Explorer shakes at 60mph | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer shakes at 60mph

If you read my original thread, I just put new tires on the truck, balanced and alignment. Still Shakes. If you could find an honest Ford mechanic, away from the dealership, you might find out. I have no trust in the word of the dealership or their mechanics on duty ever since they told me that burning a quart of oil every 700 miles was NORMAL! Anyway, the shake isn't coming from the tires but I'm sure the shaking will ruin my tires long before their time. Firestone took the blame for those tires blowing out but now I'm wondering if this shaking problem isn't the root cause of all those accidents.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I doubt it....

My Explorer didnt shake at all in the 3 years I have owned it until recently, when I did a tire rotation......

Most shaking is either tire or suspension wear related...

The trick is finding WHAT the problem is, since many issues show up as shaking.......

Grr.

Re: Has any body asked Ford?

Originally posted by #1Aggie
Since this seems to be a common problem, has anybody either had Ford attempt to stop it or have asked Ford about the problem?

Ford has a few TSBs out on this problem for the 91-94 Explorers, but they basically say replace the exhaust system and the engine mounts. (I have PDF copies of the TSB.. hollar at me if you want to read them.) Don't ask me how the exhaust has much to do with the shakes. Personally, I would replace my engine mounts, but I don't really have a way to lift the engine up a few inches. Maybe when I have an engine lift rented for the engine swap in my Mustang I will be able to mess with it.

My front two tires are cupped, the rear two tires are worn flat and even. It doesn't matter which way I rotate the tires, it always shakes the same with any combination. This leads me to believe it's not really my tires that are the problem. I think something's worn in the front suspension of my truck, but at the moment I don't have too much $$ to spare for a shop to check over everything.

Re: Re: Has any body asked Ford?

Originally posted by srvblues00

Ford has a few TSBs out on this problem for the 91-94 Explorers, but they basically say replace the exhaust system and the engine mounts. (I have PDF copies of the TSB.. hollar at me if you want to read them.) Don't ask me how the exhaust has much to do with the shakes.

Yes, please send me the TSB to kmcgovern@houston.rr.com.

Is there a website where you can see all of the Ford TSB?

Exhaust and shake??????

My '94 has this problem also. I had General Tiger Paw Tires on it, and never had a problem. Then I purchase as set of BFGoodrich Advantage GT tires and it started theshakes. Not sure if it is the tires or the store who mounted them. The Generals were mounted by a company in a another town, so it will be hard for me tol tell if it is the mounting job or the tires.

check your leaf sprind spaces i noticed mine is comeing out a little and i dont have a tall enough jack to push them back in that could be a problem my dad told me if the steering wheel shakes its the front end of the whole car shakes its the back end maybe that will help

jason

Axle pivot bushings seem to help alot of people.

mine did the same thing... i replaced ujoints and doesnt do it anymore

Mine does it too but only in Overdrive!! If I'm just in drive no shaking. It starts at around 100 km and stops at about 110 km.

Carson :ca:

how fast is that in mph

jason

It's around 60ish.

Carson :ca:

problem solved

mine really shaked hard at 65mph. the vibrations of the steering wheel even made my hands go numb after awhile. i was certain it was something up in the front wheels and i replaced a lot of parts needlessly, but it ended up being a badly worn u-joint on the driveshaft. i replaced it and now she rides real smooth again. if you have shakes, definitely get on your back and check out your u-joints. the drive shaft is heavy and if it is loose because of worn bearings, it will certainly vibrate your whole truck and make a lot of noise.

I had the shake at 65mph too. Have 6K on tires. Had the wheels balanced and no improvement.

Took it by to the shop and had them try it again.

This time the manager was involved. Turns out the tires balanced well but were out of round. Two tires were rotated on the rims to correct the problem and two tires were replaced (under warranty). The X runs much better, althought not perfect.

I have ruled out the ujoints because it shakes all the time around 65... in gear, in neutral, coasting in gear, etc.. can ujoints cause problems even in neutral?

When checking the ujoints, what is considered too much play? How much rotational movement is normal? Right now it moves just a little bit if I used my hands to try to move it while it's in gear. Should there be absolutely no play at all?

It should be tight at the joints. some times there can be play in the tranny or in the differential. Try turning the shaft and see if there is play at the joints. There should be no play in the joints. U joints are cheap and they are fairly easy to replace as a rule.

Note: Even if the trannny is in nuetral the drive shaft is still turning if the truck is moving. In nuetral it just isn't engaged to the engine.

we have 2 generations [now] of explorers discussing the same thing [sort of].

i think this should be broken down by generation of explorer.

i can speak to some of the problem for 2ND GENERATION ones.

i had a '00 4 door 4x4 sport package [16" wheels].
i had a terrible vibration. FORD COULD NOT FIX THIS AND SAID IT WAS WITHIN ACCEPTABLE STANDARDS!

first they tried drive shafts.ford could not provide BALANCED drive shafts after 4 attempts. so the dealer had them made. these new "balanced"drive shafts did NOT help.

next was a new transfer case. this did NOT help.

next was a new front differential. this did NOT help.

in between a few of these procedures 2 ford engineers came in and drove my truck. they said WHAT VIBRATION? they all drive like this.

the dealer admitted i had a problem, but ford said i didn't.

readings were taken, etc, these people CAN NOT fix or WILL NOT fix this [ford].

i spent $600.00 on new michelin tires hoping this might help. NOT!

in owning my '00 [which i bought used with 14k on it] for 3.5 months the dealer had it 2 months of that time!

the way i fixed it was to trade the "lemon" in on a new '02 explorer. i know not everyone can do that.

i'm sorry i don't think there is a fix for these! [2nd generation] the problem seems to be worse on models with 16" wheels and tires.

FORD KNOWS SOMETHING, BUT THEY AREN"T SAYING!!

peter

Re: problem solved

Did you change your own U joints?? How hard was it??

I have a 94..........

Originally posted by Jim Galloway
mine really shaked hard at 65mph. the vibrations of the steering wheel even made my hands go numb after awhile. i was certain it was something up in the front wheels and i replaced a lot of parts needlessly, but it ended up being a badly worn u-joint on the driveshaft. i replaced it and now she rides real smooth again. if you have shakes, definitely get on your back and check out your u-joints. the drive shaft is heavy and if it is loose because of worn bearings, it will certainly vibrate your whole truck and make a lot of noise.

The shake is a very common problem with early Explorer's . I did everything mentioned here, but finally cured it, (at least 90% ) with new tires. I had Firestone, then Goodyear, and two years ago I put on Michelins, and was shocked when I drove out and the shake was gone!
Tires, tires, tires.

Rick

i had the blurry mirror problem a while ago too... then i sold my subs other than that i have noticed a small shake (even on my bone stock 92xlt) at speeds over 65mph

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

explorer ride.

seems to be that the 60+ mph shake and the slight pull to the right is just the nature or Explorer's (or most)
i own a 92,, always has pulled to the right,, i have done alot of things and changed alot of parts that have helped it,, but not completly gotten rid of it, and also the 60+mph shake same thing,, shakes about 60-65, then at higher speeds goes away,, i have changed alot of things there too,, shocks made a difference, balancing, alightnemtn ect.. ect.. ect...
still shakes, im going to be getting brand new firestones soon, i got a brand new spare 235 from the recal, and am going to buy 3 more, as i have owned firestone tires in the past and have found them to prove very good performance, and wear.

Back