Explorer delays | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer delays

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They need to replace the battery. It probably sat for a bit and degraded it

Was the battery ever charged to full capacity after it initially "died"?

Peter

In reference to my battery diving, Ford service said they found strong power drains intermittently while engine is off so they are keeping it in the shop for a few days. The service guy did say that it could be from: if you set up your vehicle to send updates to the App on your phone, it will intermittently generate a lot of power looking for your phone. If it can’t find your phone it keeps doing this which may cause a battery drain. My reply was “isn’t designed to do this with out killing the battery? I don't think they really know what is causing the battery to die.

So I finally received my 2020 Explorer ST. Ordered March 16th, built July 18th & delivered October 9th. I am now having a problem with the battery dying. It first died overnight the first day. I brought it back to Ford but they could not find anything wrong with the battery. I asked them to check for system updates & they found 4 which the updated. I drove the vehicle on small outings for the next few days with no problems. Yesterday I just used it to go to the store & it sat in the garage all night. This morning the battery is dead again. Bringing it back to Ford again tomorrow. Does anyone have any advice with this problem?

View attachment 174678

There were some rumors about wiring harness issues and mis-assembly. This definitely sounds like a short somewhere that is draining the battery so quickly. You should push them hard to fix it!

I purchased my 2020 ST on Oct 20. Took it to the dealer on Oct 25 to have winter tires put on stock rims. The vehicle never made it home from the shop since it died on the test drive, and the shop foreman could not get it going. I had no idea before today that these vehicles have had this troubled start, but much more informed now that I have read this thread.

I hope they can fix these glitches since I am horribly in lust with this vehicle.

So after 3 days in the shop my problem has been diagnosed as a loose ground wire. The dealer is keeping it an extra day to do some more road testing. Fingers crossed that is the first and last glitch.

I wonder if that may be related to dead battery issue discussed above?

So after 3 days in the shop my problem has been diagnosed as a loose ground wire. The dealer is keeping it an extra day to do some more road testing. Fingers crossed that is the first and last glitch.

I wonder if that may be related to dead battery issue discussed above?
Where did they find the loose ground wire?

Ordered 2020 Limited March 15th; blend date 0f 06/26; "shop.ford" site reported in production 07/10; finally October 4th showed "in transit" with ETA of 10/29. With 11 days to go vehicle was back showing "in production" again with no delivery date. Dealer cannot locate it as well. Apparently it is one if the vehicles shipped back to Detroit. Real mess! Anyone else experience same problem?

I just hope the moonroof doesn't make the same cracking noise in the winter that my F-150 made. You'd swear the glass was going to crack.
Some high quality silicone grease specially formulated for these seals, I used the Honda variety on my F150 which started with the silly noises that sounded like the jack was loose behind the rear passenger seat. Lo and behold...the dang sunroof seal was the culprit. After that application with a credit card to get the gel in between the body and the seal....BLAMO!...no more squeeks or rattles. Actually amazing difference in the quietness. Just an FYI for anyone who has noises from the pano roofs, use the thin smear of the special grease and no further issues.

Maguires M40 silicone dry is also good for sunroof seal conditioning.

Sounds like a similar issue on 2017-2018 Fusion Sports... The APIM or ACM had to be updated to prevent the CD from constantly trying to eject. So there's something drawing amperage from the 2020 Explorer battery when it is "off". Same reason why local Ford dealers all kept jump starters at the desk of every salesperson when I went to get my Fusion Sport .... they said every Fusion had a dead battery in the lot. My 2018 Explorer has a Group 65 and no electronics, so the battery SOC is always high (FORScan always shows 99% or so). My Fusion Sport even with the updated firmware, rarely reports over 85% SOC after driving for long periods of time.

What size battery is used on the 2020 Explorers?

:) Picked mine up yesterday finally. Came off the transport the day before. Line date was 14 Nov, 2019. The Chi town plant must have one hell of a holding area. Not sure what the radius is for direct truck transport vs tt/rail/tt. I know that at the Corvette assembly plant in Bowling Green, KY, it is 1k for tt to a dealer. Sure wish FOMOCO would do plant tours as GM does with the Corvette. GM also allows the car to be picked up there. It is an $800 option that includes a guided tour of the assembly plant. That would be a must do imho.:chug:

Mine came out of the S Chicago assembly facility.

They all leave from Chicago but Ford had a bunch of quality issues so they were shipped to Flat Rock MI and reworked before shipping to customers. It was a real sh*t show.

It must have been one that was being worked on at Flat Rock, MI.
I believe that the vehicles were being shipped directly to the dealers by September.

Peter

It must have been one that was being worked on at Flat Rock, MI.
I believe that the vehicles were being shipped directly to the dealers by September.

Peter

Peter

I talked to some people that worked at Ford during Thanksgiving and they said the Explorers were still at Flat Rock being worked on during around the same time a batch of new GT500s were held for engine oil issues (wrong oil used or something like that).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peter
My Aviator was built 12-04-2019 and it went to QC, then sat in the parking lot for a couple of weeks before they shipped it to the dealer.

Back