Explorer 'A' pillar replacement | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 'A' pillar replacement

No, that is their contact info that comes up when you click on their 'username' on this Forum. I tried the previous link I supplied and found it didn't work anymore. I see that their logo for the username now shows Levittown Parts instead of Levittown Ford Superstore. Did you try the link I just posted?
Thanks. Yes - I think it worked. It started a conversation and I sent/posted my question to him. Hopefully it worked!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks. Yes - I think it worked. It started a conversation and I sent/posted my question to him. Hopefully it worked!
Yes that is what it is called "Start a Conversation". You will see that as one of the options that come up when you click on any member username in the margin. It used to be referred to as a PM (Private Message) until the Forum software was updated.

Peter

I think you're going to be the first.

Lucky me..... first one on the board with a PIU, first one to deal with this.

Is there a TSB for this? The dealership doesnt want to touch it for less than $600 quoted, because they have to drill for the spotlight. I can do that myself, and I believe the outer panel is fine, just buzzing like crazy. The dealer is refusing to honor this under plantium ESP, even though I had it in for this issue before the 36k was up (at 50k now)

There is a TSB but unless you have a Ford warranty on the vehicle you'll still have to pay.
http://www.explorerforum.com/xenforo/index.php?threads/2011-explorer-tsbs.343204/

Peter

Only TSB I see is the old one, not including 2013s. I do have the Ford ESP, whatever the highest warranty is (platinum?). So we'll see, hopefully I can get the dealership to help, otherwise I guess I'll have to replace the damn thing on my own. Getting kinda irked about the few things I've paid for out of pocket already.

Only TSB I see is the old one, not including 2013s. I do have the Ford ESP, whatever the highest warranty is (platinum?). So we'll see, hopefully I can get the dealership to help, otherwise I guess I'll have to replace the damn thing on my own. Getting kinda irked about the few things I've paid for out of pocket already.
I just checked the online ESP brochure and found this list of items NOT covered;
EXTERIOR – Service adjustments, glass and fixed (non-moving) body parts, bumpers, door handles, glass, mouldings, ornamentation, paint, rust, sheet metal, structural underbody framework, sideview mirrors (glass and housing), water leaks, wind noise, weatherstrips, wheels, wheel studs, wheel covers and ornaments, convertible top, fabric, zippers and fasteners.
If the 'A' pillar is considered "Moulding", you may be out of luck.

Peter

That's what I figured. I've had it in for the cowl replacement twice, and neither time solved the issue. Wonder if I can attempt to use that for leverage. Either way, atleast the parts arent overly expensive, as long as the outer piece isnt cracked. Just makes a hell of a racket driving down the road now =/

On the passenger side, the black plastic cover on the top is no longer latched. I can see that the plastic mounting piece has split. What's this thing called (or part number) and where's the best place online to buy it?

Thanks for your help.

rTTYLhg.jpg
I have a 2011 Explorer limited (52000 miles) and the first time my drivers side came off I thought "should be easy to replace. by the way it came off while my wife was doing about 60 on a parkway and flew into the woods on the side of the road. I bought a new upper pillar piece and new clips, followed the instructions in the bag of new clips. A week later while driving on the same parkway the pillar cover snapped half way up the pillar. Lower part flew off into traffic and the top stayed clipped on tight. If you have to replace your trim piece keep in mind that it is a single install only. Meaning if it comes off it is recommended you only install a new one..After enduring water leaks, steering rack failure, door spring failure, and moon roof motor failure now trim that should stay put for the life of the car and owning a 2011 Escape limited (81000 miles) with badly rusting wheel wells.....my wife and I will soon be replacing our vehicles and Ford products are not in our considerations.

I replaced the Driver's Side A Pillar Moulding on my 2014 Sport today. As discussed above, the Service Advisor told me that the Ford Premium Care Extended Warranty doesn't cover it. If I'd replaced it during the first three years under the Basic Warranty it would have been covered, but Trim parts aren't covered under the Extended Warranty.

Parts:
BB5Z*7803145*AA - Moulding - List Price $133.50 (on ebay for $68)
BB5Z*78519R44*A - Clip Kit - List Price $16.64 (on ebay for ~$10)

Ok, I went ahead and took some pics in the process...

My exterior moulding broke a few months ago due to road debris, and the inner moulding took some damage, so I bough the new parts finally to replace them.
SInce I had no exterior moulding, I started by removing the inner moulding...

MS8yqZ.jpg

no big deal...

iSBnm6.jpg

The new inner moulding with the 7 plastic tabs, and the old one. Notice there is an 8th tab (not shown) that clips on the marked hole. This tab comes attached to the exterior moulding.

Z6uH3Y.jpg

The new inner moulding in place...

SR9bhD.jpg

The new exterior moulding in place, just apply some pressure, so the tabs can clip into the holes.

zthyFP.jpg

NOTE: Be careful if you need to remove the exterior moulding, since the tabs can easily break. Start from the top, and work your way down...

What are the part numbers you ordered for this? I cannot find the part number for the inner molding piece. And did you order new clips?

Thanks in advance.

My 2017 Sport were both cracked upon delivery. Arnold the body builder must have been the guy installing them that day. Both were cracked at the top and both had some factory glue added for adhesion. I think they are one of the most complicated over engineered trim pieces I have ever encountered. Not to worry, the drivers door pillar/keypad just started flapping in the air at 13k miles. Warranty covered but I just found a flat 2'' x 3'' piece of trim that is some kind of cover piece in the back seat after bringing home some of my daughters soccer team. I have not found where in the heck it goes yet!? The numbers on piece are 2449581 L >PP< and I am actually a pretty good car mechanic, but a bit embarrassed on this one.

My 2017 Sport were both cracked upon delivery. Arnold the body builder must have been the guy installing them that day. Both were cracked at the top and both had some factory glue added for adhesion. I think they are one of the most complicated over engineered trim pieces I have ever encountered. Not to worry, the drivers door pillar/keypad just started flapping in the air at 13k miles. Warranty covered but I just found a flat 2'' x 3'' piece of trim that is some kind of cover piece in the back seat after bringing home some of my daughters soccer team. I have not found where in the heck it goes yet!? The numbers on piece are 2449581 L >PP< and I am actually a pretty good car mechanic, but a bit embarrassed on this one.
That doesn't sound like anything that would be connected to the 'A' pillar or keypad. No idea what the numbers are. Likely a production number and not a part number.

Peter

That doesn't sound like anything that would be connected to the 'A' pillar or keypad. No idea what the numbers are. Likely a production number and not a part number.

Peter
Yes not related to the key pad, I'm thinking it is some trim/cover piece inside the vehicle somewhere. I have gained so much useful information from this forum. Thanks Peter and the rest.

Yes not related to the key pad, I'm thinking it is some trim/cover piece inside the vehicle somewhere. I have gained so much useful information from this forum. Thanks Peter and the rest.
Are you able to post a picture of it? Members like to play "guess what part this is?":D

Must be a thing today. Ordered drivers side A pillar trim Saturday. I was under 36k miles, but just over on months. The dealership hasn't told me if it's completely on me yet. Bought 2 weeks ago and didn't notice since the top edge is barely sticking up loose.

Driver's Side A Pillar is coming out on my brand new Ford Explorer 2018. Two days old, very frustrated. Should have listned to friend.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Driver's Side A Pillar is coming out on my brand new Ford Explorer 2018. Two days old, very frustrated. Should have listned to friend.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
While this was a fairly common issue on the earlier models, it is no longer so on the recent ones.

Peter

Back