Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 70 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

It was a warranty covered item for us. CPO warranty doesn't cover it?

I guess not. We were sold that the only things not covered were gas and tires. So far we have had to pay for a battery, rotors after being told brakes were fine 2 months previously, and now this. Even the hatch pistons were covered. I'm pissed because this was known by Ford before we bought the vehicle so it should have been swapped out before being sold as CPO.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess not. We were sold that the only things not covered were gas and tires. So far we have had to pay for a battery, rotors after being told brakes were fine 2 months previously, and now this. Even the hatch pistons were covered. I'm pissed because this was known by Ford before we bought the vehicle so it should have been swapped out before being sold as CPO.

There is a checklist that a dealer is supposed to follow and any issue on this checklist is supposed to be fixed before it becomes a CPO. A google search of "Ford CPO checklist" will link you to Ford's website where everything you need to know is listed.

They have the 172 point inspection report as well as their brochure on what is and isn't covered under the 1yr/12k warranty.

http://www.ford.com/certified-used/inspection/

Battery is only covered on the 3yr/36 bumper to bumper

Rotors are a wear item and wear items are not covered.

Ford didn't do anything wrong in your situation unfortunately.. a poor dealer, maybe. They list everything publicly right on the CPO website. Maybe a little buyer research should have been done prior to making a purchase so you fully understood what you do and do not get with a CPO.

To look on the bright side in regards to the A-pillar, you aren't out much money doing it yourself and you will probably do a better job at it. Order the part and clips if it doesn't come with it and you will be a few dollars more out of pocket since the CPO has a $100 deductible anyways

Just was at my dealer Cam Clark Ford, Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

They were well aware of the problem. What they are doing is replacing the (2) Plastic exterior Pillar Trim and the parts plus the (2) mounting fixture hardware, the part that screws/bolts on to the body. What the plastic exterior trim, is affixed to by the mounting clips .

Should be ready tomorrow.

geezerglide

There is a checklist that a dealer is supposed to follow and any issue on this checklist is supposed to be fixed before it becomes a CPO. A google search of "Ford CPO checklist" will link you to Ford's website where everything you need to know is listed.

They have the 172 point inspection report as well as their brochure on what is and isn't covered under the 1yr/12k warranty.

Ford didn't do anything wrong in your situation unfortunately.. a poor dealer, maybe. They list everything publicly right on the CPO website. Maybe a little buyer research should have been done prior to making a purchase so you fully understood what you do and do not get with a CPO.

To look on the bright side in regards to the A-pillar, you aren't out much money doing it yourself and you will probably do a better job at it. Order the part and clips if it doesn't come with it and you will be a few dollars more out of pocket since the CPO has a $100 deductible anyways

I have the extended warranty. Per salesman, everything was covered inside and out but gas and tires, including kids slashing leather with a knife (his words). Rotors pissed me off because per that dealership 1200 miles earlier, brake pads were "green" on their check list. When my wife took it in, they told us she was metal on metal due to pad being completely worn down. How does pad go from their report of green to no pad in 1200 miles? Sin e she was metal on metal, it damaged the rotors we had to pay for. They also game our tires a perfect tread score despite 54k on them. We replaced them outside of Ford. My irritation with the battery is we were told it was covered. When it wasn't and it they wanted to replace it at 38k miles, (less than 3 years old) I told them no. Per there test its cranking amps were low. It lasted another year before if finally died. I don't get how batteries have mileage restrictions on them. They don't when you buy them from Autozone and that's what I told the service guy. If your battery only lasts 2 years, why would I buy another? I just feel that if Ford cared about their customers, they would make TSBs part of the CPO process andaybe be honest about warranties. That dealership is also always trying to add on services not covered because they are recommended. Not a chance.

Thats not ford who lied, it was the dealer

Who is a representation of the company. We will not buy another Ford after this though I don't think any of the companies do a good job standing behind their products when something is found wrong.

#22 no abnormal wind noise. It has had that from day 1. My wife did complain once and they said it was normal. I guess what you are saying is that you have to hound them to fix something they already know is broken.

Who is a representation of the company. We will not buy another Ford after this though I don't think any of the companies do a good job standing behind their products when something is found wrong.
I agree with NEWPORTNJ on this. Any 'beef' you have regarding warranty coverage should be with the dealer, not Ford. Each dealership is independently owned. Also, I would have been highly sceptical of any salesman that told me "everything was covered inside and out but gas and tires, including kids slashing leather with a knife (his words)." Even the factory warranty has many exclusions listed on the brochure.
If you feel that strongly about the situation, why not write Ford and mention what you have posted here. I'm sure they wouldn't be very pleased to learn that they may be loosing customers due to events like you described.

Peter

I agree with NEWPORTNJ on this. Any 'beef' you have regarding warranty coverage should be with the dealer, not Ford. Each dealership is independently owned. Also, I would have been highly sceptical of any salesman that told me "everything was covered inside and out but gas and tires, including kids slashing leather with a knife (his words)." Even the factory warranty has many exclusions listed on the brochure.
If you feel that strongly about the situation, why not write Ford and mention what you have posted here. I'm sure they wouldn't be very pleased to learn that they may be loosing customers due to events like you described.

