Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

2011 ltd early april build, have 10,000 klm heard the noise for the first time this week while on the highway, thought someone was farting , and i was alone . At least i know what the issue is . Will take mine in next week. Also noticed for the first time a loud tinny sound from the back hatch when going over a bump or rough pavement.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2011 ltd early april build, have 10,000 klm heard the noise for the first time this week while on the highway, thought someone was farting , and i was alone . At least i know what the issue is . Will take mine in next week. Also noticed for the first time a loud tinny sound from the back hatch when going over a bump or rough pavement.
I suspect your license plate is secured with two screws. Add two to the bottom and your plate won't rattle. Need self threading screws that go in Nylon inserts.

Guys if you are fed up with the noise and don't want to deal with it and the dealer use some RTV high temp gasket seal. It worked on mine. Its not worth the battle, fix it and move on.

Janskim- Not to sound dumb, but where exactly did you apply the sealant? I tried it and it didn't solve my rattle or the loud wind whistle. Did you also have the whistle? I'm just wondering if I have to apply the sealant in multiple places to stop both issues. Thanks in advance.

theres a TSB on the A pillar now....read through this thread and you'll see.....take it back to the dealer and have them make the repairs. i think they replace the gasket or something

This is not true. At least for the 2012. I took mine in and NO TSB addressed this issue when they searched for it. I have had to work through Cory and I am taking it back in to try and fix it again.

What worries me now is whatever they did "fix" I believe has caused a new whistling sound... :thumbdwn:

Guys if you are fed up with the noise and don't want to deal with it and the dealer use some RTV high temp gasket seal. It worked on mine. Its not worth the battle, fix it and move on.

Can someone post pics of where to put this, in case my dealer can never fix it.

Hey guys,

Just as a reminder to those who are experiencing this, I’m here to help by sending the info to the Customer Service Manager in your region. If you haven’t done so, please send a PM with your dealer name/state, VIN, mileage, and contact information.

...I have had to work through Cory and I am taking it back in to try and fix it again...
Woolaroc,

I see that you spoke with Austin yesterday. Let me know via PM if you’d like a call before your next follow up call.

Cory

I had issues with just the passenger side, confirmed by taping one side at a time to see if it went away. Ran a small bead underneath the rubber strip the entire length though I think its towards the bottom thats the issue. Let it lay back down and gentle press ( wipe any excess off) and taped the piece down with masking tape and let it sit over nite. In essence what are you are doing is adhering the rubber strip to the windshield and preventing it from lifting allowing air behind it. If you do it right you can't see any of the sealant as its confined underneath and the rubber will feel less flimsy. As I said it fixed my issue with the rattling. Experiment with the tape first to narrow your problem down before you go wild with the RTV.

Janskim, so u r saying it's the gasket to windshield seal, and not the plastic cover to rubber co tact area?

Brought my 2011 limited in for 2nd time regarding the A-pillar rattle today. I brought it in during July and it didn't fix the issue. It started rattling immediately again on my drive home from the dealer. I figured i would wait to bring it back.....hoping that a permanent solution would be identified in the interim. wish me luck. (I had to bring it in today with some other problems today anyways......navigation fault, seek button on steering wheel not working with Sirius channels, etc.)

The plastic A-pillars have a rubber strip that lays on top of the windhsield. If you take a look starting from the top down the top seems to be tight as it gets to the bottom the seal gets sloppy I think and allows air to get behind the A-pillar and start the fart sound as many have refferred to on here. In the 20 pages of this thread the topic is covered pretty extensively. Tape the rubber strip down and test drive to see if that solves your problem before proceeding with any attempt at a fix because it maybe something else.

Brought my 2011 limited in for 2nd time regarding the A-pillar rattle today. I brought it in during July and it didn't fix the issue...
I want to help you get these issues resolved, Fab. I can lend a hand by arranging a call from the Customer Service Manager in your area. You’d only have to send a PM with your VIN, contact information, dealer name/state, and approximate mileage.

Cory

dunno what happened to my previous post, but i'll try again.....

cory, what benefits does speaking with the customer service manager yield when dealing with this issue? i haven't taken my vehicle in yet but if it will speed the process/repairs up, then i too want a call from the area manager......

...cory, what benefits does speaking with the customer service manager yield when dealing with this issue? i haven't taken my vehicle in yet but if it will speed the process/repairs up, then i too want a call from the area manager......
bluelion,

Among other benefits, the Customer Service Manager in your region can call ahead before your appointment and will help by coordinating with the dealer throughout the diagnosis. I’ll arrange for you to be called when you drop me a line via PM with your VIN, contact info, mileage, and dealer name/state.

Cory

Cory - No disrespect intended, but you should know by now that the Ford dealer repair does not fix the problem. It will come back. The problem is a poor design, and the issue cannot and will not be fully eliminated until the parts are redesigned.

For me, Janskim's sealant repair worked - end of problem.

I had issues with just the passenger side, confirmed by taping one side at a time to see if it went away. Ran a small bead underneath the rubber strip the entire length though I think its towards the bottom thats the issue. Let it lay back down and gentle press ( wipe any excess off) and taped the piece down with masking tape and let it sit over nite. In essence what are you are doing is adhering the rubber strip to the windshield and preventing it from lifting allowing air behind it. If you do it right you can't see any of the sealant as its confined underneath and the rubber will feel less flimsy. As I said it fixed my issue with the rattling. Experiment with the tape first to narrow your problem down before you go wild with the RTV.

If you glue the strip to the glass, what happens if you need to get your windshield replaced?

I don't think that would be a problem, as I believe both the windshield (of course) and gasket would get replaced.

When had our windshield replaced, both parts were replaced.

I don't think that would be a problem, as I believe both the windshield (of course) and gasket would get replaced.

When had our windshield replaced, both parts were replaced.

Isn't the gasket attached to the a pillar cover? To replace the windshield, does the a-pillar cover get removed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No! Not me!

I have now fall victim to the aforementioned rattle (flutter, whatever). Mine is a 2012 Explorer LTD.

As mentioned in earlier posts, the sound, emanating from the right A pillar area presents itself in headwinds or strong crosswinds at speeds at and beyond 67 mph, or so.

I've now accumulated 1950 miles of driving since taking delivery on 09/10/12, and I am among those who also experience frustrations with MFT; Freezing screens, lousy navigation (my six-year old Street Pilot 2820 is far more usable) and it often fails to recognize my iPod (even though the iPod shows the Ford logo on the iPod screen).

I had plans to publish a complete appraisal of my experience with my first American car since 1972 (Hondas, Acuras, Toyota's and BMW's otherwise) but I'm holding off long enough to have my local Ford dealer try and make good on my concerns.

Having said that, I was a little disappointed with the CU news. I've never considered CU a benchmark for evaluating automobile performance, but the magazine does have the broadest base from which to draw Explorer owners evaluations and opinions, and those owners opinions are what CU is reporting on.

Back