Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Explorer Brake Upgrades

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods' started by Loganfilm, March 16, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. fourZero

fourZero New Member

City, State:
    Bakersfield, CA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2015 Explorer Sport
    Of course you can make it go faster without replacing the engine, transmission, linkage (?) and wiring (??). You have contributed zero to this thread, just because you don't want to upgrade your brakes doesn't mean that nobody else could ever possibly want to do so.

I'd rather see upgraded brakes on this vehicle than neon undercarriage lights.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Wow! fourZero, for a new member you sure seemed to have jumped onto this forum with an attitude. In 2 of your 4 posts you have mentioned, "You have contributed zero to this thread" or that it was an "incredibly useless post". Not exactly a great way to introduce yourself to the community. I would suggest perhaps using a more subtle approach in future posts.

Peter

4. MikeCallery

MikeCallery Elite Explorer

'11 XLT Tri-Coat
    I do not get online to this forum often but some of the comments in this thread are uncalled for and in some cases, just immature. It is the reason that some people do not bother with forums.

If someone wants to upgrade his/her brakes, mocking their decision is not the way to go about it and/or make friends here when you might need advice. A good critique goes a much longer way then ripping someone's decision apart.

5. fourZero

fourZero New Member

City, State:
    Bakersfield, CA
    2015 Explorer Sport
    edited

Last edited: October 14, 2014
  6. Johnny Neat

Johnny Neat New Member

City, State:
    Miami, Florida
    2011 Ford Explorer XLT
    I'm coming to this late, but Benny in the brake kit are the rotors included? I have a 2011 XLT and I need to resurface my rotors, but thinking of just upgrading instead to the sport setup instead.

7. Levittown Ford Parts

Levittown Ford Parts EF Vendor

All
    Yes sir, Both the front and rear kits include rotors. Click on the links for a full breakdown of whats included:
    Front http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/ford-explorer-sport-brake-upgrade-front-p-2195.html

Rear http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/ford-explorer-sport-brake-upgrade-rear-p-2196.html

-Benny

8. Johnny Neat

Johnny Neat New Member

City, State:
    Miami, Florida
    2011 Ford Explorer XLT
  9. Levittown Ford Parts

All
    We recommend both the front and rear upgrade as to match pad compounds and braking performance.

-Benny

10. Johnny Neat

Johnny Neat New Member

City, State:
    Miami, Florida
    2011 Ford Explorer XLT
    Thanks Benny, duly noted.

11. rockston

rockston New Member

2011 flex eb
    Benny, I'm interested in a conversion kit. I have a 2011 Flex EcoBoost. Have you sold this kit to any other flex owners yet or verified it's compatibility aside from just the part numbers? The flex is great, we love it, but the brakes are just not up to the challenge for spirited driving... and I recently picked up a camper that I intend to haul summer 2015 through the mountains.... so I need a solution. I'm a little hesitant because I haven't read many credible accounts for what the difference in pedal is, what is the increased pedal travel when you bolt on these brakes? Being that they seem to have larger calipers, I would assume the pistons would hold more fluid. Is there published volumes (sizes and numbers of caliper pistons) so I could compare fluid volumes of this interceptor/sport setup against the stock volumes? Is there also an alternate master cylinder of a large size that needs to be mated to these kits in order to get an ideal pedal travel and firmness? Or are the master cylinders the same size or part numbers??

12. KlausJ

KlausJ Member

City, State:
    Frankfurt, Germany, Europe
    2011 Explorer
    I just wanna give a short review of my brake conversion (2011, Explorer Limited):
    This was the fourth brake overhaul on my car after the previous discs only worked well for just 10000mi in average (one set of discs just worked well for 3000mi) on german driving habits ;).
    This upgrade made made a big difference. They are now at 15000 mi, still having 100% brake power, so they're definately recommended.

13. ObsceneJesster

ObsceneJesster Active Member

2015 Ford Explorer
    After yesterday's snow, I got to say that I am very impressed with my 15' XLT break system. I already knew they were good on dry pavement but the ABS performed perfectly in the snow. Especially while descending the steepest paved hill known to man. In my opinion, the Explorers breaking system performed better than any modern vehicle my wife and I have owned in the past 5 years. They include a 2010 Grand Cherokee, 2012 Subaru Legacy, 2012 Acura MDX.

14. Levittown Ford Parts

All

Hello,

We have had Flex customers purchase and install the kit successfully. We do not have technical data as to the size of the pistons or how much more fluid they can hold. We have found there is a different master cylinder than the Explorer but we have not sold it to any of our Flex customers meaning they stayed with the original. Here is a parts list I compiled to compare the vehicles parts:

-Benny

Attached Files:

15. rockston

rockston New Member

2011 flex eb
    Thanks Benny
    Any idea if the booster is the same as well? From the "2140" number would it be safe to assume that the cylinder has the same displacement? Where do you guys get technical info on Ford parts? All the specs I can find are uniformly vague and lacking detailed information. Maybe I'm just expecting an unrealistic level of detail? I'm more used to working with German car parts than with domestics, so I feel like I'm at square one, trying to discover who is who in the aftermarket, and who are the best oem suppliers, etc.

16. Levittown Ford Parts

All
    Here are my findings on the booster:

11/2010 and up Flex - BE8Z2005B
    11/2010 to 2/2012 Explorer - BB5Z2005A
    2/2012 and up Explorer - DB5Z2005B

I see not booster specified for HD brakes only model year splits.

Technical information like what you are requesting is not available to us nor is it normally required during the normal task of selling replacement parts.

-Benny

17. rockston

rockston New Member

2011 flex eb
    Benny, you've got a pm.

18. Levittown Ford Parts

All
    Replied,
    Thank you sir

-Benny

19. rockston

rockston New Member

2011 flex eb
    Benny, i havent recieved an order confirmation yet, want to make sure it went through and didnt get lost to spam or something

20. Levittown Ford Parts

All
    I'm guessing first name Pete? If so your order number is 5776 for reference and has been received and is in processing. You should have received confirmation to your gmail account, Can you please check your spam folder?

Thanks,
    Benny

21. rockston

rockston New Member

2011 flex eb
    Benny, after some digging, i found it in spam, thx again. Contact added so future emails wont be lost to the great filtered beyond

-Pete

Last edited: May 4, 2015

We Support Our Troops!