Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 58 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another genius design from FoMoCo. Seriously though. How much weight does this save? Or was it done for aesthetic purposes?

...this is the concept of a (external) "floating roof". All black windows and appliques going around the car going almost all the way to the front, the car body doesnt appear at the window edges due to the black appliques covering the frame area.
Tinted windows all the way around until the front.
...this = "floating roof" or canopy or what they call it.

Appliques used on cars is common on many many models, including more expensive cars. It depends on how well its designed and attached.

Looking at fordparts.com, it seems that the moulding is part #03136B. It is difficult to actually see if that is it. Description shows;
Windshield Moulding
Black, Includes Seal, Lower, RH

Unable to find any illustration showing 'clips'. This was on the 2013 model. Haven't been able to find the same illustration on the 2011 yet to see if it is different.

Peter

I’m the owner of a new 2013 Ford Explorer XLT. 2700 miles on it and it has been a very quiet truck until a trip this past weekend. I noticed what sounded like a high frequency helicopter buzzing coming from down low at the base of the front windshield when travelling at highway speeds. The sound would fade in and out. I never noticed the sound before although I have driven many miles at highway speeds in the last month or so – so thought that was odd the problem would start so suddenly. Then realized I had accidentally turned on the front defrost. Once I turned the defrost off the sound went away. I was able to duplicate the sound every time the front defrost was on. I suspect there is something in the design of the front defrost vent that is vibrating when subjected to highway speed wind pressure. Anyway, was hoping to find a fix for the problem which prompted me to visit this site. Am hoping others can duplicate the problem and offer a solution.

Bamaboy
2013 Ford Explorer XLT 2WD V6

My A Pillar Flew Off!

I know this is an old post but I'm new here!

I was driving on the interstate last week and suddenly something went flying off my 2012 Limited. I pulled over to inspect for damage and was shocked when I saw my Driver's side A-Pillar Cover had been completely ripped off by the wind. I was not able to locate the cover. Should I take to Ford and have them replace it or am I going to be responsible for the replacement? Also, it damaged a bit of my side mirror. Not happy to say the least!

Yup take it to the dealer, look at the top of these threads there is a STICKY thread for TSB items and the TSB for A Pillar Issues is there.

I was driving on the interstate last week and suddenly something went flying off my 2012 Limited. I pulled over to inspect for damage and was shocked when I saw my Driver's side A-Pillar Cover had been completely ripped off by the wind. I was not able to locate the cover. Should I take to Ford and have them replace it or am I going to be responsible for the replacement? Also, it damaged a bit of my side mirror. Not happy to say the least!
Welcome to the Forum ckr02a. :wavey:
As Sgt1411 mentioned in his post, there is a Technical Services Bulletin (TSB) on issues with the 'A' pillar.

12-1-11 A-PILLAR TRIM RATTLE AND/OR BUZZ - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 11/21/2011

Peter

Welcome to the Forum ckr02a.:wavey:
As Sgt1411 mentioned, there is a Technical Services Bulletin (TSB) on the 'A' pillar issue.

12-1-11 A-PILLAR TRIM RATTLE AND/OR BUZZ - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 11/21/2011

BTW, instead of beginning a new thread, it is a good thing to check for previous threads on your issue like you did. :thumbsup:

Good luck

Peter

Thanks guys! Feel free to delete my thread!

2013 Explorer Sport Buzzing noise - anyone else?

Hey all...

I purchased a new 2013 Explorer sport. I'm having a buzzing issue at higher speeds 65+, closer to 75-80 is when its the loudest. The buzzing gets louder and louder as I pick up speed. Brought to dealer.. they can't seem to figure out problem. Is anyone else having same issue? To me it sounds like its coming from under the dash board....they tell me it has something to do with the roof rack. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Sam

Hey all...

