explorer sport pics | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

explorer sport pics

Before and after larger tires.

Hi all. Here are a couple pics. My stock Explorer Sport and then with larger tires on my Sport grafted from GrnMachine and shipped all the way from Chicago to Vancouver, installed yesterday:

Stock:
39978149259_large.jpg
39978149125_large.jpg

31x10.5 Sport Kings (BFG) and Centerlines from GrnMachine:
38698484004_large.jpg

38698484005_large.jpg

38698484007_large.jpg

Dressed for Halloween:
38698484002_medium.jpg

More..
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3869848/1996-ford-explorer-sport-vancouver-bc-ca?p=1

What I have learned from bigger tires.
1. Stability. Rips through a corner now - no prob.
2. 31x10.5 is big on Sport 2drs. I cannot imagine a bigger tire w/o having to change gears front and rear diff.
3. Gas mileage change is almost unnoticeable.
4. Do it. Takes it out of the mom category and makes it look beefier.
5. Get a brake job. Stopping distance increases.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Canadian Twin!! Love it!! Because you dont have stock fender flares the wheels look even meaner! They are actually 15x8.5 wheels but who counts a half inch....

A rarity as well to have chrome bumpers/trim on a Sport. Not ordereable that way in the states--black or grey only.

Ex is looking great Jim!!

No lift - stock suspension. Actually I think my shocks on the front have fully expanded since I cannot push them down - like the front is hardly moveable...so I think when I replace the shocks I will have to do TT but until then it's in the air. I do have to put in a 2 inch shackle lift on the back. I am hoping GrnMachine will tell me where to get the parts. Also - this pic is showing the back lower because all my stock tires are in the back. Emptying the tires today & will add more photos.

Quick story of the Jason Mask. Three years ago I saw a f150 come up behind me in my rear view mirror and he had one on his grille and it startled me. 8-D So for the last two years..

Going to add my Go Rhino Grille Guard later this week.
3n93k33pf5W25R25S1aaicde287dc4a121639.jpg

Jim-like the chrome guard with the chrome on your sport.

Re: shackles they are made by a company called Warrior. Part no: WAR 153

Here is a great write up on them:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212451

I believe I bought them from Desert Rat. Didnt see them listed on their website though. 4wheelparts sells Warrior but i dont see the part no listed either. You may be able to call them directly, they should be able to order them.

well, it will have the foglights when I get a set, but you can put that style bumper on yours and wire your fogs in....

Si

jim,

those are the shackles. that is close to what I paid many years ago as well. Sports in the US had a mono leaf-it will flatten over time with the shackles installed. I ended up replacing my leaf springs with ARB OME Dakar leaf spring packs as well along with extended shocks. It is never ending... And Addicting

Heres my 99 explorer sport stock for now.
Explorerrut1.jpg

Explorerrut2.jpg

Stock wheeling is fun!
Looks good.

thanks and i love offroading in the ex just want some 31's, TT, and Shackles cause ground clearance is my limit at the moment.

Ok, Here's my updates...

Sitting on 33x12.50x15, hopefully getting another set of 35's in a couple weeks,
99p30p.jpg

New dual exhaust setup...
2qmp850.jpg
2ni9rpc.jpg

And since we're showing off our intakes... An underhood shot...
1739ys.jpg

Axial is that a custom bumper and skidplate combo? Or is it just the bumper. I'm looking around for something similar to that> I like your as it looks to have the fog holes right in it.

here's mine. 96 sport, new transfer case, WAR153, TT, crager soft 8's, custom brush guard, 20% tint, new headlights, 32x11.50x15 Super Swapmer SSR's, and just turned 234k.

IMG00049-20100630-1952.jpg

IMG00015-20100722-1650.jpg

IMG00103-20100712-1628.jpg

IMG00110-20100731-1351.jpg

Axial is that a custom bumper and skidplate combo? Or is it just the bumper. I'm looking around for something similar to that> I like your as it looks to have the fog holes right in it.

It's a bumper with a diamond plate section to look like a skidplate.. it doesn't go all the way down to the axle.. just because I want to do a SAS soon and the it would get in the way.. It does have holes cut in it for fog lights.. that I haven't bought yet... I will also have a area cut out for a winch and fairlead.. but again, haven't bought one yet.. I have more pics somewhere.. ohh.. here they are.. the whole design of my bumper on this thread...http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270393

96 expy, that is clean, over 200k that is super clean! Vehicles from TN kill me...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back