• Register Today It's free!

Explorer sport 98 fuel economy!

Ricardo Hincapie

Reaction score
City, State
Colombia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hello everyone. I´m new on the forum. I have a 1998 Explorer Sport with OHV engine and S/T.
I don´t know if this topic was post before. I recently bought the truck and it was good, it made 16mpg on city, but sundennly the car go down to. 12.5mpg and continue worst 9.3 mpg. Before that the mechanic clean all inyectors, intake manifold and thortle boddy was clean too. Aditional he change the spark plugs (all) and it´s cables, and change the thermostat too because the car was operating too cold. The car is operating almost normal, but the mpgs never go back to 16 mpg. I don´t know more to fix or checked, if any one can helpm me THANKS!!!
Sorry for my english.

i would check your fuel pressure regulator. check what the pressure is when the truck is running, and when its off. i had a older ranger that had a 4L ohv that was getting horrid mileage, and couldnt get to operating temps (mind you it was the winter) and the fuel pressure regulator went bad in it.

i would check your fuel pressure regulator. check what the pressure is when the truck is running, and when its off. i had a older ranger that had a 4L ohv that was getting horrid mileage, and couldnt get to operating temps (mind you it was the winter) and the fuel pressure regulator went bad in it.

Hello and thanks for your time.
The pressure regulator is the same that gasoline pressure when the car is on?, because if yes, it wa checked, and it was good.
I want to ask something: the TP sensor, can give that problem? and make the car operate slow? like it don´t have enougth gas.

Hello and thanks for your time.
The pressure regulator is the same that gasoline pressure when the car is on?, because if yes, it wa checked, and it was good.
I want to ask something: the TP sensor, can give that problem? and make the car operate slow? like it don´t have enougth gas.

Thanks for your time!, but finally i know the problem: the AWD system. The module is failing. The mechanician put down the front diferecial and truck made again 16 mpg or better. Thanks again for your time!!!

I have another problem but this one is about transfer or 4x4 system: when i put low and i have to turn rigth or left, the car made a terrible sound, something like if disengage and engage again, and the noise continue if i continue turn, what can it be?

Back