Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 51 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

Does anyone know if any parts are available for this fix? I've had my wife's 12 EX in for the passenger side buzzing and after the parts came in they replaced them and 2 days later the drivers side A-pillar moulding flies off and when asked why the drivers side flew off I was told they fixed both sides but figured it would fly off because all the clips were broken. That's been six weeks ago and was told it would be mid sept. before the parts were available.I have since found the moulding that flew off and siliconed it back on because my wife was tired of riding around in a $37,000 vehicle that looked a piece of xxxx with the missing trim. So has anyone else been told this line of bull about parts. This is so unacceptable for a new vehicle. Oh and I also have the burnt smell under hard acelleration which they told me Ford is working on a fix.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone know if any parts are available for this fix? I've had my wife's 12 EX in for the passenger side buzzing and after the parts came in they replaced them and 2 days later the drivers side A-pillar moulding flies off and when asked why the drivers side flew off I was told they fixed both sides but figured it would fly off because all the clips were broken. That's been six weeks ago and was told it would be mid sept. before the parts were available.I have since found the moulding that flew off and siliconed it back on because my wife was tired of riding around in a $37,000 vehicle that looked a piece of xxxx with the missing trim. So has anyone else been told this line of bull about parts. This is so unacceptable for a new vehicle. Oh and I also have the burnt smell under hard acelleration which they told me Ford is working on a fix.
I copied this from the TSB for the 'A' Pillar problem;
Remove and discard A-pillar appliques, refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 501-08. Check old applique for any clips that may have come out of the bracket and if necessary remove and reattach to bracket as necessary. Refer to WSM, Section 501-08.
Although it doesn't specifically say to replace broken clips, I don't know how you can reattach them if they're broken. With the number of instances of broken clips found when working on this problem, the TSB should specifically state to replace them and Ford should begin shipping them as part of the fix so everything can be taken care of in one dealer visit.

Peter

Totally sucks that your A-pillar piece flew off. Congratulations on actually finding it afterward and being able to stick it back on.

Looks like you have a dealer issue. My South Louisiana dealer took care of the "A" pillar issue I had right away and it has been good for a year now.I never experienced the "smell" yet.
You might try another dealer or contacting Cory.Cory will work to get it resolved.

Looks like you have a dealer issue. My South Louisiana dealer took care of the "A" pillar issue I had right away and it has been good for a year now.I never experienced the "smell" yet.
You might try another dealer or contacting Cory.Cory will work to get it resolved.
A dealer issue is what I initially though as well until I re-read the post. From what I gather now is that although the dealer acknowledged that numerous clips were broken, he didn't have the required parts to fix that and they had to be ordered.
As I wrote in my edited post, Ford should start shipping these clips as part of the TSB fix.

Peter

Hi, I have the same problem at around 65 MPH the right side of windshield very loud wind noise, There is a piece of thin rubber covering both sides of front windshield, maybe some black RTV along both sides so that thin rubber doesn't not lift.

Hi, I have the same problem at around 65 MPH the right side of windshield very loud wind noise, There is a piece of thin rubber covering both sides of front windshield, maybe some black RTV along both sides so that thin rubber doesn't not lift.
Welcome to the Forum floridaob.:wavey:
According to your profile, I see that you have an Expolere. ;)
I haven't had the problem so far but what you are experiencing could be the infamous 'A' pillar rattle. There is a TSB for that problem but parts have to be ordered and several members have had to go back a few times to get it fixed.
Good luck and happy motoring.

Peter

I have a high speed buzz coming from the windshield area which is really annoying...
...I've had my wife's 12 EX in for the passenger side buzzing...
NYstevo & rodolan,

I apologize for missing the updates, guys. I want to offer my help by escalating the concerns to your regional Customer Service Manager. Please PM me with your contact information, mileage, dealer name/state, and VIN.

...I would take it home and it would do the same thing. I asked to trade it for another new Explorer, but since I had put miles on mine (and it takes them so long to even get it in), they would not consider it...
It’s a shame you weren’t able to see this resolved, Scott. I’m sorry to lose a loyal Ford fan. Please don’t hesitate to PM me in the future, so I can help restore your faith in Ford.

...I have absolutely no problem recommending my Explorer to anyone. Dealer service has so far been A1...
Thanks for helping and sharing your recommendations, Peter. :thumbsup:

I'm just about at the same point...
Plum,

I sent you a reply via PM; please see your inbox for the details.

...My South Louisiana dealer took care of the "A" pillar issue I had right away and it has been good for a year now.I never experienced the "smell" yet.
I really appreciate the shout-out, CajunFordEx. :)

Cory

If the a pillar fix did not cure the buzzing the culprit is the windshield cowl. Mine just got replaced after a pillar fix failed. I'll post service invoice tomorrow.

