Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

Leeman,

Yes there has been a repair released. The fix involves replacing the parts and installing them correctly. Please see the above details if you’d like additional help. :)

Cory

Cory - I was surprised some 2012 owners have this issue. Didn't the TSB come out during 2011 MY, and if so have they updated the TSB?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cory - I was surprised some 2012 owners have this issue. Didn't the TSB come out during 2011 MY, and if so have they updated the TSB?

Speaking as someone with product design experience, I think the problem is lack of "design for manufacturability". Or, in plain English, Ford engineers designed a A pillar that's too doggone difficult to attach to the car just right.

If an assembly line worker is having a bad day, or had one too many last night, they may not precisely follow the intricate 7-step process to attach the A pillar. Shame on them for sloppy work. But mostly shame on the designer for designing a part that is so difficult to install and so temperamental when it's installed incorrectly.

I continue to believe that the only permanent fix for this A pillar problem will be a design change. I predict the demise of the plastic A pillar in MY2013 or MY2014.

...Or, in plain English, Ford engineers designed a A pillar that's too doggone difficult to attach to the car just right...
calb,

The A-Pillar rattle really should not happen often with a 2012MY. The factory has been made aware so they are careful when installing them, like sangiovese said. :)

Cory

calb,

The A-Pillar rattle really should not happen often with a 2012MY. The factory has been made aware so they are careful when installing them, like sangiovese said. :)

Cory

Then its unfortunate that my Aug 31st build 2012 has it then. :-(

-- Lee

2011 A-Pillar Rattle

I have a 2011 Explorer XLT with the A-Pillar rattle. I have had my truck into the shop twice since purchase but the dealer never seems to hear the rattle when they drive the truck. I just had it in for three days last week, picked it up on Saturday after they said they fixed the truck.

Lo and behold while driving into work this morning the bee returned. To say that I am highly upset would be an understatement.

Reading all the posts here I now know what I am going to have to do. I will just drive her back to the shop today and tell them they need to replace the trim and give me a loaner until it is replaced.

I did not spend nearly $39k for a truck to rattle all the time. My truck was built March 2011, I purchased in April. It is obvious that the issue has not been resolved on the assembly line.

I do have a question regarding a earlier comment someone posted about a burning smell in their Explorer. When I get on the gas, running RPM's up to the 5,000 range to pass another vehicle, I get a wet dog type smell briefly with the vehicle. The service department said it is carbon burning off in the engine but I do not buy that. Especially since they cannot figure out what the rattle, that seems to be well documented, is caused by.

Can anybody give info as to the burning smell with high RPM's?

Thanks!

Speaking as someone with product design experience, I think the problem is lack of "design for manufacturability". Or, in plain English, Ford engineers designed a A pillar that's too doggone difficult to attach to the car just right.

If an assembly line worker is having a bad day, or had one too many last night, they may not precisely follow the intricate 7-step process to attach the A pillar. Shame on them for sloppy work. But mostly shame on the designer for designing a part that is so difficult to install and so temperamental when it's installed incorrectly.

I continue to believe that the only permanent fix for this A pillar problem will be a design change. I predict the demise of the plastic A pillar in MY2013 or MY2014.

Even if properly installed, the external applique seems to work itself loose over time. I'm convinced that the issue WILL NEVER BE FIXED until the A-Pillar is completely redesigned. I've had mine repaired twice by different dealers, and yet I still have the issue. Bad job Ford.

To say that I am highly upset would be an understatement.

Reading all the posts here I now know what I am going to have to do. I will just drive her back to the shop today and tell them they need to replace the trim and give me a loaner until it is replaced.
Thanks!

I wonder if anyone has anyone simply laid down a bead of black silicone between the plastic applique and the windshield gasket to stop the airflow. If tape will stop it (I know it will), I would think this would. Any thoughts on why this is a bad idea. I mean...if Ford can't fix it, we ought to be able to find a long term patch. Just thinking...

Then its unfortunate that my Aug 31st build 2012 has it then...
I recommend visiting your dealer to have them take care of the noise. I’m here to ensure you’re satisfied with your new Explorer, so let me know how your visit goes.

I have a 2011 Explorer XLT with the A-Pillar rattle. I have had my truck into the shop twice since purchase but the dealer never seems to hear the rattle when they drive the truck...When I get on the gas, running RPM's up to the 5,000 range to pass another vehicle, I get a wet dog type smell briefly with the vehicle...
Menwa,

Have you driven the vehicle with your Service Advisor to replicate the noise and smell? If not, I recommend that for your next visit.

I can also help by escalating your concern to the Customer Service Manager in your region. For me to do this, please PM me your VIN, contact information, approximate mileage, and dealer info.

Cory

My explorer is in for wind noise too, and so far the dealer thinks Im crazy. Its very frustrating. It is also in for a module replacement after the nav screen went dark...they got the part today so hopefully once they replace that they can figure out this wind noise...so annoying.

...Cory, I sent you a private message a earlier this morning, I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks!
KF2011,

I want to make sure you’re happy with your purchase. I received your message and I’ll be sending you a reply as soon as I can.

My explorer is in for wind noise too, and so far the dealer thinks Im crazy...
katiems,

I can lend a hand with getting the noise on your Explorer resolved. I already have your VIN, so please PM me with your approximate mileage, dealer name/state, and contact information and I’ll send an escalation to the Customer Service Manager in your region.

