Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Explorer Navigation Tracking Problem

Discussion in '2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology' started by rx7rules, September 3, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    My dealer reset the TPMS system but I believe there is a post here somewhere that says you can do it yourself. I'll keep looking for it.
    Although mine isn't an Explorer, this may give you an idea of what the rims look like. They were $88 each through the dealer.
    I checked out the navigation and it is right on target. No issues after the wheel change.

Peter

Attached Files:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Wisconsin
    16 Edge
    Pr-16 Exp Sport
    Do you have the full part numbers for the wheel related parts?

4. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Wheels - DG1Z*1015*A
    Cover - F87Z*1130*GB
    TPMS Sensor - TPMS*12* Kit
    AWSP wheel nut - DG1Z*1012*

Peter

5. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Wisconsin
    16 Edge
    Pr-16 Exp Sport
    Tasca lists the prices as:

You should sell them to people in the US

6. WiEx

WiEx Active Member

City, State:
    Wisconsin
    2013 Sport
    I don't know whether this issue is common on the 2015 model, but it is certainly common on the 2013 and known to Ford. The Nav system receives inputs from the satellites and from movement of the vehicle. Disconnecting the battery forces the system to recalibrate the relationship between revolutions of the tire and distance traveled. It took one year for my dealer to resolve this issue, but disconnecting the battery has worked every time.

7. Sgt1411

Sgt1411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    VanBC/GoodyearAZ
    2017 Explorer SPORT
    If your TPMS valves are the ones from Costco not OEM ones perhaps they are not compatible?

When I shopped for my TPMS valves I had to provide my VIN as there was two different OEM versions with two different frequencies.

I had Costco install my OEM ones in the steel wheels and never had any issues.

8. maj24

maj24 New Member

2015 Ford Explorer Sport
    Thanks for the replies. My Battery is currently disconnected for the night...I really hope it works. This is poor design and you should be able to force a recalibrate without disconnecting the battery....

I just hope my remote start doesn't have to be reprogrammed. I have the iPhone APP and it's awesome!

MY TPMS sensors are not from Costco. I ordered OEM ones with my rims through PMC. I am hoping they just have to be relearned. I hope Costco will do this for me otherwise it's probably worth money to buy the trigger/training tool rather than pay the same amount to have it done each time.

9. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Wisconsin
    16 Edge
    Pr-16 Exp Sport
    I read somewhere (can't find it now) that the TPMS remembers up to 8 sensors. On my Taurus I have dedicated winter and summer wheels and do not have to relearn them each time I swap them.

10. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    To re-set TPMS see my post 222 in;
    http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372353&highlight=program+tpms

Peter

11. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Lexus will hold 9 frequencies because Toyota/Lexus have a TPMS in the spare. The Explorer will only accommodate 4.

Peter

12. WiEx

WiEx Active Member

City, State:
    Wisconsin
    2013 Sport
    In theory, according to the Ford engineer who worked with my dealer, the Nav will recalibrate automatically after a certain number of miles (I think that they said 200). There was also a technique that involved driving at a specified speed for a certain distance. In practice, mine did not recalibrate over the entire 2012-2013 winter with thousands of miles. Disconnecting the battery solved the problem in minutes last fall.

My dealer resets the TPMS at no additional charge while rotating the winter wheels on and off the vehicle.

13. maj24

maj24 New Member

2015 Ford Explorer Sport
    Disconnecting the negative from the battery solved my nav issue.

Prior to getting my Explorer, I had to borrow a 2014 F-150 from the dealer and the NAV on it was really messed up. It showed me driving across the ottawa river while on the queensway towards kanata we're talking several KM/miles off. So perhaps there were some improvements in this area as with the explorer, I would drift off and come back but it was frequent and unusable. I guess disconnecting the negative will become a seasonal thing.

14. TRK1

TRK1 New Member

City, State:
    MN
    2012 Explorer Limited
    I wanted to provide an update to my situation in case it might help others with the same navigation issues. It seems (thus far) that my navigation tracking issues have been finally resolved after bringing my vehicle in to the dealer for the fourth time. The issue was that the dealer was using the wrong programming for my vehicles build date. The dealer said they were using the MFT programming that was called for in their service manual but my vehicle's build date occurred in a transition period and so needed the programming for a different build date. Once they figured that out, all seems to be working well so far.

The other issue I had was with the blinker/seat belt chime sounding almost broken or garbled. They replaced the whole instrument cluster and that fixed that issue (fifth visit to dealer). I'm hoping not to visit the dealer for some time now.

15. Raafter68

Raafter68 New Member

2014 Explorer Sport
    So here we are, winter tires back on - GPS tracking issue has returne.

I can't say I've been looking forward to winter. But I must admit I was curious to see what would happen with our GPS tracking issue when the snows went back on.

During the time the summer tires have been on our GPS has performed FLAWLESSLY!!! Not even a single issue.

The winter tires went on last Friday & by Monday the GPS was tracking off route about a 100 yards.

There is nothing anyone can tell me that will convince me this isn't an issue with the winter tires. I've already advised the dealership & the vehicle is going in on the 15th.

Last edited: December 4, 2014
  16. Raafter68

Raafter68 New Member

2014 Explorer Sport
    Has any of this corresponded with the removal & changing of winter & summer tires?

Just curious...

17. maj24

maj24 New Member

2015 Ford Explorer Sport
    Hi Raafter68,

My Nav issue was 100% a result of changing tires. I disconnected my battery (negative) over night and the issue was resolved after I reconnected.

The Nav uses tire rotation to help track and if you change tire size you will see the issue. I went from 20 inch to 18 inch on my 2015 sport.

It's ridiculous there isn't a user setting that informs the NAV to relearn your tire rotation instead of forcing it by removing power to the vehicle.

18. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    I changed Winter and OEM wheels on my 2011 Ltd several times and never had an problem with the navigation. It was always accurate. The diameter difference was -1.66% between the 20" and 17" wheels. The difference between my MKT Winter and OEM wheels is only 0.23% and again it has not affected the navigation.

Peter

19. Raafter68

Raafter68 New Member

2014 Explorer Sport
    Our problems went away when we switched out the winter to summer tired. We put the winter tires back on & boom, tracking issue is back.

20. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Wisconsin
    16 Edge
    Pr-16 Exp Sport
    Things that come to mind would be are they different size and do they have trained TPMS sensors in them?

21. jmr061

jmr061 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Wisconsin
    16 Edge
    Pr-16 Exp Sport
    Info from service manual:

GPS Data - GPSM - Used for vehicle positioning, heading and direction to the APIM for navigation.

Navigation rolling wheel count and direction - ABS module - This message provides for more accurate tracking of the vehicle position when the GPS signal is temporarily unavailable for gear lever position for vehicle direction data for navigation.

I went through the diagnostics section and it it would have the dealer check for DTCs, check network communications etc, and if none of that is comes up as a problem then disconnect the battery for 5 mins.