explorer upgrade | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

explorer upgrade

That is crazy. Are you going to make a high strength tube drive shaft or just shorten another stock one? If you run a stockish one then, in theory, it can act like a fuse and blow before you grenade something else .... like a t-case:rolleyes: Maybe you need a throttle limiter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im gona do another stock one for now, there easy to change ... compared to a T case. Im thinking about swapin to a v8 and a real trans/Tcase soon, just have to talk Becky into it...

Im thinking about swapin to a v8 and a real trans/Tcase soon, just have to talk Becky into it...

I am helping with that too. I mention the Atlas to her all the time.

I dont think shes going for it... Something about spending $2500 on a T case and not a ring or something like that...:rolleyes:

I built another driveshaft for the rear and I replaced my brake line that I tore off on a stump. I pulled the doubler so I can take it to work and swap the E shift case that I threw in to finish our wheelin trip back to a manual shift. I need to throw it on the rack and shake everything down before I drag it over east.

So it turns out if you swap the 6 planitary gear set from a 1354 into a 1350 case you have to swap the shift fork and collar out also.... Im stuck in low on my doubler. Back out it goes...:thumbdwn:

Got the T case thing fixed, re-did my ram hoses and started working on fixing my wheels. Looks about like this now, just with less mud...

Attachments

• 253584_652490357323_39201124_34660523_3782312_n.jpeg
    253584_652490357323_39201124_34660523_3782312_n.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 322

well, my beadlocks failed bad on the inner bead so I have been looking into other options (google irok bead problems). So double beadlock wheels run anywhere from 385 to 585 per wheel in 17"... well Im cheep so I am going to try to make my own dual beadlock wheels. I should have pic's up soon of my first atempt...Note to anyone else out there, never ever buy ANYTHING in the 17", the beads are as bad as the 16.5's!

what about running inner tubes?

I looked into tubes but they dont make the thick ones in a size thet will work and I dont think they would live very long being in such a heavy rig. I have a friend that has been having alot of problems running staun tire tube/beadlocks. The sides of them get pinched under the tire bead and rub holes in the sides causing leaks, Im afraid that will be wose for me with the extra weight.

Speaking of tires, did they replace your tire or did you have to buy a new one?

I called and they had to contact the corparate office because I bought them so far back, they have not called be back so I will call them tomorrow.

Update? I built some inner beadlocks for my wheels but I have yet to take them out and beat them that hard. I hope this is the end of my tire problems...

Next is 5.38 gears and swaping over to 35 spline shafts in the rear. I also want to build some half doors like Paul has, I like the way his turned out. I would like to get out and do some more wheelin but theres just to much going on this summer :rolleyes:

Another update? I built a 1 ton driveshaft for the rear using a '04 f350 shaft cut down and the larger output flange from a AWD explorer tcase. So far its holding up well, with 1350 joints I hope it will stay that way. The old 4.0L has devloped a few flat lifters and I have been seeing alot of bearing material in the oil (something to do with running upside down a few times...) so I think its time to come up with a new game plan. I did a BG hot oil fulsh on it at work to see if that would help but I dont have high hopes for it. The previous owner of it never changed the oil and the motor looks like a jello mold inside so I am suprised it has made it this far given what I do with it.

So today I got a 1356 fixed yoke T caes and a ZF 5 speed from Forrest's work (LKQ) and Im on the hunt for a 5.0L... When the 4.0L dies Im going to swap to a v8, well... thats the plan for now...

Do you got a V-8 in there yet? I am thinking there will be snow above the scale shack 9 miles down the road from me in 2 weeks.

The junk yards wont sell a complete motor, they strip all the good stuff off them for cores. All the ones on craigs list that I have called on are way up north or they sounded like a crack head on the phone. I have started looking for cheap mustangs, cougars, thunderbirds, mark 8's, explorers, etc. I thought it would be easy to find something but you know how Craigslist is...

Im down for snow whenever! I tried to blow the 4.0 last weekend but it is still hanging in there. The hot oil flush worked better then I had expected, it still rattles cold and it comes and goes when its warm but the 2 bad lifters havent gone flat ever since. Im just gona give her hell and see how long it stays together. I have to fix my spare tire carrier, I bent it pushing Nates jeep up a hill when he broke his axle last weekend. I'll drive it to work this week and give it a good shake down so I know its ready for some snow wheelin sometime soon. We were talkin about hitting Evans before it closes if they have alot of snow...

I saw pictures of snow at evans last weekend, I now only work around 54 hours a week so my saturdays are free for awhile.
There is a high mileage v-8 explorer in centralia for 850 he has had it on craigslists for a long time.
I order the dom and heims to make a new track bar that should take care of wearing out the bushings in the trackbar every time out

I saw that one, I was hoping for a little less miles. Im going to go look at a motor out of a mark 8 with 80K in the morning. We will see how legit this thing is, gona be pissed if its a boat ancor...

Did you order the RuffStuff kit? Heims and no bends = bad ass! The bushing thing gets old fast :thumbdwn:

Chris got his 60 narowed and under the ranger last night, wont be long and he will be ready to finally make it through the "can opener" without breaking something... I hope.

There has been at times a AWD black explorer down in castlerock with 114K miles for sale or trade, I went to look at it awhile back and it was a POS that was covered up with new black paint, you could smell the paint was fresh.

If Chris is going to try to make it through the can opener this year he better hurry before it is snowed in.
I did not order the kit but I did order individual parts it came to $121 with shipping.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im thinking next year for Chris... He wants to have it ready for some snow wheelin but we will see. I got a 90' mustang HO 5.0L, harness, computer, and all the other BS for $650 from a guy on CL up north. Now its down the little stuff and I should have it ready for the swap.

Back