• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 'A' pillar replacement

barnsY90

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
On the passenger side, the black plastic cover on the top is no longer latched. I can see that the plastic mounting piece has split. What's this thing called (or part number) and where's the best place online to buy it?

Thanks for your help.

rTTYLhg.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On the passenger side, the black plastic cover on the top is no longer latched. I can see that the plastic mounting piece has split. What's this thing called (or part number) and where's the best place online to buy it?

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the forum barnsY90.

1. It's called the passenger side "A" pillar cover.
2. It would be best to take it to a dealer and let them fix it. Another good place would be a glass shop that knows what they are doing with windshields.

The plastic clips that hold this part down are known to break easily and cause noise. Some have even flown off in traffic.

Good Luck!

Welcome to the Forum barnsY90.:wavey:
As CajunFordEx mentioned, this is called the 'A' pillar. It caused a lot of noise issues on the earlier models. When the part was being replaced, all the plastic clips that hold it in place were subsequently also were made part of the replacement kit. Attempts to reuse the clips, some of which broke, usually met with further problems.

Peter

My '15 is doing the exact same thing! Same side and everything!

Ordered ours custom from the factory and that's how it was when we took delivery. I noticed it when I got home with 7 miles on it :-(.

Welcome to the Forum Disneyland Fan.:wavey:
That is a bit odd. Most of the problems with the recent newer models has been a noisy cowl. Best take it back to the dealership and have it looked at.

Peter

Hi, does anyone know how to replace the exterior pillar mouldings ? I got the parts already, but im looking for a DIY on the installation process.
I tried the search function here, and on youtube but nothing came up.
Thank you very much.

UPDATE: Scroll down for the DIY (hope it helps)

Do a search on You Tube for: A Pillar trim Ford Flex.

I know you have an Ex but this video is the closest thing I could find.

One word of warning. The Flex supposedly has clips that allow the trim piece to slide out of (reference the video).

On my 2011 Ex, the trim pieces have different kind of clips, and you have to "Pop" them off. You said you had replacement parts already, so I'm assuming you have new trim pieces. So you can grab both sides of the shiny trim piece, wiggle and pull up at the same time and they should pop off. You'll likely break them, but if you have new trim pieces, no big deal.

If you don't have new clips to go with the new shiny trim pieces, be more careful in the removal. You should be able to save all the clips and not break them.

I had my windshield replaced today, and the shop told me it was likely they would break the trim pieces and I should get new ones. I figured if anyone was going to break them, it was going to be me. So I tried, and removed both of them successfully. Broke a plastic retainer on each side, but it's amazing what a little dab of silicone will do....

Most dealers are getting ~$100 a piece for them. Saw them as low as $85, but it is a Ford dealer only acquisition.

Good luck. Take your time, you'll be fine.

Do a search on You Tube for: A Pillar trim Ford Flex.

I know you have an Ex but this video is the closest thing I could find.

One word of warning. The Flex supposedly has clips that allow the trim piece to slide out of (reference the video).

On my 2011 Ex, the trim pieces have different kind of clips, and you have to "Pop" them off. You said you had replacement parts already, so I'm assuming you have new trim pieces. So you can grab both sides of the shiny trim piece, wiggle and pull up at the same time and they should pop off. You'll likely break them, but if you have new trim pieces, no big deal.

If you don't have new clips to go with the new shiny trim pieces, be more careful in the removal. You should be able to save all the clips and not break them.

I had my windshield replaced today, and the shop told me it was likely they would break the trim pieces and I should get new ones. I figured if anyone was going to break them, it was going to be me. So I tried, and removed both of them successfully. Broke a plastic retainer on each side, but it's amazing what a little dab of silicone will do....

Most dealers are getting ~$100 a piece for them. Saw them as low as $85, but it is a Ford dealer only acquisition.

Good luck. Take your time, you'll be fine.

Awesome, thank you so much, ill try that today
:thumbsup:

Ok, I went ahead and took some pics in the process...

My exterior moulding broke a few months ago due to road debris, and the inner moulding took some damage, so I bough the new parts finally to replace them.
SInce I had no exterior moulding, I started by removing the inner moulding...

