Explorers refused at Discount Tire? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorers refused at Discount Tire?

Ok, today was the day I finally could go get my 31's put on my truck. I drive all the way out to Discount, after calling ahead and making a appointment, and checking price, availability, etc. Well I pay for em, they pull milage, check rim size blah blah, pull the truck in and then tell me minutes later they were not allowed to put anything other than factory stock size on any Explorer. I was refunded and sent packing.
Is this something new, and does it apply any where else? I expect the Uhaul turndown, but not this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I never heard of it, but I've got factory oversized stock tires, installed by Discount, so I wouldn't have run into this.

ive had the same problem with discount tire/america tire. Alot of places wont put bigger tires on explorers. Best bet is to just take the wheels off and take them in, they wont question anything then.

:rolleyes: this happened to me at Sam's club 2 weeks ago. the funny thing was i was replacing 2 of the same tires that a got there to begin with. so now im roolin on bald tires.:rolleyes:

Because of the Firestone fiasco & law suits that followed, a lot of tire shops will not putting anything on other than the size listed on the door sticker.

An independent shop would be your best place.

I got my tires at a Goodyear/Vespia place and had no problem.

Discount Tire started this two or three years ago after the Firestone crap hit the news and companies got gun-shy about lawsuits. Until then they swapped oversized tires no problem. As has been suggested, depending on the individual dealership, you can actually remove your tires right out in their parking lot and bring them in to get replaced, providing that they are not the ones that physically do the swap on the vehicle. Silly, yes :rolleyes: but that's how it goes. I chose to give another company that hasn't succumbed to the lawsuit frenzy shyness yet my business and switched from using Discount Tire two tire changes and $1,500+ ago. Maybe if they lose enough business they'll change back.

Well I guess I am S.O.L for now then, I will have to think of a way to cart the tire/rim to the store and then bring everything back, I am keeping the old tires, they are in great shape still.
By not having them on the vehicle when purchasing, wouldnt that void any warranty, without a way to keep track of mileage? Thanks!

Get your tires at the tirerack and then take it to an independent or an offroad shop. I got my Kumhos from Tirerack and had them put on at Peerless tire no problems.

What the tire companies don't know is the firestone tire fiasco is mostly the fault of unknowing yuppies who think that a SUV should handle like a minivan. I seen a report that if the idiots didn't panic and do something stupid no problems would have happened.

Get your tires at the tirerack and then take it to an independent or an offroad shop. I got my Kumhos from Tirerack and had them put on at Peerless tire no problems.

If he orders from Tirerack he will have to tell them they are for a Ranger, Jeep or full sized truck of any make because Tire rack will not sell anything but stock tires for Explorers as well.

Another problem with buying on line is alot of places charge out the a$$ for mounting & balancing if you don't buy the tires from them.

Two years ago when I was looking for new tires I looked at Tirerack but 3 places I called for mounting & balancing quotes wanted bewteen $25-$30 a tire for mounting & balancing:eek: :eek: :eek:

If he orders from Tirerack he will have to tell them they are for a Ranger, Jeep or full sized truck of any make because Tire rack will not sell anything but stock tires for Explorers as well.

I didn't have that problem. With online orders you can just not say what car the order is for. With phone orders, I told them twice in the last two months it's a lifted Explorer and nobody questioned it. I don't see why they'd have any problem if they're not doing the install.

they told me it was because of a trany issue people where having. it messed up the over drive. told them i don't care, they still seed no.

Sams Club would not put 31's on my explorer. Went to BIG O and they put them on no problem.

i went to the local discount tire shop and i got 32x11.50 put on no problem

Some places can be dicks.

I got turned down by Tire Rack a couple of years ago on the 275/55-17's for my '98 XLT AWD 5.0. I went around their blocking of my purchase by creating a new log in and used my dad's house as the ship-to and my Father in Law's credit card for the bill-to. I told them that the tires were for a 1988 C-10. It was a big PITA. I now get a quote from Tire Rack on-line and use it as a hammer to get a good price from a local shop.

Well, I tried Wal-mart just for to see if this rule applied, sure enough. I know the lady that works in the tire dept. and she couldve sneaked it through for me, but wal mart doesnt have anything I want.
I went out this moring and got a set of Kumho Road Venture, 31x1050 everything for $440 so I am happy, not the BFG's I wanted, but good enough. I got it done at a local ma an pa tire shop, I told them about the little rule and they just laughed.

Discount put my 31s on with no problems. they were joking around with me about fixing them on a stock Ex. the one guy there had a gen 2 on 31s so i think that helped.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You don't have to tell them anything. When I ordered mine I didn't have to list any vehicle at all.

Tim

Back