Factory HID's | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Factory HID's

Just to clear up some bad data above, THE HEADLIGHT HOUSINGS ARE NOT THE SAME!

I have a parts list for the 2011 Ford Explorer and it shows different headlight housings for the regular headlight assembly and the HID.

The halogens are BB5Z 13008E & F @ $875.72
The HID are BB5Z 13008C & D for $1,139.78

I cannot tell you what the difference is, simply that I have a parts breakdown for insurance purposes that shows pricing and time to change the part and it is showing different fixtures, different prices.

I'd hate to melt one of these things or screw it up just to get HID's. They are nice, but if you had to replace the fixture, ouch!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a parts list for the 2011 Ford Explorer and it shows different headlight housings for the regular headlight assembly and the HID.

I cannot tell you what the difference is, simply that I have a parts breakdown for insurance purposes that shows pricing and time to change the part and it is showing different fixtures, different prices.

I'd hate to melt one of these things or screw it up just to get HID's. They are nice, but if you had to replace the fixture, ouch!

Different part numbers doesn't mean the housing it's different. It could just mean that BB5Z 13008E & F just labels these as non-hid while BB5Z 13008C & D means the same housing but it just includes the HID ballast attached to it and the HID bulb.

Also you should not worry about a housing melting with HID because true HID don't exert as much heat as a halogen bulb. You can feel the difference when you put your hand in front of the lights.

I do understand what your trying to say but the fact is if you do wreck your vehicle and it has HID you would want the HID headlight.

Different part numbers doesn't mean the housing it's different. It could just mean that BB5Z 13008E & F just labels these as non-hid while BB5Z 13008C & D means the same housing but it just includes the HID ballast attached to it and the HID bulb.

The difference between the halogen housing and the HID/xenon housing will be different optics and the addition of the high beam actuators. With halogen headlamps, the low beam and high beam are two different filaments in the bulb. With xenon you don't have multiple filaments in the bulb or capsule, so to create a low and high beam there will be a mechanically activated shutter mounted in the housing to meter the amount of light projected out. (Retrofit bulbs incorporate a shutter on the bulb itself to create a low beam and high beam in the absence of dual filaments in the bulb)

The other thing that will be different will be the inclusion of a mechanism to automatically level the headlamps. DOT regulations mandate that xenon headlights automatically raise and lower to ensure you're not dazzling oncoming traffic. To make this work, there will be a motor inside the housing to move the optics. There's also a controller somewhere in the car, as well as sensors typically mounted on each axle, that make the leveling system work.

The difference between the halogen housing and the HID/xenon housing will be different optics
With the '11 Explorer, both the HID and halogen setups use a projection beam configuration. The lens itself might be a little different, but they're pretty similar. There are indeed other differences in the housing, as the mount for the halogen bulb is very different than the HID mount. But I wouldn't be surprised if that's the only difference.

and the addition of the high beam actuators. With halogen headlamps, the low beam and high beam are two different filaments in the bulb.
Incorrect. The 2011 Explorer with halogen headlights use a single filament bulb. The halogen high beams work the same way as the HID high beams - by raising/lowering a shield to block the high beam pattern when not in use.

With xenon you don't have multiple filaments in the bulb or capsule, so to create a low and high beam there will be a mechanically activated shutter mounted in the housing to meter the amount of light projected out.
Correct, and that's the same functionality you get with the projection beam headlights outfitted with halogens on the Explorer.

The other thing that will be different will be the inclusion of a mechanism to automatically level the headlamps. DOT regulations mandate that xenon headlights automatically raise and lower to ensure you're not dazzling oncoming traffic.
While most OEM HID lights are auto-leveling, I don't think this is actually a DOT requirement. I did a lot of research on this before I bought my HID kit, I couldn't find anything to support that. Wikipedia says auto-leveling isn't required in North America, not that will hold up in court, but it's all I could find. I believe the STi for example doesn't have auto-leveling HIDs.

With the '11 Explorer, both the HID and halogen setups use a projection beam configuration. The lens itself might be a little different, but they're pretty similar. There are indeed other differences in the housing, as the mount for the halogen bulb is very different than the HID mount. But I wouldn't be surprised if that's the only difference.

I was leafing through the user's manual recently, and there's an example of what the beam pattern of a halogen equipped Explorer and a Xenon equipped Explorer look like, and they do throw off a different pattern. They're both projector, but it would appear the projectors are different between them.

Incorrect. The 2011 Explorer with halogen headlights use a single filament bulb. The halogen high beams work the same way as the HID high beams - by raising/lowering a shield to block the high beam pattern when not in use.

Yeah, I noticed that recently. It certainly would make retrofitting Xenons into the Explorer a lot more straight forward.

While most OEM HID lights are auto-leveling, I don't think this is actually a DOT requirement. I did a lot of research on this before I bought my HID kit, I couldn't find anything to support that. Wikipedia says auto-leveling isn't required in North America, not that will hold up in court, but it's all I could find. I believe the STi for example doesn't have auto-leveling HIDs.