Cory

Picked it back up yesterday

Cory,

I picked up the explorer yesterday and received your private message as well. I am going to give it a couple days before we escalate the case. I did not hear any noise this morning on my way to work. Granted the dealership filled in all the gaps in the weather stripping with black silicone (and is not the prettiest thing - but seems to have closed all the holes). I think it may just do the trick. I guess they reached their breaking point with replacing the same parts over and over again! Hopefully this will be the fix, if not I will be in touch with you again! thanks!

Cory,

I picked up the explorer yesterday and received your private message as well. I am going to give it a couple days before we escalate the case. I did not hear any noise this morning on my way to work. Granted the dealership filled in all the gaps in the weather stripping with black silicone (and is not the prettiest thing - but seems to have closed all the holes). I think it may just do the trick. I guess they reached their breaking point with replacing the same parts over and over again! Hopefully this will be the fix, if not I will be in touch with you again! thanks!

This a "fix" that I've pondered as well. My guess is that Ford will not spend the money to engineer a retro-fix for the A-Pillar, opting instead to fix it later when the A-Pillar is redesigned. I'm betting that black silicone becomes the standard method to address this widesread problem.

Let us know how it goes...

I picked up the explorer yesterday and received your private message as well. I am going to give it a couple days before we escalate the case. I did not hear any noise this morning on my way to work...
That’s great to hear. I’m here to make sure you’re happy, so don’t hesitate to drop me a line any time. :)

Cory

I can't believe this. Today driving about 60mph into a strong crosswind{40mph) the right a pillar trim ripped off.The left one has been loose for quite a while and is cracked.
This vehicle has been to dealers multiple times and also had the windshield replaced by them. Also had the gas door fall off after opening it to refuel.C'mon Ford cut out all the plastic crap. Other problems to attend to, the inside mirror shakes when going over bumps and the drivers back of the seat has loud creaks in the springs. Also the radio turns itself on when exiting the vehicle, off to the dealer again.
Other problems fixed were windshield replaced,a pillar rattle fixed,rear seat assembly recalled and replaced. New 2.11 update installed. Navigation still sucks.
I have had this car into the shop more than my last 5 vehicles combined!
I think when I get back to Florida this car is history if I can get any kind of decent tradein for it .I will go back to an Expedition like my last 3 were.
Ford did not have a great idea with this car. Especially mine which is one of the first models built. Never again I will buy a new model in the first year.

I can't believe this. Today driving about 60mph into a strong crosswind{40mph) the right a pillar trim ripped off.The left one has been loose for quite a while and is cracked.
This vehicle has been to dealers multiple times and also had the windshield replaced by them. Also had the gas door fall off after opening it to refuel.C'mon Ford cut out all the plastic crap. Other problems to attend to, the inside mirror shakes when going over bumps and the drivers back of the seat has loud creaks in the springs. Also the radio turns itself on when exiting the vehicle, off to the dealer again.
Other problems fixed were windshield replaced,a pillar rattle fixed,rear seat assembly recalled and replaced. New 2.11 update installed. Navigation still sucks.
I have had this car into the shop more than my last 5 vehicles combined!
I think when I get back to Florida this car is history if I can get any kind of decent tradein for it .I will go back to an Expedition like my last 3 were.
Ford did not have a great idea with this car. Especially mine which is one of the first models built. Never again I will buy a new model in the first year.
Have you read the post by yourstone on page 1 of this thread? There is also a post by E'TOWN on 08-16-2011 that explains this problem. His job is replacing windshields.

I can't believe this. Today driving about 60mph into a strong crosswind{40mph) the right a pillar trim ripped off...
snowbird,

I want to see the issues you’ve experienced resolved once and for all. Please send a PM with your VIN, contact information, dealer name/state, and approximate mileage. With those details, I can send an escalation to the Customer Service Manager in your area.

Cory

My truck was built in mid July (don't have exact day, I'm at my cottage). Coming up yesterday (very windy) thought the noise was from my wipers as they were 'hovering', but then concluded it was from the right 'A' pillar TOO! :rolleyes:

I'm more than ticked, at having another problem with only 2000 km. Hate taking any car into a dealer!

I also have an interior rattle/squeek somewere, plus one wheel has a paint chip scratch from mounting most likely, another has a bubble in the paint will probably break in the long run. Rear door is misaligned.

Another thing is the overlay on the front doors, the black plastic where the keyless entry numbers are. I don't like finger prints on the doors. or glass of any car, so I always close the door with my hand palm contacting the door edge, and pushing closed...no finger prints BUT boy is that edge sharp what's up with that? To me that's a quality issue in it self.

My 2012 Explorer definitely has the A-Pillar rattle

calb,

Cory
My 2012 definitely has the A-Pillar rattle at speed (something like 65+). It was built Aug 1. Guess I will have to take it it. Other than MFT being a little wonky (no big issues, but obviously not quite there yet with 2.11), it's been defect-free. Will have to get the A-Pillar thing fixed, pretty annoying on the highway

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I concluded I have the a pillar rattle, 3 consecutive trips, with good crosswinds in the freeway really inhale the rattle. I placed my wife's iPhone next to the a pillar in side so it could record the plastic vibrating on the rubber gasket, it's very clear, but you can tell it's lifting off the rubber gasket. I pushed the plastic cover down after pushing the gasket together, ( right side looks like it's coming apart), left side looks pretty good.

Back