Explorer braking shudder frustration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer braking shudder frustration

Xeven333

Reaction score
City, State
Honolulu, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer
im reaching out to the community for help. I’ve been having a problem with my explorer for a few years and I can’t figure it out. My explorer shakes when I brake over 60 mph. It’s been progressively getting worse and I can’t find the problem. I’ve changed rotors, brake pads, front axle, and my driveshaft. I do not feel it in my brake pedal or my steering wheel. It almost seems like the whole front of the car shakes.

If anyone had this problem or knows of a thread here on the forums please point me in the right direction. I love this car but I’m getting very frustrated with this problem

Aloha

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aloha. Has anyone ever checked the ABS system?

Peter

No I haven’t. But no abs light has come on. It only comes happens at higher speeds. Is the abs a common problem?

Not a common problem that I'm aware off but it does cause a pulsating feel in the brake pedal under hard braking. I know you mentioned you don't feel it in the pedal but it was the only thing I could think of at the moment that is associated with braking. I'd think that if there was a problem with wheels or tires you should notice that with regular driving. I take it you haven't gone to a dealer with this issue.
I'm sure other members will have some ideas.

Peter

Yeah it’s really weird situation. I did ask the dealer and they are not familiar with this problem. So I’ve been troubleshooting it myself. It doesn’t have that pulsating feel like abs. It’s like a shake That’s why I thought the driveshaft was the answer. Cause of its rotating mass. But. It still here. Very puzzling. I hoping someone else has this problem here. Thank you for the insight and I will prob look at abs system to at least rule that out.

If a wheel speed sensor is malfunctioning, it may trigger the ABS pump thinking the wheel is locked.

This does not always generate a fault code because the car may not detect a fault.

What you're describing sounds more ABS related than not--but I'm also not driving your car.

I would probably use FORScan to check the ABS wheel speed sensor inputs for anomalies just to rule it out.

Otherwise the pulsation seems like rotor issues, perhaps from overtorqued wheel(s).

im reaching out to the community for help. I’ve been having a problem with my explorer for a few years and I can’t figure it out. My explorer shakes when I brake over 60 mph. It’s been progressively getting worse and I can’t find the problem. I’ve changed rotors, brake pads, front axle, and my driveshaft. I do not feel it in my brake pedal or my steering wheel. It almost seems like the whole front of the car shakes.

If anyone had this problem or knows of a thread here on the forums please point me in the right direction. I love this car but I’m getting very frustrated with this problem

Aloha

Aloha nui!

If you use a big enough cowcatcher on the front, you can just do away with braking, and solve the problem that way! Just kidding.

How is the suspension? Specifically control arms.

I would say to have a look at front suspension and steering. A worn inner or outer tie rod could cause vibration/shaking under heavier braking. Very hard issue to diagnose over the internets as you really need a skilled tech to go over the vehicle live. Everything else is just guessing, but if you guess and replace enough parts, you may get it fixed eventually...;-)

Here is another thought. You said you replaced the brake rotors, but you didn’t say if you did the fronts or all four. These newer Explorers actually apply a little rear brake before the fronts apply. Even though it feels like it’s coming from the front, it could be the rears. If you only replaced the fronts first time around, this could be your problem.

does the steering wheel shake back and forth when braking at higher speeds all the time?

Yes I changed all 4 rotors and pads at once and it didn’t go away

The weird thing I don’t feel it in the steering wheel or the brake pedal. It feels like the whole front of the car is shaking. And it’s gettig progressively worse and at slower speeds

Yes I changed all 4 rotors and pads at once and it didn’t go away

The weird thing I don’t feel it in the steering wheel or the brake pedal. It feels like the whole front of the car is shaking. And it’s gettig progressively worse and at slower speeds

Had the same issue, replaced ball joints with the lower control arm and problem solved.

Did the whole front end shake? Did you replace the whole control arm? Could you visually see the ball joint damaged? Thanks. For the advice. This problem is crazy

You will probably just need to check everything out until you find the culprit. If the vehicle seems fine under lighter and lower speed braking, but as soon as you brake aggressively or from higher speed, you get a shake, then maybe try taking it to an alignment shop with skilled techs for a diagnosis.

Front control arms (bushings) are a bit of a known problem. There are some tests you can do to check ball joints, but one of the easiest is to simply separate it from the knuckle and check how loose it is. Depending on your mileage and whether you are doing repairs yourself, it may or may not be a big deal to tear into things and replace what's worn. If you are paying someone else, make sure to use someone that can properly diagnose and repair, not just someone that does a cursory visual inspection, puts it on an alignment rack and says it's fine. It's unfortunate, but from reading stuff around here, it seems like some stuff just wears out faster on the explorer than other vehicles.

The lower control arms and ball joints are one piece construction. Can't replace one without the other. Once I replaced them and did an alignment the problem was solved.

I did the alignment and it didn’t help and I’ve been through two sets of rims the problem never went away

Thank you I will check the lower control arm bushings and ball joints.

Is there anything to look for or just excessive wear?

I have had vibration issues with past cars and few things to check: have your wheels check to ensure they are not bent or out of round, even the slightest imperfection can cause vibration at higher speed. Also look at the tires, I have had new ones cause vibration, some tires are just not very good or not a good match for the car/SUV.

Others have chimed in on other areas to look into.

Good luck and hope you find the issue.

Aloha
I'm having the same issues. Do you ever figure out the cause?

I'm having the same issues. Do you ever figure out the cause?
Welcome to the Forum Will. :wave:
FYI, the member you quoted was last active here on October 3rd, 2018.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Will. :wave:
FYI, the member you quoted was last active here on October 3rd, 2018.

Peter
No I did not notice that, Thanks for pointing that out.

Back