Fan blower switch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fan blower switch

dr fildo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mercury Mounaineer
When I turn the fan on (heat or a/c) the third setting (2 clicks to the right) doesn't blow any faster than the second setting (one click to the right). Full power works well. Is this some problem in the fan or in the switch? Is this something that can be fixed, or should I leave it alone?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

could be the switch or the ballast resistor.

I thought the ballast resistor's job was primarily to absorb heat? If the resistor is the problem, is that something that is separately replaceable?

I thought the ballast resistor's job was primarily to absorb heat? If the resistor is the problem, is that something that is separately replaceable?

it's job is to reduce voltage to the blower motor. it does so by providing resistance, which creates heat. they can and do burn out.

yes, it is replaceable separately. it is located near the blower motor (accessible through the engine compartment). it is screwed into the heater plenum at about the 5 o'clock position, relative to the blower motor. once removed, it should be obvious if it's bad.

^apparently common failure. I had the same issue.

Your welcome. BTW, you might find it easier to go through the passenger side wheel well to get at the ballast resistor, rather than from the top.

I'm going to attempt it! It's something that has been bugging me for a couple years now. Thanks for the info and the input.

I'm going to attempt it! It's something that has been bugging me for a couple years now. Thanks for the info and the input.

not much to it. unplug the wire connector, remove 2 screws and pull the old one out. new one goes in in reverse order.

I had the exact same issue with my 01 Mountaineer. 3rd speed was the same as second. Replaced the switch (less than $15 from AutoZone) and it works perfectly again.

I had the exact same issue with my 01 Mountaineer. 3rd speed was the same as second. Replaced the switch (less than $15 from AutoZone) and it works perfectly again.

jamie3529gq - Are you talking about the switch on the center console or the resistor?

The resistor is not in the cab,(inside)it's on the passenger side wheel well, as seen from the wheel well looking toward the floor board. You should not miss it, or go on YouTube to be sure what your looking at...And yes you could type in at youtube.com what you want to fix and it should show you step by step.....

I might have to do this in the future. The blower on my truck only works on high.

jamie3529gq - Are you talking about the switch on the center console or the resistor?

i just noticed this question asked of me. A little late but... it was the 4 position switch in the dash i replaced, not the resistor.

Thanks, Jamie. I replaced the 4 position switch in the dash and VOILA. Working perfectly.

Back