Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 48 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

Cory,
I have a brand new 2013 and have the same wind noise problem...
kbuttrey,

I’m able to help by arranging a call from the Customer Service Manager in your region. So I can do that, please send me a PM with your contact information, approximate mileage, dealer name/state, and VIN.

Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have had my 2012 Explorer for 6 months...been in the shop about 5 or six times for wind / whistling noise to no avail. Now they tell me that an Engineer from Ford drove my explorer and told them that it was wind turbulance noise and is just part of the Explorer and cannot be fixed. VERY DISAPPOINTED. I thought Ford would take more "pride" in their product and have a way to remedy this problem....now need to decide if I'm going to live with a noise in a $30,000.00 vehicle or trade it in.

I have had my 2012 Explorer for 6 months...been in the shop about 5 or six times for wind / whistling noise to no avail. Now they tell me that an Engineer from Ford drove my explorer and told them that it was wind turbulance noise and is just part of the Explorer and cannot be fixed. VERY DISAPPOINTED. I thought Ford would take more "pride" in their product and have a way to remedy this problem....now need to decide if I'm going to live with a noise in a $30,000.00 vehicle or trade it in.

Thats the last thing they told me also.... wind turbulance. Yet I can tape the doors and the wind noise is significantly reduced. Sounds like its coming from the B-Pillar area

I have had my 2012 Explorer for 6 months...been in the shop about 5 or six times for wind / whistling noise to no avail. Now they tell me that an Engineer from Ford drove my explorer and told them that it was wind turbulence noise and is just part of the Explorer and cannot be fixed. VERY DISAPPOINTED. I thought Ford would take more "pride" in their product and have a way to remedy this problem....now need to decide if I'm going to live with a noise in a $30,000.00 vehicle or trade it in.
Welcome to the Forum Rredus.:wavey:
I'm sorry to hear about your problem. So what the engineer is saying is that Ford has built 'wind turbulence' into the Explorer. I guess that is why they have wind tunnels so that they can get the turbulence just right.:D
If that is the case, perhaps I should complain to Ford that I am missing that feature.
I would not accept that rationalization if that is what an "engineer" told me. Do they really want us to believe that a manufacturer would go through all the trouble and expense of developing a new model and then build in this problem?
Believe me, it is NOT normal.

Peter

Thats the last thing they told me also.... wind turbulance. Yet I can tape the doors and the wind noise is significantly reduced. Sounds like its coming from the B-Pillar area
My first thought would be the 'A' pillars. Others that have had them replaced still had noise and had them redone. Have you tried taping the areas around the 'A' pillars, and or 'B' pillars to see if it made a difference? Just a thought.

Peter

Dead Issue: A Pillar Rattle????

Is the A Pillar Rattle a dead issue now?

I have a 2011 Ford Explorer and in all reality, I really love it. However, my dealer has been waiting for parts to fix my A Pillar Rattle since January. I know that there is a TSB to fix the problem. My dealer says that they have had the parts on order but all new parts are being used for current 2013 production and they can't get them even though they have them on order.

I am starting to doubt what my dealer is telling me.

Anyone else have this problem??? Please let me know if you are experiencing this particular parts issue.

Took my dealer about a week and a half to get them. This was in February/March time frame. Ping Cory and have him check into it for you.

The A-Pillar noise for me is completely gone. They seem to have finally fixed it. Bravo to Ford.

Your dealer is b/sing u i got mines done in one week no issue after replacement!!!

My dealer ordered the parts for my 2011 last week. They came in today.

I waited 4 weeks for parts to arrive. After install...still have same noise. Really humms on freeway especially on windy day.

Remember there were actually two fixes with the last one being the better of the two.

Make sure your dealer didn't do the first fix only.

Parts take a week or two max, if anyone's dealer is telling you different they are unethical and lying to you.

I had mine replaced the same day my 2012 was brought in which was a few days after making an appointment. This was in addition to the cooling fan reprogram.

Had mine fixed 2 weeks ago.Was on the highway yesterday and it was making the same fluttering noise x3 much louder than before. I stopped for gas and bought a roll of black electrical tape.Placed it up and down the A pillar casket moulding and all quiet. Will take the car back latter this week.

Sgt1411, what was done different in the second fix?

...I have a 2011 Ford Explorer and in all reality, I really love it. However, my dealer has been waiting for parts to fix my A Pillar Rattle since January...
Welcome to the boards, tengator! I can help by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager in your region. For me to lend a hand, please send a PM with your VIN, contact information, dealer name/state, and mileage.

Took my dealer about a week and a half to get them. This was in February/March time frame. Ping Cory and have him check into it for you.
Thanks a bunch for the recommendation, cnsheets. :)

The A-Pillar noise for me is completely gone. They seem to have finally fixed it. Bravo to Ford.
...i got mines done in one week no issue after replacement!!!
I had mine replaced the same day my 2012 was brought in which was a few days after making an appointment. This was in addition to the cooling fan reprogram.
1995E, NEWPORTNJ, & scotted73,

That’s great to see this was resolved!

My dealer ordered the parts for my 2011 last week. They came in today.
willwitten,

I’m confident the dealer will take care of you. Please keep us in the loop.

I waited 4 weeks for parts to arrive. After install...still have same noise. Really humms on freeway especially on windy day.
I made sure Mark is scheduled to follow-up with you, gpzrider.

Remember there were actually two fixes with the last one being the better of the two...
Thanks for taking the time to help, Sgt1411. :thumbsup:

Had mine fixed 2 weeks ago.Was on the highway yesterday and it was making the same fluttering noise x3 much louder than before...
shoeman,

I have your VIN from previous messages, so drop a line via PM and I’ll arrange for you to be called.

Cory

Remember there were actually two fixes with the last one being the better of the two.

Make sure your dealer didn't do the first fix only.

Parts take a week or two max, if anyone's dealer is telling you different they are unethical and lying to you.

That isnt true. My a pillars were on national backorder for 5 weeks. Ford CS was keeping me up to date and called me about 4 weeks after they were ordered and told me the date they were shipping and date of delivery to the dealer. Low and behold I got a call from my dealership saying they were in.

Since January, yes, BS.. but two max, not necessarily.

My first set took a week to get, contacted Cory and was given the ford number and got a ticket #. I requested the clips holding the a pillars also be replaced at the same time. They didn't believe me and replaced them without the clips, the next day the new right side a pillar flew off and landed in front of the truck behind us who ran over and destroyed the new a pillar. Funny how fast the second set and new clips came in with the help of ford and a rental car sitting in the driveway. The new set seem to be noise free for now.

...Ford CS was keeping me up to date and called me about 4 weeks after they were ordered and told me the date they were shipping and date of delivery to the dealer. Low and behold I got a call from my dealership saying they were in...
Thanks for sharing, blwnsmoke! :)

...The new set seem to be noise free for now.
jeff59rt1,

I’m glad to “hear” you’re noise free. :D

Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry but I get my info directly from the Engineers working on the Explorer program.

Thats where I found out there was a 2nd fix and it was not only air intrusion but a vacuum being created inside the A-Pillar

I stick to my original statement, TSB #2 A-Pillar repair program parts were two weeks max.

Cant explain why some had a longer delay.

Back