• Register Today It's free!

Explorer growl and vibration.

ahargrove

Reaction score
City, State
Shepherdsville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT
Hello all. I have joined your forum with help on finding a solution to a recent issue with my 2003 explorer xlt, 4.0 awd. I have owned the vehicle for close to 3 years now, purchased it with 69k miles and it now has 106k miles.
About 3 months ago I started to notice a noise coming from the rearend while backing up our driveway and turning. A whine of sorts. Since I don't back up my driveway often, I basically forgot about it till I noticed it starting to make the same noise while driving at low speeds while turning (either direction).
The noise progressively got louder along with the addition of a vibration. The issue seemed to be coming from the differential area so I went to google to see what I could find. That's actually how I found this website. I read that there is a common problem with the rearend for this model explorer which involved a $800-$1500 price tag. I also read online that some issues go away with the simple change of the fluid and the addition of friction modifier so I did so with no results. As weeks pass, the sound gets louder with more vibration and with almost every turn. Oh, one more thing about earlier on was that I noticed the issue went away if I drove it 20+ miles almost like it heated up and went away but as soon as it sat for a short while, the problem reoccurred.
I bit the bullet and put it in the shop with a local reputable auto mechanic. He drove it and said that he wasn't confident it was the common rearend problem with these explorers. He dug into the project to find that the driver's side rear hub bearing had some play so changed it. I had him change the drive axle seals too since I noticed they were leaking. He said everything else checked out fine and that our explorer was in great mechanical condition. He put it all back together but the problem was still there so one more day to try to figure it out. He consulted with a friend that works with a local Ford dealership and both are stumped as to what the problem could be which brings me to your site.
Given the information I have supplied, does anyone know what could be going on with my explorer.
One thing that I did find while searching the internet tonight was one mention of the transfer case. Is it possible that this could be the issue?
Please help!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the stock 2002-2005 section. There is a TSB on the rear end noise. The technician corner section of this site has sticky threads with more information.

Ahargrove, I''m basically having the same problems. I am just changing threads because I thought the problem was the parking brake pads that I had just changed. Here is my other thread with some of my thoughts and others: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237727&highlight=parking+brake+pads&page=2

Now that I have taken the parking brakes out of the equation, I am thinking just like you are - that it is the read differential. I had just changed the rear end synthetic oil before the sound started. I did one thing that I did not think would cause the problem, but maybe it has. I added a small bottle (about hald of it or 4 oz) of "AT-205 ReSeal" to the fluid while I was at it to make sure the seals didn't start leaking since my car is 13 years old. It claims to be completely compatible with transmissions, differentials and power steering fluid and will condition your seals. It is not a petroleum based conditioner like some of the others. Enough on that. I just thought I would mention it, but don't really think it is the problem - however, could it?

The old diff oil was dirty but not leaking. I also flushed the transfer cases and the transmission. I figured the car has worked great for years and I should make sure the fluids were fresh. I did not adjust anything in the differential while i was in there, but just cleaned out some gook.

The rubbing noise happens when i am in forward or reverse at slow speeds while turning left or right. It is plenty loud for all standing nearby to hear (and stare).

Any suggestions would be very helpful!!!!

Thanks,
Don C.

Back