1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Explorer SiriusXM Stuck "Acquiring Signal" (Intermittent) 2018 Models

Discussion in '2017+ Sync 3 / In Vehicle Technology' started by Michael W, March 16, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. sfagnetwoodland

sfagnetwoodland New Member

City, State:
      California
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2018 Ford Explorer Sport
      Okay - dealer had vehicle for two days and test drove to recreate issue. As expected, the satellite radio performed perfectly - no issues what so ever. I give up - guess I will just alternate between BT streaming when it does it again and just live with it.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      If more and more 2018 owners encounter this problem and the cause can be pinpointed, then Ford may come out with a TSB to correct it. That is usually what happens. Just make sure that the dealer documents it when you bring the vehicle in so there is a record.

Peter

4. Robert Mueller

Robert Mueller New Member

City, State:
      NY
      2018 Ford Explorer Sport
      Yes. I spoke too soon. Was solid with reception for quite awhile. Now is solid about 80% of the time then of course "Satellite Acquiring Signal." Hope it is figured out soon.

5. Robert Mueller

City, State:
      NY
      2018 Ford Explorer Sport
      Called Ford. They had my report on file, and said it was escalated to the engineering staff. He claimed that they usually have resolution within a couple of weeks, but could be longer. Fingers crossed.

6. POLARIS PRO

POLARIS PRO New Member

2018 Ford Explorer Sport
      Same issue on our 2018 Ford Explorer Sport. Just started doing this after 3 months of no problems. Figured this would happen right before our road trip. Never had issues on our 2015 Sport.

7. Ashley Renninger

Ashley Renninger New Member

City, State:
      sinking spring, pa
      2018 ford explorer xlt
      Just bought my 2018 ford explorer XLT a week ago, sirius XM worked for less then 1 day! Took it to the dealer today & they told me it just needed to be updated, worked for maybe 3 minutes after the update then went back to "acquiring signal" now they said theyll look more into it and call me next week. from this forum doesnt seam like it will be fixed though. pretty mad i just bought it and something is already wrong with it that cant be fixed :angryfire:

8. POLARIS PRO

POLARIS PRO New Member

2018 Ford Explorer Sport
      I’m guessing there are not any Ford Reps on here? I thought they previously monitored this. Sounds like a lot of people are having the same issue. I’m going to call the dealer when we get back from our FM listening road trip.

9. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      The Ford reps left a few years ago although you can still contact them through the contact details they left on their posts here. It is possible that this issue with the 2018 models may be due to the fact that on 2018 models they re-designed the antenna and also added a cellular antenna for Sync Connect (AKA Telematics Control Unit or TCU). Sirius / XM no signal
      If you are having a similar issue you should post it in the 2011 - 2016 MFT / IVT sub forum.

Peter

10. clynn1220

clynn1220 New Member

2018 Ford Explorer XLT
      Just to update on where I'm at - my wife and I just had a road trip from Milwaukee to Detroit, and in frustration she sent around 4 refresh requests to Sirius successively to see if there was any way we could get the radio to respond. Miraculously, I had Sirius work with little/no interruption for the 6+ hours there, the entire time we were in Detroit, and the 6+ hours back. I was optimistic that maybe things were looking good, until I did my regular commute this morning and had the "Satellite Acquiring Signal" manifest itself again, however it was only for maybe 5-10 minutes of a 70 minute commute.

I definitely don't believe the issue is fixed, but at least I've had a large reduction in the amount of time I'm seeing the "S.A.S." message.

11. David Zimbrich

David Zimbrich Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Plainfield, IL
      2018 Explorer Limited
      All:
      I have been a Sirius subscriber since the "Sirius only" days (customer for over 11 years) through various Sirius "after-market" hardware models and also on the stock radio on my 2010 Ford Escape, and now on my 2018 Ford Explorer XLT. I have seen many instances of "Updating" occur over the years and this is perfectly normal to see, usually when SiriusXM is adding (or more likely, removing) channels to their lineup. This channel lineup is stored locally on your receiver as well as firmware updates which are occasionally pushed out to the units.

But, I too have been getting the annoying "Satellite Acquiring Signal" for several weeks now. I had absolutely no issues for the first three (3) months with SiriusXM. I even double-checked my account and it is up-to-date on the subscription. It might be completely coincidental, but the issues seem to have started around the same time I started using Android Auto on a regular basis. I am not sure if the two are related but it seems like there could be a connection (no pun intended). I also have the SiriusXM app installed on my Samsung S9+ which can be accessed by Android Auto and played on the car touchscreen and audio system. I really do not what to burn through my data plan on my phone when I am already paying for SiriusXM service in the first place. But this is a good backup plan if you really are in a "no signal" location (e.g. waiting under a highway overpass for an annoyingly long light to turn green, parking garage, etc.).

One thing that I noticed on my 2010 Escape (which also did this on quite a few occasions) was that if it happened, I could pull over (if it was convenient), turn OFF the Escape and open the door (override delayed sound system feature), close the door and restart the engine, this would immediately fix the issue and miraculously I had "signal" again. It almost seems like rebooting the audio system software fixes the issue (which indicates to me it is a software issue, doh!). So if this is the case, I can see how replacing the antennae would not fix the issue. My guess is that it is either a bug in the system software that Ford is either slow to fix, or choosing to ignore, or a "driver" conflict with the Ford Sync system and the Android Auto system. Ether way, it is still incessantly maddening to me to not be able to listen to CNN or anything else on SiriusXM on my 25 minute commute, let alone on longer drives.

