Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Explorer misfire with CEL.on

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by medicfl1, August 22, 2015.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. medicfl1

medicfl1 New Member

City, State:
    Florida
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1998 ford explorer sport
    Stock 1998 Explorer 2 door support; check engine light came and stated on. Went to two shops to read but all were pending codes not explaining this horrible misfire.
    Starts & runs w/a bit of a shake, while driving there is a "jerking" hesitation throughout the acceleration range.
    :usa: No shop had an answer for me. Several months earlier I had replaced the coil,DPFE (1vac line wad burnt through) plugs and wires.
    Since this was an X at the eighth vin digit, I had to replace the wires again as this sohv (pushrod) uses shorter boots at the plugs.
    Frustrated & finally getting an obdII to read cylinders 3 & 6 missing. I did for go the fuel &cyc compassion pressure checks. (Fuel filter less than a year old).
    I bought Autolite Platinum plugs for the 3rd time, but this time I GAPPED THEM TO .054 not the mechanic I had previously had doing the work.
    This was the fix. Both plugs were wildly out of gap spec w/ oil and glazed fire wires(you what I mean).
    My misfire was due to my plugs not being gapped correctly after I had my change them previously.
    W/ 148k on her I'm having to replace plastic/rubber vacuum lines now to as they get older.
    Those lines can lead to po171 & po174 lean codes. Remember to clean the mass airflow sensor when you do your air filter.

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.