1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Familiar With Western NC?

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by Robb, December 23, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

The wife and I will will be making our way through western NC next Friday, and somewhere along this route, we are going to stop for the evening. I am hoping to split a drive in two, and according to my calculations, the "middle" of the drive should be right at Hickory, NC. We will be on I40 at this point, going between Asheville and Winston-Salem.

So, Hickory becomes my optimal point to stop, as far as a good mid-point, but is there anything in Hickory worth stopping for? From pics, it looks like a nice little town, then again, I have seen pics of ghetto Richmond that make those areas look nice. As long as it is semi-nice there, that will be our stop.

BUT, is there anyplace within, say +/- 45 mintues or so, of Hickory, along I40, that would be a better place to stop? I wouldn't mind stopping in Asheville for the sights, but that leaves my second leg of the trip too long. Winston-salem makes my first leg too long.

So, let me word it this way. If you were traveling along I40 between Asheville and WS, where would you stop for the night? Is there anything insteresting (fascinating, historical, etc) that we should make a point of seeing in this area?

Thanks!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. performancenut

performancenut Active Member

City, State:
      Eastern North Carolina
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '97 XLT 5.0
      Having spent a little time in the western portion of the state of NC, I'd highly recommend Asheville as a stop point. I think you'll find that it will be well worth modifying a leg for the various offerings of this particular city. Have a great trip.

4. '96explorereddiebauer

'96explorereddiebauer Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Clemmons, NC
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '06 Honda Accord EX-L
      Ditto!! People are extremely nice there and some of the food offered there are unheard of. It's a great place to stop.

5. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

Damnit!! You guys are convincing me!!

I would love to stop and visit Biltmore, amongst other things, but that leaves me with a 6-7 hour drive back home (I am not big on driving that long).

Heck, maybe we can make another night of it, and split that 6-7 hour trip up also.

DAMN YOU GUYS!!!! :p