Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 53 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

The old TSB didn't always fix the issue. The new TSB was performed on our vehicle two weeks ago and has worked great so far.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Is anyone familiar with the new TSB? Is my dealer correct. (They have a good service department). I am curious how it is different. Cory, are you familiar with this? Love my Explorer, by the way.
PJFW8,

I haven’t been on the repair side of the customer service coin, so I’m not trained to distinguish the difference between the two. I trust your dealer is correct and will take care of this for you. :thumbsup:

I would think that they would be correct...
Thanks a bunch, Peter. It’s really great to see the community helping out. :)

...The new TSB was performed on our vehicle two weeks ago and has worked great so far.
TxRanger351w,

I appreciate the update; I’m happy you’re “noise-free”! :D

Cory

PJFW8,

I haven’t been on the repair side of the customer service coin, so I’m not trained to distinguish the difference between the two. I trust your dealer is correct and will take care of this for you. :thumbsup:

Thanks a bunch, Peter. It’s really great to see the community helping out. :)

TxRanger351w,

I appreciate the update; I’m happy you’re “noise-free”! :D

Cory

Thanks to all. I'll report after the tsb is performed and I've had a chance to get out on the interstate on a windy day (that is when I had the noise). I really appreciate this forum and Ford's participation.

has anyone had a rattle from the d pillars? In the last two weeks, my 2013 has started rattling from the rear- I have pressed all the plastic back there and none is loose but sure enough when I am driving I can hear it. it sounds a lot like there is plastic rattling on plastic.

has anyone had a rattle from the d pillars? In the last two weeks, my 2013 has started rattling from the rear- I have pressed all the plastic back there and none is loose but sure enough when I am driving I can hear it. it sounds a lot like there is plastic rattling on plastic.

I had a rattle coming from the D pillar which the dealer has since fixed. My Ford mechanic easily located the probelm when he rode in the back on a quick drive.

Thanks to all. I'll report after the tsb is performed and I've had a chance to get out on the interstate on a windy day (that is when I had the noise). I really appreciate this forum and Ford's participation.
You got it, PJFW8. :thumbsup:

I had a rattle coming from the D pillar which the dealer has since fixed. My Ford mechanic easily located the probelm when he rode in the back on a quick drive.
nitzer51,

Like xplanfan mentioned (I’m glad they took care of the rattle, xplanfan), I recommend a visit to your local dealer and they’ll track down the noise. I also have your info from before, so shoot me a PM with your current mileage and I can lend a hand.

Cory

Hey Cory. Sent you a PM. I've got the windshield noise and some brake squeel at 24k miles on my 2011 Explorer Limited. Interested in how to get this TSB service obtained at the local dealer as its driving us nuts. Also am having a hard time getting the dealer to help us get our Sync update installed (we received no USB and its not available for download)

A pillar coming off and buzzing noise

We were excited to purchase our 2011 Explorer XLT. Were, not only did the sync crash but about 2 months ago we started hearing the buzzing noise on the right side of the windshield. Thought maybe it was b/c I change the wiperblades. Noise increased, went bowling 2 weekends ago, running late doing 70 mph made it to bowling alley. Come out to see white fabric hanging from A pillar. Thought it was a flyer advertisement until I walked up on it and saw the plastic was loose. Put tape on and called Joe Meyers Ford on HWY 290. They said they might need to take pictures to get direction from Ford on how to fix. Rushed over there on a Friday afternoon in traffic to be told no, its just the clips come back in the morning for a fix. Come back in a morning to be told your out of the 36k warranty, extended warranty you purchase through Ford doesn't cover it,your looking at $300 plus to fix. Waiting on a decision from someone as to whether or not they will "work" with me to fix a plastic piece. We were planning on trading it in at the end of the year to get a color we prefer since I was so anxious to purchase in 2011 and the only color available was black then. After purchasing this and the Ford Edge the week before, I'm really questioning whether or not to jump ship from Ford due to the way this dealer as treated my wife when bringing the explorer for issues and secretcy when we traded in 2 vehicles for a purchase. Just want the noise to be fixed and not have to drive a pratically new vehicle with tape on it.:mad:

Good luck on getting this fixed. I had a 2013 and they performed the TSB and even more and after 4 trips to the dealer and several weeks with a rental car they were not able to resolve. I finally traded my explorer after 3 months of trying to get the wind noise fixed and the sync crashing multiple times. Hope you have better luck than I did. It was not an issue with the dealer trying to fix....they tried but how long do you try on a new 40K car. 3 months was my limit.

Just picked up my 2013 XLT on Saturday...It has the flutter/vibration at 65-70 mph and up...
...Just want the noise to be fixed and not have to drive a pratically new vehicle with tape on it.:mad:
azcoyote & jclada,

I’m available to help with your concerns by escalating to your regional Customer Service Managers. Please PM me with your contact information (including VIN, dealer name/state, and approximate mileage).