I purchased a new 2013 Explorer sport. I'm having a buzzing issue at higher speeds 65+, closer to 75-80 is when its the loudest. The buzzing gets louder and louder as I pick up speed. Brought to dealer.. they can't seem to figure out problem. Is anyone else having same issue? To me it sounds like its coming from under the dash board....they tell me it has something to do with the roof rack. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Sam

Try taping down the lower cowl across the windshield or the a-frame pillar edges.
Try one at a time and see which eliminates.
Then take to dealer and explain... there's a TSB to repair.

I've had the same issue - very annoying on a brand new vehicle. The buzzing sounds like it was coming from the right a windshield wiper arm, but the noise is still there even when cycling the wipers. As suggested, I'll try taping down components to isolate the problem...but from what I've read by others on the forum, the TSB of replacing the cowl trim doesn't always fix the problem.

Hey all...

Sam
Welcome to the Forum spappas.:wavey:
Being a new member, I thought I'd point out that this Forum has a 'Search' function that is very useful in finding out if others have already posted threads relating to the issue you have. In this case there are several and I have moved your thread to this existing one. There are also a few others, such as the following;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388152
Good luck.

Peter

Same problem on my 2013 Ex Sport -- anywhere from 55mph to 80mph it howls like crazy. Very annoying. And the speed limit on the highways out here are 70MPH so it's not like I can go slower. Sucks on a $46.2k vehicle, the sound is worse than my 2004 GTO!

...I'm having a buzzing issue at higher speeds 65+, closer to 75-80 is when its the loudest...

...The buzzing sounds like it was coming from the right a windshield wiper arm, but the noise is still there even when cycling the wipers...

Same problem on my 2013 Ex Sport -- anywhere from 55mph to 80mph it howls like crazy...

Hi everyone!

I recommend making an appointment at your dealerships so they can get this noise documented and diagnosed. I'm always happy to look into ways to assist as well; send me your information in a PM and I'll get to work. Be sure to include your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Crystal

I just took mine in with the same problem. Both side make noise but the right side is worse. I sure hope they fix it the right way... :(

Wind noise

Has anyone had a problem with humming vibration noise on the dash/windshield on the passenger side? I have taken it back to the dealership twice and of course it doesn't make a sound when they drive it. The dealership said there was a problem with the 2011's with the "A" pillar making noise, but nothing like that on the 2013's. It doesn't do it all the time and I cannot figure out what the deciding factor is that makes it do it. Sometimes it does it at low speeds(30 mph) and sometimes at higher speeds(70 mph) but not all the time, it is very aggrevating. It kinda sounds like a busted speaker when it is hit with a lot of bass. Please help.

Has anyone had a problem with humming vibration noise on the dash/windshield on the passenger side? I have taken it back to the dealership twice and of course it doesn't make a sound when they drive it. The dealership said there was a problem with the 2011's with the "A" pillar making noise, but nothing like that on the 2013's. It doesn't do it all the time and I cannot figure out what the deciding factor is that makes it do it. Sometimes it does it at low speeds(30 mph) and sometimes at higher speeds(70 mph) but not all the time, it is very aggrevating. It kinda sounds like a busted speaker when it is hit with a lot of bass. Please help.
There are a few threads on wind noises. I will move yours to this one as my PM to you.
BTW welcome to the Forum :wavey:.

Peter

Has anyone had a problem with humming vibration noise on the dash/windshield on the passenger side? I have taken it back to the dealership twice and of course it doesn't make a sound when they drive it. The dealership said there was a problem with the 2011's with the "A" pillar making noise, but nothing like that on the 2013's...

Hi Hut24,

Have you taken your tech along for a test drive so you can duplicate the sound for them? Send me your information in a private message (PM) so I can look into this. I'll need your full name, best daytime phone number, mileage, VIN, and preferred servicing dealership.

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wind noise

Hi Hut24,

Have you taken your tech along for a test drive so you can duplicate the sound for them? Send me your information in a private message (PM) so I can look into this. I'll need your full name, best daytime phone number, mileage, VIN, and preferred servicing dealership.

Crystal

Crystal,
I am out of town without my explorer so I will have to get this info to you next week.

Hut24

Back