Hey:

I got mine fixed around January 2012 at Campbell Ford in Ottawa. When the mechanic removed the trim he had concerns that the clips would break and he was right. So the dealer had to order new ones, which meant that my Explorer was at the dealer for an extra day. No biggy. Anyway, with the new clips and A pillar molding installed I haven't heard any buzzing what so ever. I've had it up to 160 km/h (100 mph) and still no noise, other than regular wind noise.

I suspect that some mechanics maybe better at removing the trim than others. As such the clips don't break but I suspect they have been weakened to the point that they don't hold the molding as they were designed to. As most of you know, the TSB says to re-use the clips. Ford cheeped out on this one. If you had the fix but it didn't work, I would suggest asking the dealer to also install new clips, I bet that would fix the problem. Good luck.

Hey:

I got mine fixed around January 2012 at Campbell Ford in Ottawa. When the mechanic removed the trim he had concerns that the clips would break and he was right. So the dealer had to order new ones, which meant that my Explorer was at the dealer for an extra day. No biggy. Anyway, with the new clips and A pillar molding installed I haven't heard any buzzing what so ever. I've had it up to 160 km/h (100 mph) and still no noise, other than regular wind noise.

I suspect that some mechanics maybe better at removing the trim than others. As such the clips don't break but I suspect they have been weakened to the point that they don't hold the molding as they were designed to. As most of you know, the TSB says to re-use the clips. Ford cheeped out on this one. If you had the fix but it didn't work, I would suggest asking the dealer to also install new clips, I bet that would fix the problem. Good luck.
Hi Danny, I haven't had the problem but have seen several posts about the moulding coming off because of broken clips. That is why I feel that new clips should be automatically be shipped with the 'A' pillar mouldings.
I visited Campbell back in Dec. 2010 but they didn't have any of the new Explorers yet. Ended up ordering mine from Dupuis in Casselman. They are also a little closer to home.

Peter

Cory / Ford Cust Service - Sent you a PM, yes unfortunately I have the same issue the moment we drive above 50MPH the noise is very annoying and we have an infant and can not play music all the time...please help if you can we were very happy to get a Ford Explorer but this is driving us nuts, I have an appointment at Maroone Ford 16800 N.W. 57th Avenue, Miami, FL 33015, Friday morning...Juan Mesa is my service agent....please help if you can. thanks. Thomas

My guys at south bay ford think they found the culprit. Apparently they taped down the long plastic piece that runs below the front windshield and the noise went away. Replaced it, now for road test tomorrow.

What was the verdict? Do you still have the noise, I'm taking my car in this week and curious on any solutions to this issue...thx Thomas:exp:

What was the verdict? Do you still have the noise, I'm taking my car in this week and curious on any solutions to this issue...thx Thomas:exp:

It's fixed. Replacing the windshield cowl did the trick. The first a pillar repair did not work. It still sounded exactly the same. After that cowl was replaced that buzzing sound disappeared. Try testing it by taping down the long plastic cowl that runs below the windshield use painters tape. Go for freeway test drive and see what happens.

It's fixed. Replacing the windshield cowl did the trick. The first a pillar repair did not work. It still sounded exactly the same. After that cowl was replaced that buzzing sound disappeared. Try testing it by taping down the long plastic cowl that runs below the windshield use painters tape. Go for freeway test drive and see what happens.

Thats great. I'm very happy for you. I hope it fixes it on mine. Last question the buzzing sound seems to be coming from the sides of the windshield like the side pillars not the mid section. Was that the symptom you were also experiencing?

Cory / Ford Cust Service - Sent you a PM...
I appreciate the heads up, Thomas. My inboxes are a little on the full side, so you’ll see my reply in the next two days.

It's fixed. Replacing the windshield cowl did the trick...
This is awesome news, gpzrider; thanks for the update. :)

Cory

Thats great. I'm very happy for you. I hope it fixes it on mine. Last question the buzzing sound seems to be coming from the sides of the windshield like the side pillars not the mid section. Was that the symptom you were also experiencing?

Yes sounded exactly like the original A pillar rattle. It even sounded like it was only coming from the right side. No more angry bumblebees in my car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thinking I am close to the record on number of times i've had A-Pillar replaced or addressed. After getting it addressed for the 8th time (this time gasket, no pillars) no buzzing but a constant droning at highway speeds.

Thankfully, the Dealer hears the sounds everytime and is beyond responsive and Ford CS has been wonderful, but this problem refuses to go away. Frustrating after getting the car back and driving 700 miles on a family vacation and hearing it for hours on end.

I'm starting to get at my wits end and may ask for entirely new windshield and all new trim pieces/mouldings. Ive still got a year and a half left on my lease not sure about what recourse i have.

such a shame because this is such a marvelous car.

Back