Just wanted to report that so far the noise has not returned. The latest TSB seems to take care of the issue.
Thanks for posting an update, TxRanger351w. :)

Hey Cory. Sent you a PM...
Hammer45,

I appreciate the heads up. I’ll shoot you a reply within the next two days.

...Hope you have better luck than I did. It was not an issue with the dealer trying to fix...
It’s unfortunate they weren’t able to nail the problem down, kbuttrey.

Cory

My wife's 2013 Explorer. Passenger a-pillar started buzzing on 10/10, broke off on 10/11 while driving, been parked since. Submitted pictures to the dealer for warranty approval on 10/12, still waiting...

IMG_20121012_132611.jpg

IMG_20121012_132619.jpg

Windshield A pillar

That's the exact same piece that is breaking on ours. Ours isn't completely off like that yet thanks to the tape we are youing. Its estimated to be about a $300 fix if you're not with in your 36k mile warranty. Hopefully when we get ours fixed it will also stop the buzzing noise that was in the lower right portion of the windshield. You would think since this is happening on all trims on their new explorers, they would cover it with out delay.

Ah finally no noise from me windshield after almost 2 years!!!! Oh wait was in my explorer....this Infiniti jx35 is so quiet! Best move ever!!

Hey everyone,

I’m sorry I didn’t see the earlier replies in this thread. In case you missed my earlier post, I want to help by sending the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. If you haven’t already done so, please send a PM with your VIN, contact information, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state.

It’s no bother at all, Tim. :)

chimoman, Spengracin, & Jrister24,

It’s great your dealer took care of this; thanks for updating us.

Cory

Hi Cory-

My apologies for waiting so long to follow up with you on this. I'm hoping you might be able to put in a call or request to our dealer to have our 2011 Explorer's A-pillar rattle fixed when you have a moment.

Since this post in Jan 2012, we have asked our dealer to resolve it two separate time while the vehicle was in for service; however, we were told both times "the tech could not reproduce the issue". I find this difficult to believe since the noise is very easily identifiable and consistent at any speed above 45 mph--with or without a cross wind.

Can you help me?

Thanks in advance -- I can provide you my VIN# and Dealer info if you would like.

Thanks,
Tim G.
timo1745-at-gmail-dot-com

Thanks for posting an update, TxRanger351w. :)

Cory

I may have spoken too soon. Yesterday we were driving in a westerly direction, winds were from the North-Northwest. From 65 - 75 mph the buzzing was back with a vengeance.

My wife's 2013 Explorer. Passenger a-pillar started buzzing on 10/10, broke off on 10/11 while driving, been parked since. Submitted pictures to the dealer for warranty approval on 10/12, still waiting...

Update: Please bear in mind my dealer is a 50 mile round trip. Dealer did not want to warranty the a-pillar. Said that the TSB didn't cover a my 2013. After yelling at them for a few minutes (it was ugly), they agreed to replace. They had the a-pillars on hand, but couldn't locate them in the parts department. Came back the next week and had them replaced and had the oil changed. After leaving the dealer, I stopped at Home Depot, bought some stuff, went to the bag in the back seat. Driver's side rear door won't open! I drove back to the dealer. By this time it was 4:30 and no techs were available to look at it. Got an appointment for two days later where it took them 15 minutes to determine that I needed a replacement latch assembly, bring it back next week when we have the parts. Went back last week to get the door fixed... As soon as I leave and pull on to the freeway, a rock hits the windshield and puts a star in it. Drove straight to the glass shop to have that repaired. This vehicle is cursed.

...Got an appointment for two days later where it took them 15 minutes to determine that I needed a replacement latch assembly, bring it back next week when we have the parts...
Maybe you should find a four-leaf clover, chili-cat. ;) LOL JK I’m available to lend a hand by setting up a call from the customer service manager for your region. So I can do this, please send me a PM with your full name, mileage, best daytime phone number, dealer info, and VIN.

That's the exact same piece that is breaking on ours...
jclada,

Have you been to the dealer since your last follow-up?

I may have spoken too soon. Yesterday we were driving in a westerly direction, winds were from the North-Northwest. From 65 - 75 mph the buzzing was back with a vengeance.
I want to help you get this fixed, TxRanger351w. Please PM me the info I listed above and I’ll set up a call from your regional CSM.

Cory

...My apologies for waiting so long to follow up with you on this. I'm hoping you might be able to put in a call or request to our dealer to have our 2011 Explorer's A-pillar rattle fixed when you have a moment...
I’m sorry for not seeing your reply sooner, Tim; the tool I use just pulled it in today. Are you still hearing the noise? I already have your VIN, so please PM me your best daytime phone number, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and the dealer name/state.

Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My wife and i have taken our 2011 Explorer to the dealer 3 times for the windshield buzzing sound. They replaced the clips and whatever else the first 2 trips, and on the third trip said that they can not fix it. We bought it used 10 months ago with 34,000 miles on it. Now i know why the owner before us got another vehicle. We are considering trading it in for something else. I like the new Fords but if it this much of a problem we can go somewhere else.

Back