F150 Coil Seats Install and Shackles for TTB suspension based platforms | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

F150 Coil Seats Install and Shackles for TTB suspension based platforms

I've already got my coil seats, I am just going to have a shop put them in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had two washers on each side that were made for coil springs. They kept wiggling the nut loose due to their movement on the trail. I ended up taking them out and putting in the coil seats. Four washers on each side will only make the nut get looser faster. Keep a close eye on that. If the nut comes off on the trail, you are screwed.:p: I had that happen. Luckily we found the nut by backtracking. It was only a few yards from when the nut wiggled loose to when the coil popped out of the bottom mount.

Yikes!! Not something I wanna do!

Well, its gonna cost me $150 to get my X aligned. Not too bad. Will be done tomorrow, thankfully I'll have this part completed.

Well, its gonna cost me $150 to get my X aligned. Not too bad. Will be done tomorrow, thankfully I'll have this part completed.

150 for just an alignment? My shop charged 39.99 for an alignment. Hell, my tires were not wearing correct a few months after my alignment so he re did it for free.

...I'm assuming the alignment price includes the use of a few different size camber bushings, the cost and actual new camber bushings used during and for the alignment..

...That is normal for this new alignment and parts, while $39 sounds like a basic alignment. Most alignments have something like a 90 day to 6 month or so warranty..

...This is a good time to check into a lifetime alignment..;)

Maybe later....barely able to afford this alignment. But I know it has to be done.

Ok, got my truck back. Now, the alignment went well, but the guy at the shop said for some reason its pulling to the right, and its not because of the alignment. What else could it be? Its noticeable enough that maybe I have something going on that front right side....

...Check your front bearings as they probably are loose...This is not always caught during an alignment and should be...

Dont tell me i need wheel bearings grrrrr. I will have to wait on those grrrr.

...You would know if you needed wheel bearings as you will hear them...

..Pulling to the right is somewhat common of the loose passenger side wheel bearings...This is more common with X's that have 33-35" tires though and given enough time it will wear the spindle and or rotor..

..Just jack the truck up and you may see the wheel pull in at the bottom somewhat drastically...Pull the wheel and just see if everything is tight as i should be..

Any alignment shop worth anything should pick up the front end, and check ball joints, tie rods and bearings by checking for play before they even hook up the alignment sensors on the wheels. If they don't, they are a crappy alignment shop.

Also, What are the before and after readings? If the caster is more negative on the passenger side it will pull to that side..

This is of course assuming you rear axle and frame are straight (thrust angle) and you don't have dragging brakes.

~Mark

...Then again, any good alignment shop would have an answer for why the truck is pulling to one side before they return it to the customer...:p:

Ya, one would think they would have checked out the pulling to the right while he had it up there... I'm not taking it back to them ever again. I thought they were a good shop, usually are, but not this time.

I think checking the wheel bearings might be a mute point. I've started hearing a rattling sound coming from underneath when I put a load on the transmission...say going up a hill or whatever......I HOPE and pray that it isn't the death rattle of my automatic transmission.

Looking at the piece of paper I got:

Cross caster: before: .3 after: .0
Left caster: before: 3.0, after: 2.6
Right caster: before: 2.7, after: 2.6

...That shop is responsible and you do have a warranty on your alignment so if it is by chance loose bearings/nuts, just tighten them up and take it back for a free re-alignment..The sooner the better for you..

...While you have it jacked up, spin the wheel and see if the brake is dragging as Maniak mentioned..

..If and when anybody works on my truck I watch them the whole time and as soon as I get home I inspect everything..You can learn a lot of stuff by just looking..:D

I'm going to take it back tomorrow, and make them check everything in the front end. I'm not happy with just spending $150 and being told 'we don't know why its pulling'. I'm NOT stupid.

my alignment cost me $120 at ford

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Just a heads up..

...Alignment shops will not tighten the front end up for you..They do a visual pre-inspection looking for worn/damaged parts but removing the wheel is not part of the process..:hammer:

Back