Explorer Audio upgrade(s) | Page 27 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just an observation, but on my 17 XLT, there is under the front seats heat ducting. Does the Limited not have this or do you never get Cold In Philly - LOL.
I was wondering about the heat ducting last night as well but didn't feel like going out and checking that.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I admire your nice clean install but your right about the connections getting in contact with rear seat passengers. I guess if you make a shield your other concern is how is that going to allow heat dissipation?
That is actually the purpose of my post. I don't know how hot that amp will get, but the original Sony amp was mounted inside the right rear wall so it didn't get much air either. I was thinking about maybe gluing some Plexiglas strips to give a 1/2" rise. I am just looking for suggestions.

Just an observation, but on my 17 XLT, there is under the front seats heat ducting. Does the Limited not have this or do you never get Cold In Philly - LOL.

Also, if you do not use the 3rd row seating, why not put those amps directly aft of the 2nd row seating.
The amp slides underneath the air ducts but you're right, that could be an issue.

Also, if you do not use the 3rd row seating, why not put those amps directly aft of the 2nd row seating.
I had the big amp there originally, there are some pics of it some posts back. I am just trying to come up with something that will not change the usability of the car.

I came up with another idea, make the front part of the Plexiglas as high as the bar above the amp, this gives the amp room to vent:
amp_cover2.jpg

There is a heating vent back there, you can see it just above the end of the amp. Here's a closer look:
amp_cover1.jpg

I think I will stick with this setup for now.

OK seriously, that's impressive......what about airflow around all that electronic heat build-up under the seats?
I normally leave it in the up position, and stowed when I leave the vehicle unattended. Note however, there are two small stacked blowers at the top right that move apprx. 32 cfm across the heat sinks. Haven't had any issues yet, up or down.

Long thread here, looking for an easy solution. Just got back into a explorer. 2018 xlt with stock system, and it sounds...well like crap. My 2016 ss camaro had a great sounding stereo. I have an old infinity self powered sub laying around, so i will find a place to stick that, but i am looking to improve the highs in the front. Anyone just swap out tweeters?

Long thread here, looking for an easy solution. Just got back into a explorer. 2018 xlt with stock system, and it sounds...well like crap. My 2016 ss camaro had a great sounding stereo. I have an old infinity self powered sub laying around, so i will find a place to stick that, but i am looking to improve the highs in the front. Anyone just swap out tweeters?

If you are going to bother with taking off the door panel, you might as well replace the woofer and tweeter. A lot of added benefits to doing that over just replacing a tweeter. If you think the system sounds like crap, replacing the tweeter will do very little to improving the sound.

If you are going to bother with taking off the door panel, you might as well replace the woofer and tweeter. A lot of added benefits to doing that over just replacing a tweeter. If you think the system sounds like crap, replacing the tweeter will do very little to improving the sound.
So I decided for now, just replacing tweets. Made a pretty drastic difference. Probably just a difference in the crossover, but my highs sound pretty good now. I will say though, those door panel clips...holy sh! What a pita to pop! Thinking I might just add an underseat slim sub, and should be an overall improvement.

UPDATE! I decided I couldn't leave the system as is. I ordered 4 cheapo pioneer 6x9`s from crutchfield. $59 shipped with mounting adapters and wire harness included. Well holy Sh.... it sounds amazing! Wtf is Ford thinking with these GARBAGE speakers? I am quite happy now.

Last edited:

Yup, even cheap aftermarket speakers are often a solid improvement over stock speakers. Most people don't care about sound quality, unfortunately, and therefore automakers can get away with putting in the cheapest speakers possible. Cheap speakers also tend to weigh less, which is all part of improving efficiency (since everything adds up). But of course a few extra pounds won't hurt.

So as I cant leave well enough alone....I added the pioneer underseat sub, and swapped out the center 3 1/2" speaker. That center speaker has absolutely NO highs. I had a cheap boss 3 1/2" laying around, and WOW. It brings everything together now. SO for $200 I have transformed the Non sony system. Ford should be ashamed of themselves for this POS system in a $46k vehicle. Its a joke.

That Pioneer sub makes a big difference but I also upgraded the 6 door speakers. Never crossed my mind about the center speaker but don't need to now. I agree, the factory sound system is very poor at best.

That Pioneer sub makes a big difference but I also upgraded the 6 door speakers. Never crossed my mind about the center speaker but don't need to now. I agree, the factory sound system is very poor at best.
You might be surprised how much a difference that center makes.

i just picked up a new 2019 sport and the sound is not great. i didnt get the upgraded sony. So is the first step to replace the speakers? sounds like it makes a big improvement? then move to amp and sub if not satisfied?

thanks!

i just picked up a new 2019 sport and the sound is not great. i didnt get the upgraded sony. So is the first step to replace the speakers? sounds like it makes a big improvement? then move to amp and sub if not satisfied?

thanks!
I added cheapo pioneer speakers from crutchfield...made a dramatic difference. I also added an underseat pioneer sub. For $260 for everything , it was well worth it.
And yeah, the stock Ford system blows. The stock system in my gm was WAY better. Ford needs to work on their tech.

I added cheapo pioneer speakers from crutchfield...made a dramatic difference. I also added an underseat pioneer sub. For $260 for everything , it was well worth it.
And yeah, the stock Ford system blows. The stock system in my gm was WAY better. Ford needs to work on their tech.

ah good to know, thanks! mine is a lease so dont want to put a lot of money into it, and will prob remove it at lease end.

does the sub need a separate amp?

are people replacing all speakers? which ones make a big difference? thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

are people replacing all speakers? which ones make a big difference? thanks!
I did all, because the speakers were cheap enough, and pretty easy to change. You probably could get away with leaving the rear door speakers.

Back