Solved - Explorer Towing Capacities | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Explorer Towing Capacities

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
This is your max towing capacity. Meaning all cargo, passengers and weight of trailer and contents included. Don't think you can load up with stuff in the truck and still tow this amount of weight on a trailer!

Attachments

• Capacities 1997.jpg
    Capacities 1997.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 33,822

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an 01 limited with a 5.0 awd. Would towing a 3500 pound car and tandem axle trailed be pushing it. I have only on HUGE hill to cllimb then it's all flat land after that.

It's the altamont hill in livermore ca. if anyone knows what i'm talking about.

You should be fine. Just make sure your have trailer brakes. The 5.0L Explorers AWD are rated at 6400lbs I believe.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

The 2wd vehicles do have a larger capacity due to less vehicle weight as you stated.

I am pretty sure the 4WD and AWD Explorers are rated higher than the 2WD's. Its at least that way with the 5.0L Explorers.

I'd say your near the upper limits of the Explorer. How much fuel does the boat carry? The d4 axle code is a 3.73 limited slip.

hey whats going on fellas.. I Am In The Process Of Buying a 03 Explorer Eddie Bauer Eddition 4.6L AWD. I Currently Reside In NYC And Plan On Moving To Texas With In The Next 45Days. So Long Story Short I Was Excited that i was going to take my new truck driving down to the south towing a uhaul trailer but unfortunately its not going to happen. I've Called multiple times and i got the same run down. Ford Explorers Or SUV's In General are not able to uhaul because there are unsafe and are known to flip.. :( So what do i do now? i dont have the cash to ship my things out there, it runs $1800

i have an 02' XLS and i tow my 6000 pound boat with it. My EX has no problem pulling it up the boat ramp or to any place i wanna take it. Mine even has the V6. These things can pull more than most people think

hey whats going on fellas.. I Am In The Process Of Buying a 03 Explorer Eddie Bauer Eddition 4.6L AWD. I Currently Reside In NYC And Plan On Moving To Texas With In The Next 45Days. So Long Story Short I Was Excited that i was going to take my new truck driving down to the south towing a uhaul trailer but unfortunately its not going to happen. I've Called multiple times and i got the same run down. Ford Explorers Or SUV's In General are not able to uhaul because there are unsafe and are known to flip.. :( So what do i do now? i dont have the cash to ship my things out there, it runs $1800

Find another trailer company like Budget or Penske. It's not SUV's in general, it's just the Explorer.

Looking to get a camper...

Hello... First post here and the reason why I'm here, I'm sure I will find other reasons though... Anyway someone from an RV Forum directed me to this site. I have an 05 XLT Sport Package with the 4.0 V6 and tow package with the 3:73 gears. I really don't want to upgrade my vehicle, we totally dig our explorer...

I have 3 young kids currently 9 months, 2 3/4 years, and 5 years. So they don't weigh a lot... :)

Anyway, the camper I think that would work best for my family I'm seeing listing as a GVW of 3800 - 4100 lbs. It's 26 feet long. Anyway, like others said... "Would this be pushing it???"

If we get this camper we are planning a trip to Florida so looking at drive from PA. Other than that though, we'd probably do trips within a few hours, but who knows... Some of the places we'd like to go camping with friends are in the mountains so I'm sure I'll be doing some hills...

I can't get my wife to agree on a smaller camper and I'm really not looking to get a camper and upgrade another vehicle (the explorer is staying)...

Anyway, don't to make a mistake so any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks...

Welcome to the site. Thats a big ass camper for an Explorer. Will it pull it? Probably. Will it like it? Almost surely not. If you do it get a HUGE transmission cooler. A temp gauge would be recommended as well. What's the frontage on that trailer?

Welcome to the site. Thats a big ass camper for an Explorer. Will it pull it? Probably. Will it like it? Almost surely not. If you do it get a HUGE transmission cooler. A temp gauge would be recommended as well. What's the frontage on that trailer?

If you mean tounge weight, that's 407 lbs... I have the Class III/IV hitch...

I don't want to cause myself issues... I've heard of transmission problems and what not... If I installed another transmission cooler, should I remove the stock one and just replace it with a larger one?

Frontage is how much area the front of the trailer has, your pulling that along with the weight. I'd run both coolers. Is that the empty tongue weight, or fully loaded?

Frontage is how much area the front of the trailer has, your pulling that along with the weight. I'd run both coolers. Is that the empty tongue weight, or fully loaded?

I don't know about the frontage, and that tounge weight is empty or dry as they say...

What's the max tongue weight for the 3rd gens?

This is the trailer we like that would work for our family and stuff...

http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/de...&choice=wood&nav=rec&name=3273&series=XLiteTT

Is frontage the area from the axles to the front of the trailer? If so just looking at the pictures and stuff I'd say around 16' - 18'

Here's some pictures of it on eBay... It seems like most of these camper manufactures don't have a bunch of pics on their sites, like it's a secret...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0410001938&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Frontage is the area of the front of the trailer that would catch wind. The more frontage, the more drag or "billboard" effect. Add some incline and a headwind, and frontage can be a big deal.

Frontage is the area of the front of the trailer that would catch wind. The more frontage, the more drag or "billboard" effect. Add some incline and a headwind, and frontage can be a big deal.

Oh, OK, well the height of the camper outside is only 9' 10" - I know the ceilings are low, to make it lighter and to reduce drag...

Help!

I have a 1997 Ford Explorer EB Edition. (FIRST TIME POSTING) My husband is in the Military and I am trying to move to Oklahoma our next duty station from Nebraska while he is deployed. Okay so I have 3 horses gross weight roughly 3600lbs of horse, and a 16 foot trailer no idea its gross weight. Is it safe and possible for me to tow my horses to Oklahoma (about 600 miles) or should I find a different way. Everything I have read says that I have a capability of just over 6000lbs. Please tell me if I am going to kill myself or others doing this. PLEASE HELP! thanks in advance for any input.:salute:

I'm assuming you have a 5.0 V8 since you can pull over 6k. I'd figure your 3 horse 16' trailer at near 2000 lbs, so 2000+3600= 5600, very near the max limit of what you can tow. I'd say if you didn't have a ton of stuff crammed in the vehicle, went slow and took your time, it can be done. Brakes are a major concern, you'd need hydraulic or electric brakes on the trailer. Hills and curves would be a challenge. It's not impossible, but will certainly be interesting. If you don't have a 5.0, I would recommend something else to tow with simply because your transmission can't take the heat of a tow like that.

sold a horse

I decided to sell a horse to make this a little less stressful! I have an angry kid now but she will have to deal with it. I do have the 5.0 and the trailer does have brakes. Thanks for the reply. My husband said that the less stuff I take the better. So I am going to have less then 200 lbs of tack and crap with us. Thanks again. I appreciate the help. If you think of anything else that I should know about my great endevour let me know. LOL :p:

Hi all,

I have a 2000 XLT (4.0 SOHC with axle code 45 - 3.55 ratio). Total hauling capacity 4,740lbs.
I'm moving from Toronto to Edmonton; about 3300km / 2000m. Planning on buying an 8X10 cargo trailer and having a towing kit mounted on my XLT.
Wondering if anyone has any suggestions about what kind of trailer to buy, what kind of towing package to get, if I need any other stuff done to my truck.

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Rolodex
:exp:

I have a 1991 explorer 4 door w/ 5 speed manual 4x4,what's my towing capacity?

Back