1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Explorer Sport Code P0016

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by Jason Stockton, November 12, 2017.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. gerry gray

gerry gray New Member

City, State:
    latham ny
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2014 explorer sport
    has anyone actually replaced the cam sensors for code p0016? I have done the vvt solenoids and replaced 2 cam sensors. I have read that there are 4 and people have posted diagrams and even pics of a bare head showing 2 mounting bosses per head. however, the heads on my sport only has a single boss for one sensor. only other sensor i can see is the knock sensor. was there a change to the heads and the second sensor is located in another spot?

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum Gerry.:wave:
    Your thread was merged with this existing one on the same error.

Peter

4. stunya

stunya New Member

2015 Explorer Sport
    My wife's daily popped the dreaded P0016 code last night. It is a 2015 sport and has 58,500 miles. I cleared it and it was back again this AM. Thanks to some research from this forum, I quickly learned this is likely NOT a sensor and more likely to be a stretched timing chain. I have the cold start "rattle" as well.

I made the first available appointment with my only local dealer which is not until next week. Hoping (based on the information from here) that the entirety of repairs will be covered under the power train warranty.

A few questions:

1. The F150s have a TSB for this. Is there one for the explorers?

2. If no TSB do i have leverage to ensure they do the tensioners and phasers as well? I would hope they do, but i am new to this area and have no rapport with the local dealer.

3. I saw the recommendation to do the water pump as well. Thats great advice, and I will ask to pay out of pocket if necessary to ensure it gets done while everything is apart.

4. Any other recommendations? I am a little concerned they just throw a new cam sensor in, but it appears if the chain is stretched the CEL should return quickly even with a new sensor.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks to all for the help and support.

5. Ryan327

Ryan327 Active Member

City, State:
    Carmel, IN
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport
    So my Explorer started throwing a code for P0016 - Crankshaft position - Camshaft position correlation - Bank 1 Sensor A

This seems to very common on the ecoboost engines and there is a TSB out for the trucks so I dropped it off at the dealer today for them to look it over.

Got a call back a few hours later and told that the timing chain is worn out and will need to be replaced to the tune of $3200. Have many of you had this come up yet??? Seems like an excessive repair for relatively new vehicle. 2013 w/ 77k

6. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    2020 Explorer ST
    About $1,400 too much (should be $1,800+/-). 10-12 hour job. So say $1,400 in labor.. I'd love to know how they come up with a $1,800 chain.

Your thread was merged with the same topic using the search function which may help.

Last edited: November 13, 2019
  7. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    If you are going to go ahead with that repair Ryan, it might be a good idea to have them replace the water pump as well.

Peter

8. Javier Del Rio

Javier Del Rio New Member

City, State:
    Chicago Il
    2015 Explorer Sport
    Hey there, new member here. Seems my wife's 2015 Explorer sport is having the same issue. Rough Idle at stop lights while in drive and just started getting the P0016 code on sunday night. Any updates from anyone? I can only find the TSB for the F150 is it the same for the Explorers or a different one. Thanks in advance.

9. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum Javier.:wave:

Peter