Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Faded interior door panels

Discussion in 'Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers' started by Joey Threesticks, April 3, 2017.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Joey Threesticks

Joey Threesticks New Member

City, State:
    Omaha
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2007 Explorer Limited
    Hey guys,

Just wondering if anybody else has experienced this or has any advice.

I have an '07 limited with the "camel" interior, and the plastics on my driver & passenger doors are sun faded at the top. They look a little chalky, like the UV from the sun has gotten to them over the years. Is there any way to restore these plastics without completely replacing them? That's farther than I'd like to go on a truck this age.

Thanks.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. mhocken

mhocken New Member

City, State:
    Louisville, KY.
    2001 Sport
    Mine has faded the exact same way.

4. Explorer_PL

Explorer_PL Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Rockland County, NY
    06EB V8 & 07EB V6
    Just did mine.

Took the door panels off, took them apart, bunch of 7 mm screws. Taped the lighter part with blue masking tape.
    Bought LPV326 spray paint (Ford Camel) and spray them many times with a light coat.
    Looks like new. The paint is about $ 30 a can on eBay. I was able to use one can for both doors.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 07EddyB

07EddyB Active Member

City, State:
    Bowling Green, KY
    2007 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8
    Mine has the same issue. I read that heat would bring the color back so I pulled them and used a heat gun to 'bring' the color back to the top. That actually did work but I would not recommend it. For one thing, it left glossy spots where it took more heat and secondly it didn't last more than a few months. Been considering the paint approach myself.