Explorer Brake Upgrades | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Brake Upgrades

Hey No problem,

With the pure mass of those vehicles and part interchangeability they make excellent second cars and are typically cheap to keep them going too!

-Benny

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Peter, I just got another look at them today and they match the other wheel, post #70 in that thread. Does that mean that they are 18's, I didn't get out and read the tire. I'll see what size they are later. It's a black steel five large hole wheel. That other wheel hides the brakes even more.
Hi Don. According to one of the posts, those seem to be the 18" wheels. The 17" Winter wheels I use to replace the OEM 20's look like the other picture where you can hardly see the brakes. A 17" will fit on the Sport but there won't be a lot of 'wiggle' room.;)

Peter

Hi Don. According to one of the posts, those seem to be the 18" wheels. The 17" Winter wheels I use to replace the OEM 20's look like the other picture where you can hardly see the brakes. A 17" will fit on the Sport but there won't be a lot of 'wiggle' room.;)

Peter

Yes, I've got 16" Limited wheels on my 12.75" rotors. I began with 12.90" pieces, but the calipers were a little tighter on them with the brackets I had made. I made up another two piece rotor(hat and ring), using the 12.75" size, which let me use the brackets and not have to have them remade.

As long as the rotors are in the range of ##.80 inches, the clearance of the caliper will be very tight.

What do those OEM 13.8" rotors weigh, does anyone have one handy to check?

Hey guys the pads we sell with our kit are the HD version, Here is the breakdown:

Front Pads Standard:
Ford # DG1Z2001E
Motorcraft # BRF1435

Front Pads Heavy Duty:
Ford# DG1Z2001D
Motorcraft# BRF41

Rear Pads Standard:
Ford # DG1Z2200B
Motorcraft # BRF1383

Rear Pads Heavy Duty:
Ford # EG1Z2200B
Motorcraft # BRF1447

-Benny

Benny, thanks for giving out the breakdown and part numbers for the brake pads. I set up an online account with Levittown and used the part number search to locate the pads. That's where things got a little askew... The part number brings up:

Explorer Sport upgrade kit front $364.
Explorer Sport upgrade kit rear $371.

Are those the correct prices FOR JUST THE PADS??:eek:

Benny, thanks for giving out the breakdown and part numbers for the brake pads. I set up an online account with Levittown and used the part number search to locate the pads. That's where things got a little askew... The part number brings up:

Explorer Sport upgrade kit front $364.
Explorer Sport upgrade kit rear $371.

Are those the correct prices FOR JUST THE PADS??:eek:

No those are the prices for the whole upgrade kit, What exactly are you looking for? If its just replacement pads please search the above mentioned numbers here http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/repair-parts.php

-Benny

I used those numbers Benny, the description came up 'kit'. I just want a better pad compound that doesn't fade in a single 90MPH stop. THe E Sport brakes are indeed generously sized, I think the compound is my gripe;)

I used those numbers Benny, the description came up 'kit'. I just want a better pad compound that doesn't fade in a single 90MPH stop. THe E Sport brakes are indeed generously sized, I think the compound is my gripe;)

Here is a direct link to purchase the Heavy Duty pads http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/oemparts.php?partstr=123/DG1Z2001D-EG1Z2200B.html

If you want to go with the front only for now then select the top number for 56.32

I think these will do the trick for you

Benny

Hi Benny.
I´ve got a question:
Do you have an idea of the weight of these upgrade kits?
I would need to carry them on an airplane and need to check, if mailing is cheaper.

Thanks
Klaus

Hi Benny.
I´ve got a question:
Do you have an idea of the weight of these upgrade kits?
I would need to carry them on an airplane and need to check, if mailing is cheaper.

Thanks
Klaus

Sorry Klaus I am not located within the parts department therefore I do not have physical contact with them. My guess would be 45-55 lbs each upgrade (front or rear)

-Benny

Benny,
ok, no problem. Thank you anyway.
Bu I think it´s more, cause even the discs are 50 lbs and with the other parts... interesting.
Well, UPS calls 450 USD for shipping one and 600 for both... So I think It´ll ne cheaper in the airplane.

Benny,
ok, no problem. Thank you anyway.
Bu I think it´s more, cause even the discs are 50 lbs and with the other parts... interesting.
Well, UPS calls 450 USD for shipping one and 600 for both... So I think It´ll ne cheaper in the airplane.

Yes much cheaper even to pay 2 additional baggage charges on a plane than UPS them to Germany.

-Benny

damn benny, what happened to the price? i just went to order front and rear kits as it is time for a brake job on the 2013 and low and behold they are considerably more!!! whats the scoop?

damn benny, what happened to the price? i just went to order front and rear kits as it is time for a brake job on the 2013 and low and behold they are considerably more!!! whats the scoop?

Our markup remains the same. Ford did increase prices of the calipers and also applied core charges to each caliper.

What I can do is give you Free shipping within the U.S on these for forum members. If your interested PM me after you have placed the order with the # and I will refund.

Thanks,
Benny

Benny, i just ordered. But, i think i made a mistake! After clicking submit, it hit me, i have a 2wd XLT, these kits are for the sport with front drive axles, will they fit? if not, i may need your help cancelling the order.

Will these upgrade kits work to upgrade the brakes on a 2010 Ford Flex Ecoboost as well?

I will need to look into this more and will have an answer shortly.

Benny, i just ordered. But, i think i made a mistake! After clicking submit, it hit me, i have a 2wd XLT, these kits are for the sport with front drive axles, will they fit? if not, i may need your help cancelling the order.

There are no components which specify 2wd or 4wd , Ford kept all the brake components the same.

Thanks,
Benny

Will these upgrade kits work to upgrade the brakes on a 2010 Ford Flex Ecoboost as well?

Surprisingly after comparing the part numbers from a Flex to standard Explorer they DO use the same components meaning there should be no reason the Sport upgrade wont work. I compared the fronts only at this time.

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Benny

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

does anyone have torque specs for caliper and bracket bolts for the upgrade kit? Im guessing it would be the same specs as any 2013 built after the upgrade date and any 2014, 2015. cannot find anywhere online. My

Back