Explorer ring & pinion question. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer ring & pinion question.

t.r.c

Reaction score
Hello, i've been doing some research and cant find the answers i'm looking for. I have a 98 explorer sport, and i found a great deal on some 4.10 gears out of a 2001 ranger, but i know the ranger 8.8's are only 28 spline, so my question is, will they work in my explorer? Thanks for any help, and a speedy response would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you don't get an answer, pull an axle and count the number of splines, then you are sure.

It wont work - the axle shafts wont slide into the carrier and w/o the axle shafts, your vehicle isn't going anywhere. You can swap the entire axle but I think that requires some fabrication because of the difference in spring location (mounting width and SOA vs SUA).

Why can't he just swap the ring and pinion onto the carrier in the axel in his truck?

I can't think of a reason.

For that matter, he could swap everything except the housing.

Youre correct - you can use the ring and pinion. I was talking about the carrier - which the original poster didn't even mention - doh!

Back