1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Explorer Brake Upgrades

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorer Sport Tuning' started by Loganfilm, March 16, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. KlausJ

KlausJ Member

City, State:
      Frankfurt, Germany, Europe
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2011 Explorer
      I just wanna give a short review of my brake conversion (2011, Explorer Limited):
      This was the fourth brake overhaul on my car after the previous discs only worked well for just 10000mi in average (one set of discs just worked well for 3000mi) on german driving habits ;).
      This upgrade made made a big difference. They are now at 15000 mi, still having 100% brake power, so they're definately recommended.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. ObsceneJesster

ObsceneJesster Active Member

2015 Ford Explorer
      After yesterday's snow, I got to say that I am very impressed with my 15' XLT break system. I already knew they were good on dry pavement but the ABS performed perfectly in the snow. Especially while descending the steepest paved hill known to man. In my opinion, the Explorers breaking system performed better than any modern vehicle my wife and I have owned in the past 5 years. They include a 2010 Grand Cherokee, 2012 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Acura MDX.

4. Levittown Ford Parts

Levittown Ford Parts EF Vendor

All

Hello,

We have had Flex customers purchase and install the kit successfully. We do not have technical data as to the size of the pistons or how much more fluid they can hold. We have found there is a different master cylinder than the Explorer but we have not sold it to any of our Flex customers meaning they stayed with the original. Here is a parts list I compiled to compare the vehicles parts:

-Benny

Attached Files:

5. rockston

rockston New Member

2011 flex eb
      Thanks Benny
      Any idea if the booster is the same as well? From the "2140" number would it be safe to assume that the cylinder has the same displacement? Where do you guys get technical info on Ford parts? All the specs I can find are uniformly vague and lacking detailed information. Maybe I'm just expecting an unrealistic level of detail? I'm more used to working with German car parts than with domestics, so I feel like I'm at square one, trying to discover who is who in the aftermarket, and who are the best oem suppliers, etc.

6. Levittown Ford Parts

All
      Here are my findings on the booster:

11/2010 and up Flex - BE8Z2005B
      11/2010 to 2/2012 Explorer - BB5Z2005A
      2/2012 and up Explorer - DB5Z2005B

I see not booster specified for HD brakes only model year splits.

Technical information like what you are requesting is not available to us nor is it normally required during the normal task of selling replacement parts.

-Benny

7. rockston

rockston New Member

2011 flex eb
      Benny, you've got a pm.

8. Levittown Ford Parts

All
      Replied,
      Thank you sir

-Benny

9. rockston

rockston New Member

2011 flex eb
      Benny, i havent recieved an order confirmation yet, want to make sure it went through and didnt get lost to spam or something

10. Levittown Ford Parts

All
      I'm guessing first name Pete? If so your order number is 5776 for reference and has been received and is in processing. You should have received confirmation to your gmail account, Can you please check your spam folder?

Thanks,
      Benny

11. rockston

rockston New Member

2011 flex eb
      Benny, after some digging, i found it in spam, thx again. Contact added so future emails wont be lost to the great filtered beyond

-Pete

Last edited: May 4, 2015
    12. Levittown Ford Parts

All
      Thanks for checking Pete

-Benny

13. TheMustangShow

TheMustangShow Member

City, State:
      EARTH
      2013 Explorer SPORT
      Now that the Boost is way up, I'm looking for an upgrade too.

The Explorer Sport HD brakes are a marked improvement over the standard Explorer binders, but they are very heavy, looking to eliminate some unsprung weight but improve the performance a bit.

14. Quicksilver

Quicksilver Active Member

City, State:
      SoCal the OC
      2014 Explorer Sport
      Simple, forged rims. I saved about 4lbs/corner and that's with wider tires...

15. TheMustangShow

TheMustangShow Member

City, State:
      EARTH
      2013 Explorer SPORT
      Losing any unsprung weight helps, but I'm hoping for save more that 4lbs with with a lighter rotor and I like the stock Explorer Sport wheels and run them in the summer with bigger meats (265/50/20), so I'll be keeping the stock wheels.

