Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Explorer NBX

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by Explorer46L, October 7, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Explorer46L

Explorer46L Active Member

City, State:
      Boston
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2002 Explorer "XP8"
      Has anyone seen the new Explorer NBX? It is the "offroad" package that Ford now makes. Included were front and rear skid plates, some different wheels, a large roof rack, and an "offroad tuned" suspension(yet it is still IRS). I mean really, what are they thinking? I know that my 2002 is terrible off-road. Frankly it isn't even good in really bumpy parking lots, that isn't why I bought it. But why are they pretending that they made this real utility vehicle? Seems like a waste to me. Anyone have any thoughts?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 410Fortune

410Fortune ELITE BRONCO2ERER Staff Member Moderator

City, State:
      7B Panhandle
      B2 Mod
      Here are my thoughts.

How many Explorer's, Toyota's. whatever do you see every single day with all the off road bolt on accessories they make? Push bars, tail light guards, BFG KO tires, big round lights up front, lund visors, ect.....

People like the way an SUV LOOKS with all that junk on it, heck I bet 1/2 of the PIAA lights that get sold dont ever even get turned on, they just look pretty on the front of that $100K Danali sitting on that $1200 push bar with "brush" guards. What does that push bar push anyways? Maybe a shopping cart here and there, but it doesnt really matter because people are buying them up left and right.

It;s like asking why Jeep is making that new Liberty with the fancy shamncy light bar thingy on the roof from the factory. The new Liberty's got a suspension drop because their rollover rating came back WORST ever, yt of course there will always be people who want to spend the extra $8K it takes to have the "COOL" liberty with all the off road junk, so that when they get to the camp ground that once a year they may flick on those lights to help setup the tent at night, then it's justified..

So Ford is smart, is it an off road SUV built like the Rubicon with the sole purpose of actually going off road? No, obviously, I mean if you ask us early generation guys that thing would be better off in the bottom of a pool then it would be on a dirt service road with it's front and rear minivan suspension, however Ford is smart for tapping into their "portion" of the aftermarket accessory market by offering an "off road" package on the new Ex. People will either pay for the larger nobby tires, roof lights, push bars, etc now from the factory or they will add them later, if you were Ford you would rather they buy it from you.....

4. blichy

blichy Active Member

City, State:
      Naperville, IL
      '13 Explorer Sport
      I agree with 410--if Ford can take some of the aftermarket money at the factory, might as well do it. That said, I do like the look of the 17" wheels that come on the NBX.

5. xlt-sport

xlt-sport Active Member

City, State:
      Hurricane, WV
      '02 xlt 4x4
      nbx

i think overall ford should get a "B" for effort.

the tow hooks and skid plates are sweet. they should however be standard equipment.

i also like the safari rack. except the "explorer" logo air deflector. personal opinion

the fender fares are painted in a "flat finish". that seems strange to me.

ford has wised up on the 17" wheels, they are also now standard ['03] on eddie bauer, limited, nbx.

has anyone seen a nbx expedition yet?

peter