Peter

That's what I'm going to do. I'm digging through the paperwork to see if I can find the time my wife complained about windshield noise to see if they might help me out.

An update to my cowl cover buzzing problem. After the TSB work was completed the sound has never returned on my 2014 Sport. When this work is done make sure the.dealer places the cowl cower under the A pillar properly. It will bulge at the ends if not properly installed.

Happened to me about 3 months ago on my passenger side trim while driving on I-95 in Delaware and luckily no one was behind when it flew off. Went to Ford dealership to see if they could cover it on my Premium ESP (even though trim is not covered) but thought I try. Told me the part costs $150 not including the part that bolts to the vehicle, just the trim part. Labor would be $100. Went to Amazon and bought for $70 and put it on myself in 10 minutes.

Windshield wind noise?

Here is a 15 second video of the noise that I hear when driving at speed in the 2015 Ford Explorer Sport. I received a PM this morning from Ford Service and looking forward to addressing this issue once and doe all on a vehicle that I have owned just about 30 days now....

Mine does that too, did the dealer fix it? Was it a problem with the wipers?

Had the car for a little over a month and a half and have noticed a couple of times a buzzing sound coming from the windshield. Didn't think much about it until this past weekend when we were driving home from Minnesota and the buzzing sound was non-stop for 5 hours. Had the wife do some research while we were drving and she came across this thread and TSB 15-0143. We pulled over at a local convenience store and purchased some tape and taped the cowl to the windshield. Sound was gone the rest of the drive home. Made a call to the dealer today and they said they are aware of the problem and that its not covered under premium care. Total cost to fix it with labor will be $120. I'm still kind of pissed about the price because the car was purchased under the CPO program and mass problems like this one should be addressed before the car is sold. Low and behold the level of service I have received from Ford in the last month I would not expect them to help out with this as they don't seem to stand behind their products... Should have purchased the Honda Pilot instead.

That is absolutely ridiculous that they didn't cover that $120 repair of a known issue especially after being highlighted by a TSB being published.

You're also correct that a CERTIFIED Ford used vehicle purchase should have had all issues dealt with before sale.

I would send a Private Message to the Ford Service Reps on here and see if they can assist with Regional Ford Support. Its not a lot of money its the principal.

Its issues like this that influence people to walk over to another brand come vehicle refresh time.

That is absolutely ridiculous that they didn't cover that $120 repair of a known issue especially after being highlighted by a TSB being published.

You're also correct that a CERTIFIED Ford used vehicle purchase should have had all issues dealt with before sale.

I would send a Private Message to the Ford Service Reps on here and see if they can assist with Regional Ford Support. Its not a lot of money its the principal.

Its issues like this that influence people to walk over to another brand come vehicle refresh time.

I agree, but it seems that Ford literally gives no ***** about its customers. Our third row seat panel was cracked when they sold us the car and the dealership said give us $650 to fix it and the CSM told me to go pound sand. I feel like after 1.5 months of owning this car that i might as well trade it in on something else as the small loss is worth not having to deal with the ****ty customer service that is Ford.

Mine does that too, did the dealer fix it? Was it a problem with the wipers?

I have a 2016 that i just bought and it is doing the same thing, it is currently in the shop and has been for a week now. Very disappointed that this problem has been going on for so long. I just traded in a 2013 Edge, kind of wishing I kept it

Does anyone know if I can buy just the weather strip/seal thing that goes between the upper and lower A-pillar trim? I want to keep the lower moulding that I have and just buy a new upper piece and some new clips. The dealer wants over $300 to replace it. I don't think I could live with myself if I spent that kind of money on some part thats worth $20. This is the second time its happened. First time was on the passenger side and that cost me $160 (less than 2 years ago) and now this time on the driver's side. Still can't figure out how the price has doubled this time. I see the upper moulding for sale around $100, which is doable for me :) So the only thing need is that rubber piece! surely someone has been able to buy that from somewhere! I'm desperate people - I've been without this moulding for half a year now and its really making me fall out of love with my car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Buy all your par
Does anyone know if I can buy just the weather strip/seal thing that goes between the upper and lower A-pillar trim? I want to keep the lower moulding that I have and just buy a new upper piece and some new clips. The dealer wants over $300 to replace it. I don't think I could live with myself if I spent that kind of money on some part thats worth $20. This is the second time its happened. First time was on the passenger side and that cost me $160 (less than 2 years ago) and now this time on the driver's side. Still can't figure out how the price has doubled this time. I see the upper moulding for sale around $100, which is doable for me :) So the only thing need is that rubber piece! surely someone has been able to buy that from somewhere! I'm desperate people - I've been without this moulding for half a year now and its really making me fall out of love with my car.

I would have thought that TSB would still be a special warranty issue because it's an acknowledged design flaw.

Buy all your parts from Benny at Levittown Ford Supercenter on this forum and I bet the parts are much cheaper.

Back