--Dave Z

12. sfagnetwoodland

City, State:
      California
      2018 Ford Explorer Sport
      I received a telephone call from a Ford Customer Service Regional Director who asked that I forward the video I have of the SAS issue. She assured me that she would forward this issue to Ford Engineering. I explained to her that many 2018 Ford Explorer owners are challenged with this issue and directed her to this forum. My signal has been rock solid for the last 4 days after 1 month of the SAS nonsense. Just does not make sense. I will keep you posted as the issue moves through Ford. The Ford Sync conflict mentioned by Dave Z kind of makes sense - very interesting

13. sfagnetwoodland

City, State:
      California
      2018 Ford Explorer Sport
      Maybe we should all email her directly??

14. Robert Mueller

City, State:
      NY
      2018 Ford Explorer Sport
      I have made a few previous posts on my efforts to get the radio issue resolved. My last effort was going to owner.ford.com and going to my vehicle and downloading sync updates to a flash drive (32g or more). Put it in the car and ran for about a half hour, then said update was complete. Radio and all was working well. Next day headed for work, and radio was on but screen was dark, with fuzzy lettering etc. Sync did not function, and only way to switch radio stations was with up and down button When I got out of work and started car, all worked well. It has been working well since the screen issue. (About a week.) I have an appointment with my dealer to review the issue in the service department on the 19th of June.

15. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Did your account actually show an available update? The 2018 models all should have come with the latest V3.0 from the factory.

Peter

16. Robert Mueller

City, State:
      NY
      2018 Ford Explorer Sport
      It said it was up to date, but I thought it was worth the shot. Thought perhaps their might be corrupted files.

17. David Zimbrich

David Zimbrich Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Plainfield, IL
      2018 Explorer Limited
      For what it's worth, I have been trying to update my Synce3 software and when I connect to my home network WiFi, it starts to download a GZ file but then says it could not complete. I will try to get a screen cap or picture and post it here.

18. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Your Sync 3 should have been up to date. As I mentioned in my post above (#64) all 2018 Explorers left the factory with V3.0

Peter

19. Robert Mueller

City, State:
      NY
      2018 Ford Explorer Sport
      Mine was said to be up to date also. But as I mentioned earlier, tried the download to flash drive and that seemed to resolve the issue. When I tried over wifi I also noticed it would fail. Fingers crossed it keeps working.

20. uskern

uskern New Member

City, State:
      Boston, MA
      2018 Explorer Sport
      Hey all,

This is so sad, we're having the exact same issue with our brand new 2018 Ford Explorer Sport:
      • Sirius has been working totally fine for about 4 months...
      • ...until about 4 days ago, when it changed to basically being unusable
      This is what it sounds and looks like:

http://greencard-gewinner.ch/wp-content/uploads/sirius.mov (49 MB)
      http://greencard-gewinner.ch/wp-content/uploads/sirius.m4v (25 MB)
      • audio is fading in and out
      • satellite is trying to acquire a signal intermittently
      (watch the entire 2 minutes above)

We tried a refresh here: SiriusXM

No luck... Not even sure what to ask the dealer to do... I guess replacing the antenna is a good starting point?

Last edited: June 14, 2018
    21. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
      From the sounds of it I don't think it would be the antenna if it worked for 4 months. Not sure if it's just me but I was not able to get your sirius.mov link to work.

Peter

22. uskern

uskern New Member

City, State:
      Boston, MA
      2018 Explorer Sport
      Oh no, I am sorry - does this one work (different format and only about 24 MB)? Also going to update the original post.

http://greencard-gewinner.ch/wp-content/uploads/sirius.m4v

23. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Yes, that link works. Very strange thing with the music cutting in and out. Not really sure what to make of it but can understand how that would be very annoying. Does this only happen when listening to Sirius/XM?

Peter

24. Riverboy

Riverboy New Member

City, State:
      Jacksonville, AL
      2018 Explorer Platinum
      We too have a 2018 Explorer Platinum and 3 hours after taking delivery, the Sirius radio stopped playing with the dreaded "acquiring satellite signal" message. Dealer checked it our today (ownership day 2) and advised that problem is the antenna wiring and connector and the part is on back order with a mid-August delivery date. Tomorrow, I will call Sirius and see if they can put my 6 month trial subscription on hold, while Ford tries to get replacement parts.

25. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
      Please report back after the dealer has completed the work and let us know if it worked. Thanks. Seeing as how the parts are back ordered, perhaps this is the 'true' fix.

Peter

26. vbubba47

vbubba47 New Member

City, State:
      Jax. Fl
      2018 Explorer Sport
      Had the problem so often that my Dealer replaced the ACM (Audio Control Module) under warranty. But, the problem still exists. I'm now fussing with Sirius. After doing some looking I'm thinking it's a Sirius repeater problem in my area. Getting ready for a road trip and will know quickly if the problem is local.

Last edited: July 8, 2018