Explorer SiriusXM Stuck "Acquiring Signal" (Intermittent) 2018 Models | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer SiriusXM Stuck "Acquiring Signal" (Intermittent) 2018 Models

Same problem here on my 2018 Sport. Worked at dealership when leaving the lot. Have only had vehicle a week and stuck looking for signal in clear sky past few days. Will work randomly for short time to listen to a couple songs, but otherwise it's stuck looking for signal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update: Hasn’t significantly happened again for about a week however, did still cut in/out for quick minor interruptions. Took my Sport to the dealer yesterday for this issue and nothing in the ford database about this. They did find my sync was out of date so, they updated this. Although, I don’t think that was the fix it hasn’t had any interruptions since.

If this isn’t fixable by a software update then it’s only a matter of time before Ford gets enough service to take more engineering action.

Will update as info is available.

Dave

Update: Hasn’t significantly happened again for about a week however, did still cut in/out for quick minor interruptions. Took my Sport to the dealer yesterday for this issue and nothing in the ford database about this. They did find my sync was out of date so, they updated this. Although, I don’t that was the fix it hasn’t had any interruptions since.

If this isn’t fixable by a software update then it’s only a matter of time before Ford gets enough service to take more engineering action.

Will update as info is available.

Dave
What version of Sync 3 do have now? The latest version/build number mentioned in this Forum is 18025.

Peter

18025 is the build they just updated to.

We too have a 2018 Explorer Platinum and 3 hours after taking delivery, the Sirius radio stopped playing with the dreaded "acquiring satellite signal" message. Dealer checked it our today (ownership day 2) and advised that problem is the antenna wiring and connector and the part is on back order with a mid-August delivery date. Tomorrow, I will call Sirius and see if they can put my 6 month trial subscription on hold, while Ford tries to get replacement parts.
Don’t know if anything positive has occurred at Sirius or Ford,but my radio has worked for the last ten days.:dunno:

Don’t jinx it - lol....

Mine has also been without issue since Saturday trip to service.

Dave

I have a new 2018 Ex Plat with 200 miles on it. The SiriusXM radio works...sometimes. I am often left without anything as the radio displays "Acquiring Satellite Signal", often after I have been listening for a while.

Has anyone else had a similiar problem?
Have the same problem on my 2018 Limited. Seems to be heat related. When over 80 degrees.

I live in the SE and have seen it all temps during the day/night.... all above 80 so, not sure it is heat but wouldn’t rule anything out.

For the others, my problems have since returned over the last weekend... sigh!

Dave

Don’t know if anything positive has occurred at Sirius or Ford,but my radio has worked for the last ten days.:dunno:
FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH: Dealership replaced the Stanchion - RA (antenna) today, part No. JB5Z-18936-AB. So far the Sirius radio has worked for 1 hour (still working I think). Now to hold my breath to see if the "fix" holds.

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH: Dealership replaced the Stanchion - RA (antenna) today, part No. JB5Z-18936-AB. So far the Sirius radio has worked for 1 hour (still working I think). Now to hold my breath to see if the "fix" holds.
Dealer had mine for two days and was unable to make it fail.

Had same issue when I transferred mine from a standalone radio to my 18 Ex. XM said nothing wrong on their end as did the dealer. Then suddenly 2 weeks later starts working my guess issue with transfer between radios on XM side but they wont admit. Did get extra 2 weeks credit tho

Welcome to the Forum Eugene.:wave:
Be sure to let us know if it goes out again.

Peter

Aug 7 2018 6844 - 2018 Explorer - Sirius Satellite Radio With 4G Telematics Control Unit (TCU) - Loss Of Signal/Acquiring Signal Message Displayed

Some 2018 Explorer vehicles equipped with a 4G TCU modem may exhibit an Acquiring Signal message with a loss of satellite radio reception while driving in unobstructed areas. If normal Workshop Manual (WSM) diagnosis and testing does not indicate a fault and no diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) are stored, do not attempt any repairs at this time. Engineering is investigating, monitor OASIS for updates.

My thought on this...poor antenna design. The only difference in the roof antenna (houses GPS/Sirius) from the 17 to 18 that I am aware of is the addition of the WiFi hotspot antenna (correction on this, the main tx/rx antenna for the cell modem is located in the roof antenna - WIFI has no external antenna, the cell modem runs a dual antenna diversity setup for cell service).
Wouldn't be the first time they have had to come up with another antenna design because of issues.

Aug 7 2018 6844 - 2018 Explorer - Sirius Satellite Radio With 4G Telematics Control Unit (TCU) - Loss Of Signal/Acquiring Signal Message Displayed

Some 2018 Explorer vehicles equipped with a 4G TCU modem may exhibit an Acquiring Signal message with a loss of satellite radio reception while driving in unobstructed areas. If normal Workshop Manual (WSM) diagnosis and testing does not indicate a fault and no diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) are stored, do not attempt any repairs at this time. Engineering is investigating, monitor OASIS for updates.

My thought on this...poor antenna design. The only difference in the roof antenna (houses GPS/Sirius) from the 17 to 18 that I am aware of is the addition of the WiFi hotspot antenna.
Wouldn't be the first time they have had to come up with another antenna design because of issues.

It's going to be a shielding issue is my guess, cellular interference with Sirius signal. It's odd this wasn't picked up in testing because from what I have seen the testing and certification process is pretty rigorous especially after the My Ford Touch embarrassment.

My thought on this...poor antenna design. The only difference in the roof antenna (houses GPS/Sirius) from the 17 to 18 that I am aware of is the addition of the WiFi hotspot antenna.

Jason, Good information... I had problems during the first few weeks of ownership (2018 Explorer Sport) however, over the last couple weeks its been solid. I believe it will be a shielding/engineering issue that will have a voluntary recall on it.

Thanks!
Dave

We have a 2018 Ford Explorer Platinum, coming from a 2017 Ford Explorer Platinum. Want to know why the 2018 has a shark fin radio antenna like the 2017, but now has a black thin antenna that must be attached.

Is this the new norm for the antennas? We struggle to get a solid HD Radio signal with this newer antenna.

Thanks for any feedback one can provide.

We have a 2018 Ford Explorer Platinum, coming from a 2017 Ford Explorer Platinum. Want to know why the 2018 has a shark fin radio antenna like the 2017, but now has a black thin antenna that must be attached.

Is this the new norm for the antennas? We struggle to get a solid HD Radio signal with this newer antenna.

Thanks for any feedback one can provide.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one. See post #52 for the explanation on the new style. Also check out #93 above.

Peter

Thank you so very much for your help. Just got done reading the thread. It is strange that our Sirius/XM works perfectly, but the HDRadio is effected.

Thanks again...

Siriusxm worked great for 5 months and then was acquiring signal most of the time. Saw post about possible interference due to satellite radio and WiFi on the same antenna. Tried turning off the WiFi and it did not help. Turned off dynamic route guidance on the gps and siriusxm started working great again. Been good for a week now. Hope this fixes it!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Siriusxm worked great for 5 months and then was acquiring signal most of the time. Saw post about possible interference due to satellite radio and WiFi on the same antenna. Tried turning off the WiFi and it did not help. Turned off dynamic route guidance on the gps and siriusxm started working great again. Been good for a week now. Hope this fixes it!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
An antenna should only cause interference if it's transmitting. The Sirius/GPS antenna is only a receiving antenna.

Peter

Back