explorer antenna | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

explorer antenna

Its not the am nor fm it is only with sirius radio

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

AM Reception

Sorry folks but if you are worried about the antiquated AM reception you should trade in your EX for and old 70's anything. The new Ex's are hi-tech and AM is so old it should be put to rest. Go Sirius/XM and forget about the old technology!:eek::eek::eek:

I'll resist the urge.....

I have had my 2011 Explorer for 11 months now and the AM radio signal was great until about 5 weeks ago. There is much more static than ever, the signal is weaker and the radio station is only about 20 miles away. While driving thru NC I could not pick up my regular AM stations at all and that is when I noticed the change....all in the last 5 weeks.
Would the shark antenna solve this?

Before throwing money at a shark, I would spend the time to identify why reception was lost all of a sudden.

I have had my 2011 Explorer for 11 months now and the AM radio signal was great until about 5 weeks ago. There is much more static than ever, the signal is weaker and the radio station is only about 20 miles away. While driving thru NC I could not pick up my regular AM stations at all and that is when I noticed the change....all in the last 5 weeks.
I agree with LANDYOT. Try and find out why the signal is suddenly weak. I doubt that it is the antenna. With all due respect to those that have installed the Shark, which looks very nice by the way, I don't think it actually improves reception. It is just a substitute for the OEM antenna.
How is the reception on the FM band?

Peter

Juse the tune radio app on your smart phone and play it thru your sound system, I get to listen to my avorite sports talk radio 100s of miles away

So check out that your stinger is still on top the car or if it might be loose. I had a problem on delivery with reception...turned out the stinger had not been installed during dealer prep. It simply threads on and is hand tightened. It made all the difference in the world with AM and FM reception. So maybe it has vibrated loose or maybe, and I hope this is not the case, someone "borrowed" the stinger from you. Best of luck, and don't forget to share with us if you find the root cause.

I agree with LANDYOT. Try and find out why the signal is suddenly weak. I doubt that it is the antenna. With all due respect to those that have installed the Shark, which looks very nice by the way, I don't think it actually improves reception. It is just a substitute for the OEM antenna.
How is the reception on the FM band?

Peter

I had the dealership check everything out on the radio and they found nothing wrong.

Thanks

My sirius drops out a lot more than my last vehicle did. FM is not as strong either!

The shark antenna doesn't improve reception at all its just looks better, i have it on my explorer, my friend has the 2012 mazda 3 sprots that is made by ford and he also has reception issues its some thing weak on thge radio or sirius, when i had xm i had now issues !!

My XLT's AM isn't too bad... certainly not any worse than the other cars I've recently owned. But both our sports stations have moved to FM so I only listen to the news talk on AM and that's infrequent unless I'm looking for traffic info.

The Shark antenna did nothing to improve the reception. I believe it made it worse, but the dealer check everything before I even heard about the Shark. The AM reception was great until 2 months ago now it bad everywhere. My older Explorer does not seem to have a problem at all.

The Shark antenna did nothing to improve the reception. I believe it made it worse, but the dealer check everything before I even heard about the Shark. The AM reception was great until 2 months ago now it bad everywhere. My older Explorer does not seem to have a problem at all.[/QUOTE ]Sorry to hear that it didn't solve your problem. I guess your OEM antenna wasn't faulty. I don't think anyone ekse reported degraded signals. A lot depends on how far you are from the broadcasting antennas. Perhaps there is a problem with the radio itself. Well at least you have a nice looking antenna.;)

Peter

Does the antenna on the roof recieve all signals from gps satellite,sirius satelite, and am/fm radio? Is there another antenna mbuilt into the vehicle somewhere. The reason i ask is that my am/fm reception sucks compare to all other vehicles i have owned. I live 40 miles across lake michigan in michigan and can barely pick up chicago radio stations. My other vehicles could pick up chicago stations 300 miles away from chicago. My GPS signal also drops out sometimes for several minutes when i am traveling. Anyone else have problems with reception.

I am in NJ and have a 2013 Ford Explorer. The radio reception is horrible. While still under warranty, I brought it in and they installed a new antenna "Package" and it was a little better but has gotten back to the worse reception I have ever had in a vehicle.

I am in NJ and have a 2013 Ford Explorer. The radio reception is horrible. While still under warranty, I brought it in and they installed a new antenna "Package" and it was a little better but has gotten back to the worse reception I have ever had in a vehicle.

My satellite reception is great, my FM, not so much. However, I replaced the standard long AM/FM antenna with a "stubby" because the long antenna hit going in my garage, and before I realized this I about broke it off. So I need either the stubby or a sharkfin antenna. I really think it's one of the worst antenna designs I have seen on a car.

Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
I'd be interested in knowing what the 'Package' consisted off. There are several things that could affect reception. Have you played music off a USB drive or CD or other input to see if that sounds okay? That would test out the radio itself.

Peter

I'm in NJ as well and had no problems with reception on AM/FM or Sirius (I've got Limited with the Sony system). I'd have them look at it again while it is still under warranty.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back