16. anthony d

anthony d New Member

City, State:
      NY/NJ
      2015 Explorer Sport
      Does anyone know if Brembo or AP or Wilwood is making a big brake kit for these trucks? IMO the stock brakes are underengineered for what these trucks are capable of.

17. rockston

rockston New Member

2011 flex eb
      If you think the Sport brakes are under engineered, try having the non-sport brakes on a rig with the ecoboost motor! I got them installed on the flex the other weekend. install went smoothly. ...now I have the larger sized "sport" carrier and calipers, so if i want to drop some unsprung mass or get a more powerful caliper in the future i should have some better options than were available with just the standard non-sport units. ...once i'm well out beyond my extended warranty period.

honestly, the added mass is pretty minimal... and it's relatively close to the axis of rotation. unless you are going to the extent of reengineering the front control arm geometry to mitigate dive, the best way to alter your effective spring rate is still going to be with actual springs. you will get a squared effect the further from the axis of rotation that you remove any unsprung mass... so (with generalized numbers for example only) for every 1 pound of tire you reduce the mass, it'll have the same effect as a 2 pounds of reduction in the rim mass, or 4 pounds of reduction at the outter edge of the rotor, or 16 pounds of reduction at the hub center.

So arguing against bigger stronger better brakes that are very close to the center of the rotational axis, in the name of unsprung weight, but not being willing to consider lightweight wheel options or tire profile and compound options as better locations for reducing unsprung mass, is absurd at best. If you are primarily concerned with steering road feel, just choose your next set of tires (and possibly wheels) wisely and you'll get the "best bang for your buck". if your thinking you want to alter your effective/dynamic spring rate by reducing unsprung mass, your not going to be able to effect dive characteristics without either A) changing to a higher static spring rate, or B) redesigning the front control arm geometry.

Just some reactionary thoughts as try to understand your unsprung weight comment. Take them or leave them. best regards.

18. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Not sure if some of you have read this thread from the beginning. But this poster had mentioned the brake comparisons a few years ago. The only Explorer with larger sizes is the Interceptor as mention early on. According to another member, increasing brake size doesn't necessarily increase your stopping ability. It depends on the tires as well.
      http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3154972&postcount=16
      All brakes were upgraded part way through the 2013 model run.

Peter

Last edited: January 2, 2016
    19. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      True, the tires are the biggest key to stopping, for traction in any conditions.

My first custom brakes with 12.75" rotors would stop the tires at over 80mph. The ABS wasn't happy. I got that power from larger caliper piston areas, and the stock 95-01 calipers already had a big area. I changed later to a slightly smaller SSBC caliper, 43mm pistons(4). Now it's close to where the stock power was. Note this example was always with 18" wheels(72.5lbs wheel/tire), 31" when the power was more than the tires could handle. Now I'm back down to a 29" tire, about 10lbs less weight per tire. My 18's are aftermarket(cheap and heavy). I'd love to change to a lighter forged wheel(17"x9" Volk GTC). Most OEM wheels are relatively light, stick to those if possible.

So work on finding the best tire for the vehicle, and then optimize the brakes. Regards,

20. 1995E

1995E Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Maryland
      95 + 11 Ex both XLT
      I want to upgrade my brakes to the Interceptor versions

So very recently, I was on the highway and two cars crashed to a halt a few car lengths in front of me. I slammed the brakes but the Explorer was hesitating to stop, had I not switched to the emergency lane, I would have struck them.

I changed the rear brakes only due to uneven wear and I did have issues with it. I am guessing since I bought really cheap pads, that was the main issue.

Anyway, I want to upgrade my rotors and pads to the interceptor package version since I know those brakes actually work. I know there was an upgrade to the brakes in 2013 that are similar to the interceptor brakes.

I have a 2011 Ford Explorer so I wonder if my caliper would be compatible if I upgraded the rotors and pads front and rear.

Also, is it even possible for me to order the police interceptor rotors and pads?

Thanks!

21. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      As of the midpoint of the 2013 production line, all brakes were upgraded to the same ones as found on the Sport and Interceptor.

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433079&highlight=interceptor+brakes

I've merged your thread with this existing one. Good luck and Happy New Year.

Peter

Last edited: January 2, 2016
    22. 1995E

1995E Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Maryland
      95 + 11 Ex both XLT
      I've been researching on the parts listed here just trying to see which pads the Interceptor uses. When I looked up parts with Interceptor Utility Vins, I got these results:

Pads:

Interceptor Utility:
      Fronts: (BRF-1435) Brake Shoe or Disc Pad
      Rears: (BRF-1383) Brake Shoe or Disc Pad

Sport:
      Fronts: (BRF-41) Brake Shoe or Disc Pad
      Rears: (BRF-1447) Brake Shoe or Disc Pad

This leads me to believe that the actual heavy duty high temperature brake pads are the BRF-1435s and the BRF-1383s. I'd rather get the Interceptor high temperature pads that have noise. Can someone help me confirm the information I provided? I checked several police interceptor vins and they all had the same pad information as did the Sports with other Sports.

With the rear calipers for the Sport and Interceptor seem to have changed every year from 2013 to 2015. Does anyone know the difference between the rear calipers between each model years? Also, does anyone know the difference between the Sport calipers and the PI front calipers? I read that it was the silicone versus rubber but is there any other difference other than that?

Calipers:

Interceptor:
      Fronts: (BRCF-208) & (BRCF-209) Front Disc Brake Calipers (2013 - 2015)
      Rears:
      2013: (BRCF-210) & (BRCF-211) Rear Disc Brake Calipers (Same as Sport)
      2014: (BRCF-280) & (BRCF-281) Rear Disc Brake Calipers (Same as Sport)
      2015: (BRCF-304) & (BRCF-305) Rear Disc Brake Calipers (Same as Sport)

2015: (BRCF-302) & (BRCF-303) Rear Disc Brake Calipers with description:
      Un-loaded; OE Design, w/ Standard Duty Calipers and Pads ??????

Sport:
      Fronts: (BRCF-292) & (BRCF-293) Front Disc Brake Calipers (2013 - 2015)
      Rears:
      2013: (BRCF-210) & (BRCF-211) Rear Disc Brake Calipers (Same as PI)
      2014: (BRCF-280) & (BRCF-281) Rear Disc Brake Calipers (Same as PI)
      2015: (BRCF-304) & (BRCF-305) Rear Disc Brake Calipers (Same as PI)

2015: (BRCF-302) & (BRCF-303) Rear Disc Brake Calipers with description:
      Un-loaded; OE Design, w/ Standard Duty Calipers and Pads ??????

Attached Files:

Last edited: February 4, 2016
    23. Levittown Ford Parts

All
      We can clear this up with a VIN from an interceptor, Shoot one over to me and I will filter it out.

-Benny

24. slicky

slicky Active Member

2016 Explorer Sport
      Why do you want the high temp pads? Under normal driving, you are unlikely to ever get them to their maximum temperature. What I would like is a more aggressive compound. I hate the amount of pedal travel that is required to get it to stop. Not used to this type of vehicle and usually end up traveling further than expected before it comes to stop. Will need to look at what pads are out there from the aftermarket.

25. 1995E

1995E Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Maryland
      95 + 11 Ex both XLT
      When I had 7 people averaging 150 pounds per person in the car. I was braking from 80 MPH and the whole car was vibrating/shaking because the rotors had warped from heat and the brake fade was insane. Not to mention when I was towing my friend's Taurus with 7 people in the car, stopping power was dismal with the 2011's stock brakes. I should actually upload that video, it was pretty funny.

When I brought the car in for a brake inspection in 2012 at just 10,000 miles, my service manager said I am extremely hard on my brakes but all I ever did was drive it normally.

I'm planning to get the brakes changed before my spring break trip this spring.

26. 1995E

1995E Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Maryland
      95 + 11 Ex both XLT