• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Rat Rod any one?

TheBurningDonut

Reaction score
City, State
Albany Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I have been looking REALLY hard and I cant find ANY Ford Explorers made into Rat rods.

Now I'm not looking to get into a discussion about the "real Meaning" of what a Rat Rod is , but I have seen some really cool ones made out of everything from 80's VW Vans to Rangers and I've been looking for a while

030.jpg

High-Speed-Molester-Van-6-1.jpg

and the closest thing Ive ever found is a Ranger Rat
Gen_1_Primer_B-1.jpg

I have been thinking about Ratting out my 1994 XLT but to find ANYTHING about it is hard.

I posted it in this forum because many Rat Rods are lowered and count as Street Trucks.

So if you have any pics of a ratted out ford explorer (Or simply suggestions) I would like to see 'em!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my explorer is lifted but was just thinking bout this earlier...seen a bII in minitruckin but no explorer rat rods

I have been looking REALLY hard and I cant find ANY Ford Explorers made into Rat rods.

Now I'm not looking to get into a discussion about the "real Meaning" of what a Rat Rod is , but I have seen some really cool ones made out of everything from 80's VW Vans to Rangers and I've been looking for a while. I have been thinking about Ratting out my 1994 XLT but to find ANYTHING about it is hard. I posted it in this forum because many Rat Rods are lowered and count as Street Trucks.

So if you have any pics of a ratted out ford explorer (Or simply suggestions) I would like to see 'em!

Pretty easy to do, IMO.

Lower it (choose whether you want a static drop or bag it), get the wheel/tire combo you want, chop it (if you want) and paint it.

This is my 1994 as it sits right now

01550.jpg

Here is is after some simple Photoshping to be more Rat roddish!

Protip: I love Moon rims!

015ratrod50.jpg

I am a cartoonist forgive the nontraditional graphics!

Please if your going Rat, then shiny black is out. Gotta be Flat Black or Satin.
Since your good with a brush, do some spider webbs in the corner of the windows and plenty of Old School pin stripping.

http://www.carlisleevents.com/ce/ga...p?imgdir=20090807_All_Truck_Nationals_General

Here are two classic Rat Rods. One in upper right and one near center.
Both traditional Flat black.

IMG_5742-1.jpg

And here is my semi Rat look that I used to have. Tried to find a pic when I even had a spider webb on the corner of fender, but did not locate.

Planning on going back to black.

Sine your a cartoonist, you should get to know the late Big daddy Ed Roth, the best Hot rod/Rat rod cartoonist of all times. When I was a lot younger I used to follow a lot of his builds and admire his art work.
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source...8zgTHmdCxCgAAAKoEBU_Q6PGA&fp=c14410bd43b4a5fe

Imho

:rant::rant::rant:Rat rod is 1960's and back. Been in dp90 primer on my 55 merc for over 20 years b-4 "rat rods" became kool.Please do not take any offense to my opinion after all it is just and only my opinion (unless others agree). If you want to scuff and shoot flat or satin that is kool it's just that this rat rod thing once again my opinion has gotten out of hand.People are buying fancy hot rods and paying body shops to try duplicate mother nature's patina (rust,faded paint and such)and calling it a rat rod. Please don't get me wrong my favorite color is flat or satin black. I don't call my wrecks rat rods cause I painted them that color I just happen to hate waxing cause I am lazy.
Once again this only my opinion and I am not meaning any offense. Sorry for my rant .:rant:

Ya I agree about the 60s and earlier. Having been around in the 50s and seeing first hand the real what you call Hot Rods and then driving and building them in the 60s like my friends 29 model A pick-up that we threw a Chevy V8 along with my own 55 Chevy that was just gray primer that I put a 283 v8 bored .030.
Later many many coats of Royal Blue lacquer that was built for the DC armory car shows.
But I say, if that's what they want to do now that's fine. The more the change the more they stay the same.
The two cars that I posted were the kinds that I grew up with. Like to have a dollar for every 50 Ford or 55-57 Chevy that I saw that never had any other color then gray or flat black.

I heard you there. You got me by a couple tears but everyone tells me I should have grown up during that era.I agree if that's what they want to do all the power to them just ease off the rat rod stuff. Slam it, moon it, satin it,
drive it and enjoy it!:thumbsup:

Ya I agree about the 60s and earlier. Having been around in the 50s and seeing first hand the real what you call Hot Rods and then driving and building them in the early 60s like my friends 29 model A pick-up that we threw a Chevy V8 along with my own 55 Chevy that was just gray primer that I put a 283 v8 bored .030. A lot of us Old School guys used just primer because that's all we could afford at the time.
Later many many coats of Royal Blue lacquer that was built for the DC armory car shows.
But I say, if that's what they want to do now that's fine. The more the change the more they stay the same.
The two cars that I posted were the kinds that I grew up with. Like to have a dollar for every 50 Ford or 55-57 Chevy that I saw that never had any other color then gray or flat black.
Over the years I have posted many old hot rods on this site that I built or drove back in the 60 and even up to the early 70s.

PICT4311.jpg

Here is what some may call a Rat Rod style car I built in the 60s. Note the flat primer and using parts from anything we could find. Like that army canteen turned upside down for a water catch ha ha and water pipe fittings for a breather on the Moon gas tank.
Check out the eliptical spring straight axle that I tore out of an old Ford and stuck under it.
You might say that this was my first SAS ha ha.
That car back then eventually went low tens running right on the national record.
The window and even windshield were plexiglass, did not have lexan back then.
Check out engine location, right next to my leg Ouch.
But that's how the term Rat Rod developed by us guys finding anything and everything to get it built. The aftermarket stuff that is here today was in it's infancy back then. you wanted it you built it.
And I know many guys on this site have noticed this to this day on my build how I use parts just laying around the house ha ha.

Hey, maybe they should call this new class of Rat Rods..Pseudo Rat Rods LOL

I'll have to take a picture of my sh$t box 55 and post it
I didn't see the picture and the rest of your post when I replied so sorry but straight axle set back engine ooooh gasser I love it !!
That was back when drag racing was drag racing heads up no delay boxes pure sick horsepower
No offense Rick still love your Dart

Back