Explorer vs escape | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer vs escape

I have a 2012 Escape, a 2006 Mariner (Escape).

The AWD actually engages the rear wheels at every acceleration- even on dry pavement with zero wheel spin. My ScanGauge is programmed to show it and I can watch it feather out as speed increases. Typically it's all FWD by 35 mph or so, but I've seen it applying some to the rear at 55 or so.

The interior of a 2012 or older Escape is similar to a first or second gen Explorer- except not quite as long. The seat bottoms in the first gen models (2001-2007) are known to be short and thus uncomfortable to some. The second gens are better.

I've driven my Mariner from CO to FL and back and was fine. I'm 6'1" and about 225lbs. I also used to drive it about 700 miles a week. I personally didn't find it uncomfortable.

Personally I find it interesting that you are comparing an Escape and an Explorer as they are 2 very different vehicles. I think you really need to take a closer look at your needs.

Precisely because they are different I posed the question. Am not familiar with escape more than in pictures. Also I note that they are becoming popular here in Belize. I think the cons will highlight what makes them different.
Notwithstanding, what I have read so far leads me to want to stick with the explorer. My target is to purchase in late july early august. Choice will be from a 2010 to 2012. Import duties are very high 45% to 78% depending on cylinders. So it would be the price you all pay plus the import duties and freight. If only there were an export price in the USA. Brand new vehicles here go for $110,000.00 to $165,000.00. A new 1700 sq ft 3 bedroom house goes for $45,000.00. Just to put things in context. Lol
Cheers

I have a 2003 Escape (4WD) and a 2007 Explorer XLT (4WD) and they both are excellent vehicles. Other than the size, I have no problems with the Escape and that is just for cargo hauling. Driver comfort (I am 6 foot and 200lbs) is no problem and the engine is more responsive than the V6 in the Explorer or the V8 in my previous 2004 Explorer. The wife uses the Escape and it is fine for her "around town" excursions. Gas mileage - not much difference - a mile or two maybe. Never tried "Eco-boost".

John

Back