factory alarm going off while charging battery | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

factory alarm going off while charging battery

kimm2381

Reaction score
City, State
Tulalip, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
Hi there,
I inherited a 2004 4.0 XLT when my dad passed, that does not run. When trying to get in into neutral to load on the trailer to haul home, the alarm was going off while connected to another vehicle, but I was able to lock the doors from the inside and disengage it long enough to get the rig into neutral, but have not been able to get it back into park, no matter what I've tried. Today, we hooked it to the trickle charger so we can start troubleshooting why it's not running, and the audible alarm goes off as soon as the charger is engaged, with the instrument panel completely lit up. I have been able to override the alarm before, but I don't remember how I did it. During this episode, I closed all doors, locked and unlocked it from the inside, with and without the key (factory key) in the ignition. For the time being, we have the battery disconnected, and hooked to the charger solo. Is it possible that the alarm was going off because the battery was so low, and we'll be able to override it when we hook the battery up once charged? I haven't found any threads describing a situation quite like this, so I'm at a loss on what to do. Also, I do not have a key fob right now... I know they are cheap, but I don't really want to order one and find out that the explorer isn't worth fixing.

Any input on both getting the alarm to disengage, and getting the dang thing back into park?

no bites yet, but to update... battery is fully charged, audible alarm still goes off as soon as the pos terminal is connected. Found the RAPS module to get the door code, can lock and unlock doors via the keypad, all while the alarm is going off, and does not disable the audible alarm. At this point, I'm assuming I'll just have to take it to ford and pay them to diagnose the issue... or cut my losses and sell it as a parts vehicle

It should easily cycle back into Park if everything works. Insert key, turn to ON position, foot firmly on brake, move shift selector. If it's really difficult to move, you might have a problem with the shift interlock and/or ignition.

What happens if you unlock the truck, pull the horn fuse and connect the battery? Does the perimeter alarm shut off and disarm itself after five minutes? You'll still be able to hear the relays and see the lights flash until it shuts off.

We haven’t pulled any fuses yet, I’m going into labor so I’ll save that to try in a couple weeks when I will hopefully feel like tinkering again. It is something we planned on doing (pulling the horn fuse), we just didn’t get a chance too

Back