F150 Coil Seats Install and Shackles for TTB suspension based platforms | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

F150 Coil Seats Install and Shackles for TTB suspension based platforms

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply. I was planning on getting it aligned anyways, I just didn't want the front pointing down when I did.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In general, yes. What you have to watch for is that the f-150 coil seat doesn't lift the front high enough so that you can't keep the camber aligned.

If the front end dropped one inch with the bumper weight, the coil seats will actually lift the front slightly over where it was before the bumper. That means you may need an alignment (camber at least) but it didn't lift it so much that it will throw you to the point where it can't get aligned.

In short (I know, too late) it depends on how much the bumper screwed up the alignment (lowering) compared with how much the coil seat will mess with the alignment (lift).. But putting it under a lift coil is safe.

~Mark
What he said.
Two of us posted on here that we did this fix for sagging Rancho springs, so it should work for you. It all depends on how much the new bumper dropped the front. If it's 1 to 1-1/2 inches, you should be fine with the coil spacers. If the drop is less, every off road place in the country should have small 1/4" thick coil spacers. You just keep stacking them up until you get the right height. I have six of them in my junk drawer that I removed to do this modification. I put them in when I put on my plate bumper and winch.

I am doing exactly that to achieve enough lift to allow for alignment adjustability. Either way, you'll have to align your truck after installing the coil seats. Otherwise she'll drive horribly and destroy your tires.

See mine!

JD RA with spacer.jpg

It all depends on how much the new bumper dropped the front. If it's 1 to 1-1/2 inches, you should be fine with the coil spacers. If the drop is less, every off road place in the country should have small 1/4" thick coil spacers. You just keep stacking them up until you get the right height. I have six of them in my junk drawer that I removed to do this modification. I put them in when I put on my plate bumper and winch.

Gonna measure before and after bumper is installed tomorrow. If it's 1.25" drop or more, I'm gonna do the f150 coil seats.

EDIT: I was going to ask which generation f150 you guys get these coil seats from, 1987-1991 or 1992-1997. Checked the part number on the 1st page. Apparently it's the 1992-1997 generation. Just throwing that out there in case anyone else was wondering.

...I was going to ask which generation f150 you guys get these coil seats from, 1987-1991 or 1992-1997. Checked the part number on the 1st page. Apparently it's the 1992-1997 generation. Just throwing that out there in case anyone else was wondering.

Post 152!

Went to the junkyard yesterday, grabbed what I needed. If anyone is having a hard time finding the coil seats, I can go grab at least 2 other pairs from what I saw sitting there.

That's a lot easier than paying $80+ at the dealership...RIGHT!

prices have jumped like crazy
they want like 75 for on and 45 for the other

Which tools to remove from the F150?

Looks like I'm gonna have to find these at the junkyard because I am not paying what they are going for now. But I was wondering for those that have taken them from the junkyard, are there any tools specific to the F150 that aren't used on the explorer? Would like to make it a one trip deal.

Les Schewb tires just queted me 248.00$ for an alingment for my stone stock 92 exp,If they have to change the camber bushings. I really cant afford to spend this much money for an alingment. Is there any way to figure out what camber bushings I'll need if I do the work myself?

Just as an fyi, the F2TZ-5A307-A is now 90.00 bucks list, and the F2TZ-5A307-B is now discontinued. Looks like quite a bit of yard crawling is going to be in order for those who want to do this mod anymore.

Les Schewb tires just queted me 248.00$ for an alingment for my stone stock 92 exp,If they have to change the camber bushings. I really cant afford to spend this much money for an alingment. Is there any way to figure out what camber bushings I'll need if I do the work myself?
If you have an alignment rack in your garage, otherwise its best left up to a shop. I would go somewhere else. You should be able to get it aligned for less than that. My last alignment was around $120.00 with one bushing needing to be changed. You could call around and find a shop that re-uses the bushings. They should have buckets full around the shop. That is what I did.

Just for information; The Grande Bronco seats work also, you just have to cut the sway bar or shock mount off if you are having clearance issues.

...:scratch:....At these prices I might just put my coil seats up for bid...

Just as an fyi, the F2TZ-5A307-A is now 90.00 bucks list, and the F2TZ-5A307-B is now discontinued. Looks like quite a bit of yard crawling is going to be in order for those who want to do this mod anymore.

Lucky for me we have great junk yards around here that are pretty cheap.
Even I thought I might pull curtain parts to sell to make a little money on the side.

If you have an alignment rack in your garage, otherwise its best left up to a shop. I would go somewhere else. You should be able to get it aligned for less than that. My last alignment was around $120.00 with one bushing needing to be changed. You could call around and find a shop that re-uses the bushings. They should have buckets full around the shop. That is what I did.

Just for information; The Grande Bronco seats work also, you just have to cut the sway bar or shock mount off if you are having clearance issues.

I'll keep looking around for a cheaper deal. Thanks.

Lucky for me we have great junk yards around here that are pretty cheap.
Even I thought I might pull curtain parts to sell to make a little money on the side.

Yeah, I'm thinking I may do the same from the local pick and pull.

I think its been said before but the seat you want are for a 92-97 f150. 91 is different.

Same here...I could use a set if anyone has access to one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same here! My junkyards dont have them :(

Back