• Register Today It's free!

Failed inspection no OBDII data

SFAdad

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLS
My 2003 Ford Explorer could not pass inspection today because the OBD II data could not be retrieved. The technition said it was probably a fuse. When I got home I checked the fuse and it was good. I also noticed that the check engine light is not coming on when the ingnition is on without the engine running.
The car runs fine. Any idea what could be wrong?

Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bad PCM? Happened to me, but wasn't an explorer.

I also noticed that the check engine light is not coming on when the ingnition is on without the engine running.

I incorrectly stated that the "Check Engine Light" was not coming on. It is coming on when the ignition is turned on but the engine is not running.
But it is a "Service Engine Soon" light.

I would almost still lean towards a bad pcm, worth checking out at least.

Looks like I got lucky. Everything passed inspections today. The only thing I did was pull the fuse out and put it back in. Maybe there was some oxidation build up on the contacts. Not really sure.

I got rejected for one emissions test due to insufficient data. I had unplugged the battery a few days before the test and the computer that reads the data requires there be 150-200 miles driven to accumulate enough data points for it to read. I came back a few days later after putting more miles on and it passed. Maybe your data was cleared somehow and you had not driven enough miles for the shop computer to do a legitimate reading.

I suppose that is possible. Maybe the technician accidentally cleared the data and was too embarrassed to say anything. Either way I'm glad it passed without me having to shell out $$ for a new PCM.

Back