A quick lazy search didn't turn up anything for me other than a Wikipedia article (possibly the same one you saw) that says the DOT does not enforce the same ECE requirements for auto leveling lamps. Then again, the source cited in the article seems to be from motivemag.com which even though is a pretty good forum, I don't know that it would be a bullet proof source for DOT regulations.

If you order a kit, i would get something in the 4300K - 4700K color range. I ordered my 5000K kit before I had much knowledge and the bulbs are too blue for my taste. I'm thinking about ordering a set of replacement bulbs in case I ever need them, and will get something in the 4300K - 47000K color range.

Would you have pictures of your setup? I actually like the bluer hue in HIDs

I was doing some research on the OEM halogen vs. OEM HID headlights..and both look like they have a mounting place for the ballast. So it looks like the same housing....I'm thinking the difference in price is because the OEM HID contains the ballast and bulbs which definitely cost more than halogen bulbs. Take a look at the picture below which is an OEM halogen housing... but you can obviously see a mounting spot for the ballast which is left empty since this is the halogen housing.

IMG_5201.jpg

And the below link shows an E-Bay auction for an OEM HID headlight....If you look at picture 2 or 3..it shows the ballast mounted.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ford-explorer-2011-2012-headlight-hid-xenon-left-oem-/270794566729?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f0c9d2c49#ht_500wt_799

I'm still waiting for my '12 EX to arrive and will then order an aftermarket HID kit. I'm wondering if I can mount the aftermarket ballast into the stock mounting location.....

If you look on Ebay there's a hand full of housings for sale and all look the same whether halogen or HID. Granted... still can't tell whether the actual "projector" is the same or different but the housing itself look the same.

interested to know as well. i have a 55w kit on my TSX and i've been considering added one to the explorer but i was unsure of the projector cutoff would be the same.

I was doing some research on the OEM halogen vs. OEM HID headlights..and both look like they have a mounting place for the ballast. So it looks like the same housing....I'm thinking the difference in price is because the OEM HID contains the ballast and bulbs which definitely cost more than halogen bulbs. Take a look at the picture below which is an OEM halogen housing... but you can obviously see a mounting spot for the ballast which is left empty since this is the halogen housing.

They are not the same housing in at least one way, pictured below, you will see the front says the bulb type, D3S. All HID headlights(and halogen as well) have the bulb type imprinted on the front of the housing.

20111129_152308.jpg

And in all honesty, while the HID's are not bad, they suck in comparison to other cars I've driven. See below to compare with an Acura RDX single xenon projector.

20111103_210347-1.jpg

I agree. Even with the halogen projectors I see hotspots. In the photo you posted above, I see hotspots vs. the RDX which is seamless.

And in all honesty, while the HID's are not bad, they suck in comparison to other cars I've driven. See below to compare with an Acura RDX single xenon projector.

20111103_210347-1.jpg

Has anyone seen if it is possible to convert out non-HID Projectors to accept the factory one? If so, what parts are required?

Has anyone actually tried to swap the whole halogen headlight assembly with factory HID assembly? I know a lot of people just install HID kits in their halogen assemblies but I'm actually pursuing the whole headlight swap route.
Does anyone know if there is any programing required? Any delay harnes required or fuse upgrades? Are factory HID's 35w or 55w?

Has anyone actually tried to swap the whole halogen headlight assembly with factory HID assembly? I know a lot of people just install HID kits in their halogen assemblies but I'm actually pursuing the whole headlight swap route.
Does anyone know if there is any programing required? Any delay harnes required or fuse upgrades? Are factory HID's 35w or 55w?

I have developed a wiring harness adapter for these HID lights, anyone interested just shoot me a pm. The entire harness is plug and play, no wire splicing involved!

I have developed a wiring harness adapter for these HID lights, anyone interested just shoot me a pm. The entire harness is plug and play, no wire splicing involved!

So the HID harness for stock lights are different? I'd be ingested to see.

Swapping out Halogen for Xenon Assemblies

I want to post my experience, for those out there googling this. My 2013 Explorer Limited came with factory Halogens. After 1 year of not being able to see very well, I decided to upgrade to HID via an aftermarket kit. That did not work.. I actually see less now.

So this year, I found someone selling 2 completely new Factory HID assemblies... that means housing, bulb and ballast. I bought them at great expense, and received them in perfect condition. They look the same, except they have a ballast on the bottom.

I take them to the shop, dismount the old ones, and swap the new ones in. Lo and behold, the lights wont turn on.

We start looking into wiring and whatnot, and find that my limited did not come with fuses 78 and 61, which correspond to RH and LH HID headlights. We put in the appropriate 20A fuses, and still no light. Apparently, the fuses have nothing to plug in to... no contacts!

My local Ford dealer refuses to install them as I did not purchase through them ( I thought this was terrible...)

So.. if anyone has anything to add, I would greatly appreciate it. Otherwise, BEWARE!!!

Back