1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

Explorer Sport ac question

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by Bianca Ruiz, February 13, 2020 at 10:12 PM.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. Bianca Ruiz

Bianca Ruiz New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2016 Sport
    Don’t know if this is the right spot to post this question!
    So I have a 2016 Explorer Sport and recently the AC has completely stopped working. The compressor doesn’t switch in either. I took it to a mom and pop shop today hoping to save money and had it recharged and dye put in to locate the leak. I was told to come back in two weeks. Tech said 90% of Freon was gone. He said he filled it up.I drive home which is about five minutes away and the ac is working great and ice cold. But there was a hissing noise coming from inside the vents. Hoping it was nothing I went inside and about three hours later I turned it back on and the air is hot again and the compressor won’t turn. Could it be the evap core?
    Thanks for any help!!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    2020 Explorer ST
    Biggest culprit is a leak for the rear AC unit under the bumper (drivers side). A crack can developed in one of the lines. May want to check that out. Evap core isnt a common failure on the 5th gen.

4. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3