Extreme transmission issue - Drives until it is warmed up. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Extreme transmission issue - Drives until it is warmed up.

Ryan Haapala

Reaction score
City, State
Davisburg MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4.6
Hello everybody. I'm new to Explorerforum, but I'd like to make a post about my 2002 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.6. I love this car, but recently I've run into transmission issues that make the car un-drivable. I just recently hit 240,000 miles and I've been waiting for a problem like this to happen. My explorer drives perfectly fine, every single gear works, until it is warmed up. Also, it makes a whine (coming from transmission), almost like the sound your car makes when you don't have enough power steering fluid. I've thinking about doing a full rebuild on it, but I'd just like to know what, specifically, went bad in the trans.

Hello everybody. I'm new to Explorerforum, but I'd like to make a post about my 2002 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.6. I love this car, but recently I've run into transmission issues that make the car un-drivable. I just recently hit 240,000 miles and I've been waiting for a problem like this to happen. My explorer drives perfectly fine, every single gear works, until it is warmed up. Also, it makes a whine (coming from transmission), almost like the sound your car makes when you don't have enough power steering fluid. I've thinking about doing a full rebuild on it, but I'd just like to know what, specifically, went bad in the trans.

@Ryan Haapala
A guess? Partially stuck open oil pump relief valve, cold fluid viscous enough to operate hydraulics, hot oil bypasses greater volume, drops pressure too low to operate. Run a pressure check with a gauge, before and after it warms up.

Another guess? Damaged or worn fluid pump. Just a thought. imp

@Ryan Haapala
A guess? Partially stuck open oil pump relief valve, cold fluid viscous enough to operate hydraulics, hot oil bypasses greater volume, drops pressure too low to operate. Run a pressure check with a gauge, before and after it warms up.

Another guess? Damaged or worn fluid pump. Just a thought. imp
Thank you for the quick reply! I'll look into it and get back to you asap.

Back