st year model. My ultimate question is if ford will fix all these issues for the 2012 models??

Again, I love the truck but man o man..... I'm frustrated!

Wow, when the new EX came out and I was considering a new vehicle early this year *Feb* i only drove a base model and didn't like it. I did almost buy an Edge with sport package, but didn't. I loved my old EX but the mileage (MPG and total miles) were starting to get old. I guess i am glad I didn't get a 1st year model (did that with the re-design for 2006 and didn't have too many issues overall) but this EX is extirely different. Hope they get the issues resolved as I am a Ford person for sure and certainly recommend them to others.

My list of issues is pretty minor and as such it hasn't gone in to get fixed yet. Limited built around 3/22, has 8,000km on it.

The 1-2 light on the keyless entry pad doesn't fully light up.
The sunglasses holder does not line up on one corner.
The front skirting issue on the driver's rocker where the panel pops out.
Rear hatch not aligned.
A-pillar.
MFT is slow but works otherwise.

I think that was it!

2012 my LTD, so far the only issues carried over from 2011; are the rear hatch I had to take mine in to get it aligned

MFT, that's another story.

Hey guys,
For those experiencing issues and haven’t done so already, please PM me your VIN, contact information, mileage, and dealer information. I’ll arrange for you to be called by the Customer Service Manager in your region.

I must say that after spending a good hour reading all these updates I feel like you guys got off lucky! I love the new truck, but am not very happy with the finished product...
My list of issues is pretty minor and as such it hasn't gone in to get fixed yet...
bladerunner123 & BobbyTony,
I am really glad that you love your Explorer! I definitely don’t want to see this kill the mood for you. Please be sure to call the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center @ 1-800-565-3673 in addition to taking the vehicle in for service.

Cory

Thanks Cory, will be in touch with the Canadian head office at some point.

Question though.. Are all the new Explorers made in Detroit? If so, are you aware of any actual production changes (confirmed corporately) that the 2012's are being build with 'revised' specs to solve these very wide spread A-Pillar and Sync concerns?

Thanks for being involved in the ongoing discussions.... :thumbsup:

...Are all the new Explorers made in Detroit? If so, are you aware of any actual production changes (confirmed corporately) that the 2012's are being build with 'revised' specs to solve these very wide spread A-Pillar and Sync concerns?

Thanks for being involved in the ongoing discussions.... :thumbsup:
You’re welcome, bladerunner123. :) The new Explorers are made in the Chicago Assembly Plant. :) Service fixes that were released for the 2011 are generally automatically done on the 2012; this includes the latest version of SYNC installed.

Cory

i beg to differ..... i have a 2012 with a build date in August of this year. and i have the A pillar rattle.....

Picked up our 2012 Limited last Friday. We noticed the wind noise on our drive home from the dealership ! I did not follow the A-pillar thread and am now surprised that we have it too. :-(

Haven't decided whether there is any point taking it back to the dealership. Has a fix really been identified ?

-- Lee

Picked up our 2012 Limited last Friday. We noticed the wind noise on our drive home from the dealership ! I did not follow the A-pillar thread and am now surprised that we have it too. :-(

Haven't decided whether there is any point taking it back to the dealership. Has a fix really been identified ?

-- Lee

I had mine fixed twice. 1st one lasted two weeks. 2nd on was a month ago and the rattle is still gone.

Mine just started today the A pillar, what a bummer, I just the x back this morning from the hatch alignment completed.

Hey guys,

In case you missed my post earlier in the thread, I can help with noise concerns by sending an escalation to the Customer Service Manager in your area. For me to do this, please PM me with your contact information, mileage, VIN, and dealer information.

Cory

I too have major buyers remorse. I traded my 2009 Tahoe Hybrid for a new 2011 explorer and I've been nothing but irritated with the wind noise! My explorer is going back to the dealer for the 5th time on Monday in short the 6 weeks that I have owned it. They keep trying the same fix over and over but there is no improvement and they tell me that. Ford is aware of the problem but since it was redesigned on the 2012 model its not a priority for them to come up with a new solution my explorer has been parked in my garage for 2 weeks and I've been driving my husbands F250 because im so irritated with the explorer.

Cory, I sent you a private message a earlier this morning, I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks!

Hey guys,

In case you missed my post earlier in the thread, I can help with noise concerns by sending an escalation to the Customer Service Manager in your area. For me to do this, please PM me with your contact information, mileage, VIN, and dealer information.

Cory

What is the fix ? Trying to decide when I should bring our 2012 in and the odds that I won't be making multiple trips.

Is there a TSB yet ?

-- Lee

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is the fix ? Trying to decide when I should bring our 2012 in and the odds that I won't be making multiple trips.

Is there a TSB yet ?...
Leeman,

Yes there has been a repair released. The fix involves replacing the parts and installing them correctly. Please see the above details if you’d like additional help. :)

Cory

Back