MS8yqZ.jpg

no big deal...

iSBnm6.jpg

The new inner moulding with the 7 plastic tabs, and the old one. Notice there is an 8th tab (not shown) that clips on the marked hole. This tab comes attached to the exterior moulding.

Z6uH3Y.jpg

The new inner moulding in place...

SR9bhD.jpg

The new exterior moulding in place, just apply some pressure, so the tabs can clip into the holes.

zthyFP.jpg

NOTE: Be careful if you need to remove the exterior moulding, since the tabs can easily break. Start from the top, and work your way down...

Hi all. The panels next to the windshield have been loose for a long time, and now the weatherstripping is flopping around, pretty badly at high speeds. I found the "what this does not cover" section of the PremiumCare warranty (link to a photo below), and section X lists the things I listed in the post title, but the wording is odd, and I can't figure out if it means it doesn't cover the listed issues if they had already been "service adjustments" (fixed before) or simply doesn't cover the issues listed in the section at all (and there are a lot of them).

I have a third-party shop I prefer over the Ford dealer, so should I even bother taking these repairs to Ford?

https://goo.gl/photos/p5J2M71jbMPAeK8cA

Thanks!

The ESP brochure seems to be quite clear on this in my opinion under items not covered;

Other Components and Repairs – Fabric, liners, fasteners,
carpets, dash pad, wiper blades, knobs, trim, upholstery, physical damage or
cosmetic issues,

When you say "panels next to windshield" are you referring to the black plastic 'A' pillars?
They are held on by small plastic clips. If you have to replace the plastic panels make sure that new clips are ordered and installed as well. These 'A' pillars were a source of many issues in the early 2011 and 2012 models.

Guessing you have an 'A' pillar issue, I have merged your thread with this I found using the 'Search' function.

Peter

After 3 years the driver side ''A'' pillar trim is doing the above 50 mph buzz sound. Wondering if I ordered the piece from Ford if this is new and improved and will stop the wind buzzing sound?

I did tape down the cowl cover and that did not help. I can't seem to find a better price, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, tinner

After 3 years the driver side ''A'' pillar trim is doing the above 50 mph buzz sound. Wondering if I ordered the piece from Ford if this is new and improved and will stop the wind buzzing sound?

I did tape down the cowl cover and that did not help. I can't seem to find a better price, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, tinner
I don't think the trim piece has been changed since it came out. If you do replace it, make sure to get the plastic clips that hold it on as well. You can try contacting Benny who is with one of our site vendors Levittown Ford Super Center to see what he will quote you. You can use this link; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?conversations/add&to=LevittownFordSuperCenter

Peter

Thanks Peter.

Wondering then if replacing the ''A'' pillar trim if anyone has experienced the buzzing sound has gone or does the problem still exists since the trim piece is the same as the original?

Might have to get creative with some silicone under the rubber piece that is attached to the trim. Don't see the need to buy the trim piece if the problem will still exist.

Just had mine pop off today. Smacked the window and cracked it. I am at 33K miles so hopefully it will be covered. If not I will be raising some hell!

RowdyRed

Razziel24,

How are your A-pillar moldings holding up? When you installed them, did you have any issues with the glass?

When I took my EX to the dealership for them to quote me a price, the service tech said it would be almost $330 to replace and have glass tech do his part to it. I was very shocked once he told me how much it would cost, and I didn't think to question him at the time why the glass person needed to be involved in this process. I decided to buy these pieces myself seeing that you replaced them yourself. Any idea why the service tech would need the glass guy to help install these two upper and lower moldings?

Peter,

Per the other thread about the a-pillar noise, I contacted Benny and he quoted me a great price for both these pieces, so thank you so much for the suggestion!! :)

And for anyone wondering, you cannot buy just the rubber seal that is located between the upper and lower moldings. It is connected to the lower molding, so you must buy the lower molding in order to get the rubber seal.

I tried the link to Benny but I got an error. Any updated info on where I can order the Passenger Side upper and lower moldings for a 2013 Ford Explorer A trim?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is this only for people in Canada? Maybe that is the problem.
No, that is their contact info that comes up when you click on their 'username' on this Forum. I tried the previous link I supplied and found it didn't work anymore. I see that their logo for the username now shows Levittown Parts instead of Levittown Ford Superstore. Did you try the link I just posted?

Back